A Rad Mobile cabinet behind an After Burner cabinet.
|Platform(s)||Arcade, Sega Saturn|
|Arcade system||Sega System 32|
Rad Mobile (ラッドモビール) is a video game developed by Sega-AM2 and published by Sega. This game was first released in arcades in January 1991, then it was ported to the Sega Saturn in December 1994 under the name Gale Racer (ゲイルレーサー). Sega followed up on the success of Rad Mobile by making a sequel, Rad Rally for the arcades in 1991, which is a two player version of Rad Mobile.Rad Mobile was Sega's first ever 32bit game.
Rad Mobile takes place in a first person perspective and has the player engage into a non-stop road race across the USA while avoiding traffic and police cars under the time limit. The only player controlled car is a Ferrari 330 P4 type prototype racing against computer controlled opponents driving generic cars. The player races with fifteen other rivals across the track, all attempting to prevent the player from winning. During some of the courses the player has the opportunity to activate different controls, which include headlights for night driving and windshield wipers during rainstorms. If the player does not activate these controls when prompted, effects such as a restricted view of the road or a wet windshield will occur.
On release, Sega Saturn Tsūshin scored the Sega Saturn version of the game a 24 out of 40. Sinclair User gave the arcade version a score of 74 out of 100 and C+VG gave an above average review stating that the game is technically superb and has exceptionally realistic 3D but lacks original features.
In 1994 a port of Rad Mobile released in Japan known as Gale Racer for the Sega Saturn. It updated several things from its arcade counterpart, such as all sprite cars being polygon rendered, a new FMV intro when the player starts the game and an all new soundtrack. It featured a save system as well as new keychains based on Sonic characters depending on what mascots the player had in the game.
- "Rad Mobile". The Arcade Flyer Archive. arcade-museum.com. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Rad Mobile". Mobygames. Mobygames.com. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Rad Rally". Sega Retro. Segaretro.org. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Rad Mobile / Gale Racer 1990". System 16 The Arcade Museum. System16.com. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Rad Mobile". Sega Retro. Segaretro.org. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- SegaSaturn GameCross Review: ゲイルレーサー. Sega Saturn Tsūshin. No.1. Pg.7. 2 December 1994.
- "RAD MOBILE REVIEW". solvalou.com. Sinclair User. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "RAD MOBILE REVIEW". solvalou.com. Computer+Video Games. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Rad Mobile - Première apparition de Sonic The Hedgehog". YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Encino Man - Link Gets Punched". YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Gale Racer". GamePro. No. 68. IDG. March 1995. p. 34. Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- Rad Mobile and Rad Rally at System 16 - The Arcade Museum
- Rad Mobile at Killer List of Videogames
- Rad Rally at Killer List of Videogames
- Rad Mobile Owner's manual Deluxe Type at the The International Arcade Museum
- Rad Mobile U/R Adjustment Instruction at the The International Arcade Museum
- Rad Mobile at MobyGames