|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
U.S. CD maxi-single
|Single by The B-52's|
|from the album Cosmic Thing|
|Genre||Pop rock, new wave, jangle pop|
|Writer(s)||Kate Pierson, Fred Schneider, Keith Strickland, Robert Waldrop, Cindy Wilson|
|The B-52's singles chronology|
"Roam" is the fourth single from The B-52's' 1989 hit album Cosmic Thing, following "(Shake That) Cosmic Thing," "Channel Z," and "Love Shack." "Roam" was a number-three hit on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in March 1990, spending a total of 19 weeks on the chart, and was certified Gold by the RIAA. The vocals are sung by Kate Pierson and Cindy Wilson. In February 1991 The B-52s were nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group for "Roam".
The Discovery Channel used "Roam" in its own television commercials throughout the late 1990s. Subaru of New Zealand used it in a 2004 commercial. The song is playable in the music video game Rock Band. "Roam" is also used as the theme for the Peter Greenberg Worldwide Radio Show in the SSI Radio Network. The song has been used on PBS World. The song was used in the unaired pilot of the sitcom "Get A Life" and on an episode of Hindsight. "Roam" was used in Mary-Kate and Ashley's movie When in Rome (2002 film) and in the soundtrack for "When in Rome". "Roam" was later used in the Disney Channel commercial for The Lizzie McGuire Movie.
Track listing U.S. Maxi-Single [CD 9 21441-2]
- "Roam" (7" Remix) - 5:11
- "Roam" (Radio Mix) - 4:13
- "Roam" (12" Remix) - 8:17
- "Bushfire" (LP Version) - 4:56
- "Roam" (Extended Remix) - 5:25
- "Roam" (Instrumental) - 5:27
- "Roam" (Miami Phunky Break Mix) Time Capsule The Mixes - 7:35
- "Roam" (Indamix Tekno Mix) Time Capsule The Mixes - 10:10
- "Roam" (Single Edit) U.S. Cassette Single - 4:01
- "Roam" (LP Version) Cosmic Thing - 4:54
- "Roam" (Dusty Trailmix) Prime Cuts Volume 2 Issue 12 - 6:59
- A parody of the song and video, called "Comb," was a skit on Fast Forward in 1990 as The B-52's began the Australian leg of their Cosmic Tour. The video, which poked fun at Pierson's and Wilson's bouffant wigs, starred Gina Riley and Jane Turner.
- The song was performed by the cast of the 2002 stage version of Earth Girls Are Easy.
- The Yayhoos covered the song on their 2006 album Put The Hammer Down.
- The Chipettes covered the song for the 1991 album The Chipmunks Rock the House.
- The Argentine female singer Marcela Morelo covered the song on their 2009 album "Otro Plan" in a Spanish version
- Caroline Sunshine covered the song for the soundtrack to the 2012 film Treasure Buddies.
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||11|
|UK Singles Chart||17|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||3|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Airplay||2|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||10|
|U.S. Billboard Modern Rock Tracks||6|
End of year charts
|End of year chart (1990)||Position|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||40|