||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2015)|
26 April 1977 |
|Rank||Captain, Italian Air Force|
Time in space
|199d 16h 42m|
|Selection||2009 ESA Group|
|Missions||Soyuz TMA-15M (Expedition 42/43)|
Samantha Cristoforetti (Italian pronunciation: [saˈmanta kristofoˈrɛtti]; born 26 April 1977 in Milan) is an Italian European Space Agency astronaut, Italian Air Force pilot and engineer. She holds the records for longest single space flight by a woman (199 days 16 hours) and for the longest uninterrupted spaceflight of a European astronaut. She is also the first Italian woman in space. Samantha Cristoforetti is also known as the first person who brewed an espresso coffee in space.
Cristoforetti was born in Milan in 1977. She spent her childhood in Malè, in Val di Sole, Trentino, Italy. When she was 18, she took a US foreign exchange program and attended Space Camp. She studied in Bolzano and Trento and graduated from the Technical University of Munich with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. She studied at the École nationale supérieure de l'aéronautique et de l'espace in Toulouse, France, and at the Mendeleev Russian University of Chemistry and Technology in Moscow. She graduated in Aeronautics Sciences (University 'Federico II', Naples) at the Accademia Aeronautica in Pozzuoli, becoming one of the first women to be a lieutenant and fighter pilot in the Italian Air Force. She is the second Space Camp alumnus in orbit.
On 23 November 2014, Soyuz TMA-15M, carrying Cristoforetti and two other astronauts launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan. It successfully docked at the International Space Station roughly six hours later. Cristoforetti, along with her crew mates, returned safely from the ISS on 11 June 2015. A one month delay after the failure of two Russian rockets extended her stay in space past the European astronaut and female astronaut endurance records.
On 20 July 2015 she was awarded the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic (Italian: Ordine al merito della Repubblica Italiana) by President Mattarella. "She has been followed with affection and love by all Italians" said the Italian President. The Order of Merit is the senior order of knighthood, the highest ranking honour of the Republic.
Cristoforetti has been photographed with references to the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy on her uniform. On her uniform the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything (being 42) next to the subtitle of the book (being "Don't panic") was printed on a tag.
In April 2015, when the Dragon capsule bringing the space espresso machine arrived, she posted a picture of herself on Twitter wearing a Starfleet uniform, with the comment "'There's coffee in that nebula'... ehm, I mean... in that #Dragon" (referencing Captain Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager, and her love of coffee), and again with the first cup of coffee brewed on the ISS.
- Dutch astronaut loses space record to Italy's Cristoforetti, nltimes.nl; accessed 24 June 2015.
- "3 Space Station Astronauts Safely Return to Earth". The New York Times. 11 June 2015. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Samantha beats ESA astronaut single-duration record - Outpost 42". Outpost 42. Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- "To boldly brew: Italian astronaut makes first espresso in space". the Guardian. Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- "Space Camp Alumni Newsletter". http://spacecampalumni.com. Space and Rocket Center. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "Samantha Cristoforetti". A.S.I. - Agenzia Spaziale Italiana. Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- "Space Camp Alumni Newsletter". http://spacecampalumni.com/. Space and Rocket Center. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "ESA astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti set for Space Station in 2014". ESA website. 3 July 2012. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Associated Press (23 November 2014). "Crew docks at International Space Station". USA Today. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Samantha overtakes Sunita as holder of longest spaceflight for women". ESA. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Samantha Cristoforetti becomes Cavaliere di Gran Croce". Retrieved 2015-07-21.
- Samantha Cristoforetti – Futura Mission (2014), European Space Agency, esa.int; accessed 24 June 2015.
- "Sam Cristoforetti on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved September 26, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Samantha Cristoforetti.|
- ESA biography
- Spacefacts biography of Samantha Cristoforetti
- June 12 2015 Interview after Landing
- ESA Samantha Cristoforetti website
- Samantha Cristoforetti on Twitter
- astrosamantha on Flickr