|Single by Bilal Hassani|
|from the album Kingdom|
|Released||11 January 2019|
|Bilal Hassani singles chronology|
|Eurovision Song Contest 2019 entry|
|◄ "Mercy" (2018)|
"Roi" ([ʁwa]; transl. King) is a song performed by French singer Bilal Hassani and written by Hassani, Madame Monsieur and Medeline. The song represented France in the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 in Tel Aviv, Israel. The song was released as a digital download on 11 January 2019 through Low Wood as the lead single from his debut studio album Kingdom.
Eurovision Song Contest
On 6 December 2018, Bilal Hassani was confirmed as one of the 18 participants in Destination Eurovision 2019 with the song "Roi". He advanced from the first semi-final on 12 January 2019, after placing first with both the international jury and the public televote. He went on to compete in the final on 26 January, placing fifth with the international juries but winning a landslide share of the vote from the French public, amassing enough points to win the competition.
On February 15, The Music Video was Released on YouTube, It was set in a very grand theatre, the visual narrative begins with Hassani on backstage in his dressing room. It shows a rarely seen glimpse of the man beneath the wig. Once he’s applied his makeup and popped on his trademark blonde bob, he takes to the stage and belts out “Roi”. The performance was derived from Destination Eurovision final performance and the lyrics are dropped in the favour of moody lighting and soft-focus camerawork. However, his black outfit repleted with bejeweled shoulder pads remains.
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||4|
- "Roi". rateyourmusic.com.
- "Roi – Single par Bilal Hassani". Apple Music. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- "France: Destination Eurovision 2019 Semi-Finalists Revealed". eurovoix.com. Eurovoix. 6 December 2018. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
- Herbert, Emily (12 January 2019). "France: Destination Eurovision Semi-Final One Results". Eurovoix.
- Escudero, Victor M. (27 January 2019). "France: Bilal Hassani crowned king of 'Destination Eurovision'!". Eurosion.tv. European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 7 February 2019.
- Padraig Muldoon (February 15, 2019). "WATCH: France's Bilal Hassani releases official music video for "Roi"". Wiwibloggs. Retrieved February 18, 2019.
- "Ultratop.be – Bilal Hassani – Roi" (in French). Ultratip. Retrieved 8 February 2019.
- "Le Top de la semaine : Top Singles (téléchargement + streaming) – SNEP (Week 6, 2019)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 11 February 2019.