R. Tyrrell Rockafellar
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|Ralph Tyrrell Rockafellar|
R. Tyrrell ("Terry") Rockafellar in 1977
February 10, 1935 |
|Residence||Washington, United States|
|Institutions||University of Washington 1966-
University of Florida (adjunct) 2003-
University of Texas, Austin 1963–1965
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|Thesis||Convex Functions and Dual Extremum Problems (1963)|
|Doctoral advisor||Garrett Birkhoff|
|Notable students||Peter Wolenski
|Known for||Convex analysis
Calculus of variation
|Influences||Albert W. Tucker
Roger J-B Wets
|Influenced||Roger J-B Wets|
|Notable awards||Dantzig Prize of SIAM and MPS 1982
von Neumann citation of SIAM 1992
Frederick W. Lanchester Prize of INFORMS 1997-1998
John von Neumann Theory Prize of INFORMS 1999
Doctor Honoris Causa:
Groningen, Montpellier, Chile, Alicante
Ralph Tyrrell Rockafellar (born February 10, 1935) is one of the world's leaders in optimization theory and related fields of analysis and combinatorics. He is professor emeritus at the departments of mathematics and applied mathematics at the University of Washington, Seattle. He was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Rockafellar received the John von Neumann Theory Prize from the Institute for Operations Research and Management Science and delivered the 1993 von Neumann lecture for the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM).
Rockafellar and his coauthor Roger J-B Wets were awarded the Frederick W. Lanchester Prize for 1997 by Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS).
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell (1997). Convex analysis. Princeton landmarks in mathematics (Reprint of the 1979 Princeton mathematical series 28 ed.). Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. pp. xviii+451. ISBN 0-691-01586-4. MR 1451876.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell. Conjugate duality and optimization. Lectures given at the Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Md., June, 1973. Conference Board of the Mathematical Sciences Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics, No. 16. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, Pa., 1974. vi+74 pp.
- Rockafellar, Ralph T. The theory of subgradients and its applications to problems of optimization. Convex and nonconvex functions. Heldermann Verlag, Berlin, 1981. vii+107 pp. ISBN 3-88538-201-6
- R. T. Rockafellar. 1984. Network Flows and Monotropic Optimization. Wiley.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell; Wets, Roger J-B (2005) . Variational analysis (PDF). Grundlehren der mathematischen Wissenschaften (Fundamental Principles of Mathematical Sciences) 317 (third corrected printing ed.). Berlin: Springer-Verlag. pp. xiv+733. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-02431-3. ISBN 978-3-540-62772-2. MR 1491362. Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- Dontchev, Asen L. and Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell. Implicit functions and solution mappings. A view from variational analysis. Springer Monographs in Mathematics. Springer, Dordrecht, 2009. xii+375 pp. ISBN 978-0-387-87820-1.
- Rockafellar, R. T. On the maximal monotonicity of subdifferential mappings. Pacific J. Math. 33 1970 209—216.
- Rockafellar, R. T. The multiplier method of Hestenes and Powell applied to convex programming. J. Optimization Theory Appl. 12 (1973), 555—562.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell Augmented Lagrange multiplier functions and duality in nonconvex programming. SIAM J. Control 12 (1974), 268—285.
- Rockafellar, R. T. Augmented Lagrangians and applications of the proximal point algorithm in convex programming. Math. Oper. Res. 1 (1976), no. 2, 97—116.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell. Lagrange multipliers and optimality. SIAM Rev. 35 (1993), no. 2, 183—238. (1992 John von Neumann Lecture)
- Rockafellar, R. T. (1969). "The Elementary Vectors of a Subspace of ” (1967)". In R. C. Bose and T. A. Dowling. Combinatorial Mathematics and its Applications (PDF). The University of North Carolina Monograph Series in Probability and Statistics. Chapel Hill, North Carolina: University of North Carolina Press. pp. 104–127. MR 278972.
- Rockafellar, R. T. and Wets, Roger J.-B.. "Scenarios and policy aggregation in optimization under uncertainty". Math. Oper. Res. 16 (1991), no. 1, 119—147.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell Monotone processes of convex and concave type. Memoirs of the American Mathematical Society, No. 77 American Mathematical Society, Providence, R.I. 1967 i+74 pp.
- In the Institute for Scientific Information highly cited researcher list, Rockafellar's author id is "A0071-2003-A".
- Aardal, Karen (July 1995). "Optima interview Roger J.-B. (sic.) Wets" (PDF). Optima: Mathematical Programming Society Newsletter: 3–5.
- "An Interview with R. Tyrrell Rockafellar" (PDF). SIAG/Opt News and Views 15 (1). 2004.
- Citation of R. Tyrrell Rockafellar for the George Dantzig Prize in 1994 in Optima, Issue 44 (1994) page 5.
- Wets, Roger J-B (23 November 2005), Wets, Roger J-B, ed., "Special Issue on Variational Analysis, Optimization, and their Applications (Festschrift for the 70th Birthday of R. Tyrrell Rockafellar)", Mathematical Programming (Berlin and Heidelberg: Springer Verlag) 104 (2): 203–204, doi:10.1007/s10107-005-0612-5, ISSN 0025-5610
- Homepage of R. Tyrrell Rockafellar at the University of Washington.
- R. Tyrrell Rockafellar at the Mathematics Genealogy Project