A diffusion line (also known as a bridge line) is a secondary line of merchandise created by a high-end fashion house or fashion designer that retails at lower prices. These ranges are separate from a fashion house's "signature line", or principal artistic line, that typically retail at much higher prices. Diffusion products may be on sale alongside designers' signature line but they can also be made available at concession outlets and certain chain stores. The use of a diffusion line is a part of the strategy of massification where luxury brands attempt to reach a broader market in order to increase revenue and brand recognition.
Diffusion ranges serve several purposes for designers. They can substantially increase sales volumes as their products become affordable to a wider audience at the lower price point, with the designer at the same time leveraging the desirability of their premium ranges to create a kind of halo effect. They can also be a response to offset the effect of chain stores copying their products and undercutting the designer's prices.
- Jopson, Barney (2011-06-06). "Middle market: Second-tier brands tap into straitened times". Financial Times. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Cumming, Valerie; Cunnington, Cecil Willett; Cunnington, Phillis E.; Charles Relly Beard (15 November 2010). The Dictionary of Fashion History. Bloomsbury Academic. p. 66. ISBN 978-1-84788-534-0.
- Robson, Julia (3 April 2006). "Second String, First Class". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- Schimminger, Morgan C. (2011-05-27). "Five Top-Notch Designer Diffusion Lines". The Fashion Spot. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Robson, Julia (2006-04-03). "Second string, first class". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- "What will happen to Ralph Lauren without Ralph?". 2014-05-09.
- "The U.S. Brands You Need To Know".
- Wilson, Eric (17 July 2013). "Rick Owens Opens a SoHo Pop-Up". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Fearon, Francesca (2014-10-01). "Cavalli, Gucci, Ferretti and Max Mara revive the 70s in Milan". The Australian. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Jacobs, Alexandra (18 September 2014). "Milan Fashion Week Morning Report, Day 2". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Paxman, Lauren (2011-12-09). "Cut-price Karl: Chanel designer launches £50-£300 diffusion line". The Daily Mail. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Kermali, Sarah (2012-10-24). "Penelope And Monica Cruz Design Lingerie Line". Vogue. Retrieved 2014-10-28.
- "About Us - Andrew Marc". Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- Bumpus, Jessica (2014-10-22). "The Marc by Marc Jacobs Momentum". Vogue. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Alexander, Ella (2012-09-17). "Alistair Carr Joins McQ". Vogue. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Edelson, Sharon (2008-11-18). "McQueen on Target". Women's Wear Daily. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- "The fashion designer who fits and flatters". The Independent. 2009-11-25. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Lutz, Ashley (15 February 2013). "Michael Kors Just Beat Every Other Fashion Brand". Business Insider. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- "Treat Yourself With Mimi". Vogue. 2003-12-30. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Cowles, Charlotte (2012-10-03). "Michelle Obama Wore Jason Wu's New Label Before Everyone Else". The Cut. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Wischhover, Cheryl (2013-06-07). "Marchesa Launching Beauty Line with Revlon". Fashionista. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- "Marchesa Makeup For Revlon Launches With Nail Art". The Huffington Post. 2013-06-07. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- St. James, Matthew (2011-01-18). "Vera Wang Brand History". Fashion in Time. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Lysacek, Evan. "Vera Wang". Interview. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Karmali, Sarah (2013-05-28). "Sonia Rykiel's New Footwear Partner". Vogue. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Menkes, Suzy (2012-02-28). "Chloe and Rykiel Secondary Lines Are Coming Into Their Own". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Clott, Sharon (2009-01-15). "Alexander Wang's Diffusion Line Drops in Two Weeks". The Cut. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Castrillo, François (2013-10-07). "M.I.A. pour Versus Versace" [M.I.A. for Versus Versace]. Vogue Paris (in French). Translated by Holly Meehan. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Milligan, Lauren (2011-08-13). "Victoria's Other Wardrobe". Vogue. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- London, Bianca (2014-06-11). "Victoria unveils sneak peek of AW14 collection". Mail Online. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Tyrrel, Rebecca (16 January 2003). "The King of the Cobblers". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- Achara, sther Adams (2010-04-15). "Zac Posen for Target Launches—And One Londoner Just Can't Wait". Vogue. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Karmali, Sarah (2013-02-06). "Zac Posen Launches New Contemporary Line". Vogue. Retrieved 2014-10-27.