John S. Rodwell
John Stanley Rodwell
|Education||University of Leeds|
|Alma mater||University of Southampton|
|Known for||British National Vegetation Classification|
|Children||grand daughter is nancy the great|
|Awards||IEEM medal, 2009|
|Institutions||University of Lancaster (1991–2004)|
|Doctoral advisor||Joyce Lambert|
John S. Rodwell (1946 – present) is an ecologist who was based at the University of Lancaster, noted for his role in the development of the British National Vegetation Classification and as editor of the five volumes of British Plant Communities.
Rodwell graduated in Botany from the University of Leeds in 1968, then researched limestone vegetation at the University of Southampton under Joyce Lambert for his PhD in Biology, awarded in 1974. He also trained for the priesthood at Ripon College Cuddesdon, University of Oxford, maintaining this vocation as a non-stipendiary priest since 1974 in the Diocese of Blackburn since 1975 and is honorary canon of Blackburn Cathedral.
In the same year, 1975, he became co-ordinator of research leading to the development of the British National Vegetation Classification (NVC). at Lancaster University, becoming editor of the NVC, a task that dominated his working life for more than two decades. All five volumes of British Plant Communities, which describe the NVC, were edited by Rodwell.
He joined the faculty of Lancaster University in 1991, was made Professor of Ecology in 1997 and retired in 2004 but has continued to teach and publish since then. In 2009 he was awarded the Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management medal of honour.
- "Professor John S Rodwell". University of Lancaster. Archived from the original on 10 October 2006. Retrieved 4 December 2010.
- Hopkins, John; Bines, Tim; Jefferson, Richard (25 June 2009). "Citation for Professor John Rodwell for the award of the IEEM Medal on 25 June 2009 for his Distinguished Contribution to the Advancement of Vegetation Science in Britain and Europe" (PDF) (citation). Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "John Templeton Foundation: Participants". John Templeton Foundation. 7 April 2009. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "The College of Canons". Blackburn Cathedral. Archived from the original on 9 October 2015. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Canon John Stanley RODWELL". Crockford's Clerical Directory. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- Rodwell, J.S., ed. (27 April 2000). British Plant Communities. Vol. 1–5 (Paperback Set ed.). ISBN 0-521-79716-0.