This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Total||76.08 km2 (29.375 sq mi)|
|Elevation||259 m (850 ft)|
|• Official||Punjabi, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||PB 11 and PB 39|
|Sex ratio||1000:900 ♂/♀|
Rajpura is located at  It has an average elevation of 259 metres (849 feet). Rajpura is situated nearly 38 km south east of Chandigarh, the capital city of Punjab. Besides being an important industrial town of Punjab, it also has historical importance..
Rajpura is surrounded by a number of major cities like Chandigarh (38 km north), Patiala (24 km south), Ambala (23 km east) and Ludhiana (83 km west). Rajpura acts as middle point between Amritsar and Delhi on National Highway 1 NH1 as these cities are 225 km away from Rajpura in opposite directions.
In the 2011 India census, Rajpura Municipal Council had a population of 92,301 including 48,340 males and 43,961 females giving a Sex Ratio of 909. There were 9,922 children aged 0-6 i.e. 10.7 % of the total population. There was a literacy rate of 86.42% (males 89.83%, females 82.70%) much higher than the state average of 75.84%.
The name of Rajpura appears in the history as Emperor Sher Shah Suri "The Lion King", and founder of the Suri Dynasty built a "Sarai" (Inn) in Rajpura for travellers and for his army when ever he passed through Rajpura. This Sarai was built during the Suri Dynasty, between 1540 and 1545. The more-than-450-year-old Sarai is almost in shambles now but still stands bold. This Sarai today houses the offices of SDM, Tehsildar and DSP of police. The Sarai needs urgent attention of ASI (Archaeological Survey of India) so that this historical monument of Rajpura can be preserved as a mark in the history.
Rajpura as a tehsil includes 295 villages under its municipal limits and is biggest tehsil in Punjab. Rajpura has north India's only orphanage center "SOS".
Rajpura can be divided into three parts. One is Rajpura Township, the second is Old Rajpura and third is Focal Point.
Rajpura is an industrial town. There are number of large-scale industries like Hindustan Unilever HUL (formerly known as HLL), Bunge India P Ltd, Siel Chemicals Limited, Alliance Metaliks Integrated Ltd (AMTEK GROUP), Amber Enterprises Limited, Sahni Chemicals and Sai Home Products etc. there are large number of small-scale industries. In small-scale industries, Rajpura is a hub of door closers, rice shellers, biomass briquette machinery, soap factories, household manufacturers, biscuit machines industry and steel works. L&T has constructed 1400 MW (2x700 MW) Rajpura Thermal Power Plant near Village Nalas under power purchase agreement. The first unit, according to the power purchase agreement signed in January 2010, will be commissioned by January 2014 followed by the second in May that year. Also there are plans to further add 700 mW power capacity to the Rajpura Power Plant in Punjab making it 2100 mW project. This project marks the L&T's entry into the power generation segment as a developer.
In 2005, a diamond jewellery manufacturing unit was started and is engaged in the manufacturing and supply of diamond studded gold jewellery and also kundan, polky and Mina, etc.– the only of its kind unit in this area.
Mainly the small scale industries are located in the focal point. All industrial units are bounded in a chain of association named "Rajpura Small Scale Industries Association".
The grain market of Rajpura is one of the largest grain markets of Asia, top at the list is grain market of Khanna, it acquires near about 150 acres of area and comprises more than 290 shops.
Warehousing and logistics hub
Rajpura is situated at the junction of National Highway No. 1 which runs from New Delhi to Attari in Punjab and National Highway 64 which runs from Chandigarh to Dabwali, making Rajpura a good distribution centre. Rajpura is regarded as 'Gateway of Punjab' as all road and rail transport needs to touch Rajpura for the routes going to other major cities of Punjab as well as Jammu & Kashmir. Rajpura Junction is the first Railway Junction in Punjab while coming from Delhi side. The rail lines are diverted from here to 2 major lines catering to Punjab. One is to Amritsar and J&K; and the other towards Patiala, Bathinda and Rajasthan.
Rajpura has been known for its quality furniture since 1976. People from nearby areas like Patiala, Chandigarh and Himachal come here for their furniture, which is also exported to different countries.Due to its proximity to Chandigarh, Patiala, Zirakpur and Ambala, as well as its well connected rail and road links, Rajpura is gradually emerging as warehousing and logistics hub of Punjab.
Rajpura has a rice shelling industry.
Rajpura has become a major educational hub of the North, attracting students, some even from South India and from other countries.
Rajpura offers education in CBSE, ICSE and PSEB (local board) affiliation and some popular schools include:
- Holy Angels School, the only school in the region affiliated to ICSE board
- Adharshila The Foundation Senior Secondary School, Rajpura (Affiliated to C.B.S.E.)
- Bharti Vidya Vatika, village - Madanpur Chalheri.
- CM Model High School
- CM Public School, Rajpura (Affiliated to CBSE)
- DAV Public Sr. Sec. School
- Durga Bal Vidya Mandir School also known as Biscuit Factory School, Rajpura.
- Govt Co.Ed Senior Secondary School (N.T.C)
- Govt. High School, Rajpura Town
- Govt. School for Girls, Rajpura Town
- ICL Public School (Jasper school)
- Mukat Public School
- Patel Public School
- Public Modern High School, the oldest school in the region affiliated to CBSE board.
- Scholars Public school
- Shivaji Model Sr. Sec. School, village - Khera Gajju
- Shri K.K Senior Secondary School
- SD Public School CBSE.
Rajpura offers education in professional courses such as Bachelors in Physiotherapy (B.P.T.) B.tech, M.tech, MBA, MCA, B.com, M.com, B.pharma, D.pharma, PGDM, PGDCA, BDS, MBBS, ENT, MD and BCA. Some of the important institutes of Rajpura are:
- Apple Group of Institutes
- Aryans Group Of Colleges
- IHM BANUR - Institute of Hospitality and Management, Banur
- Dr. IT Institute of Management
- Gian Sagar College of Physiotherapy
- Gurukul Vidyapeeth Institute of Engg. & Tech
- Gyan Jyoti Institute of Engg. & Tech
- Gyan Sagar Medical College & Hospital
- ITI for Boys
- ITI for Girls
- National Small Industries Corporation, Technical Services Centre, Focal Point, Rajpura
- Kasturba College for Girls
- PMN College
- Punjab Art & Craft Medical Training Institute
- Punjab Institute of Technology for Girls at Work Center Colony
- Regional Telecom Training Centre of BSNL
- Shivalik CTI
- Sai Technical Institute
- Sai Training Institute (For Girls)
- Surya Group of Institutes of Engg. & Tech
- St. Thomas Roman Catholic Church Patiala Byepass
- Guruduwara Shaheed Baba Sukha Singh Ji (SGPC)
- Church of North India (CNI) Back Side janta School
- Sharon Fellowship Panticostal Church
- Bright Candel Church
- Durga Mandir in town
- Mandir Sri Thakurdwara (Old Rajpura)
- Singh Sahbaha Guruduwara
- Geeta bhawan mandir
- Laxmi Narayan Mandir (Panjiri Plant)
- Shiv Mandir (On main road opposite Shiva Ji park)
- Shiv Mandir Nalash
- Shri Satya Narayan Mandir
- Shiv Mandir (nilpur)
- Amar Lal Sai Mandir (Panjiri Plant)
- Jamia Masjid Sharif (Mohinderganj Rajpura)
Rajpura has the following average temperature and precipitation
|Climate data for Rajpura|
|Average high °C (°F)||19
|Average low °C (°F)||2
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||20
- "Rajpura Population Census 2011". census2011.co. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Maps, Weather, and Airports for Rajpura, India".
- "Google Maps".
- "Average Weather for Rajpura - Temperature and Precipitation". The Weather Channel. Retrieved 25 February 2008.