Hole was born in Newark and educated at Brasenose College, Oxford. He was ordained in 1844 and spent 43 years at his father’s parish of St. Andrew's Church, Caunton, firstly as curate and from 1850 as its vicar. A prebendary of Lincoln Cathedral and an honorary chaplain to Edward Benson, the then Archbishop of Canterbury, he became Dean of Rochester in 1887. Noted for his expertise with roses and an inaugural recipient of the Royal Horticultural Society’s Victoria Medal of Honour.
- "Who was Who" 1897-2000 London, A & C Black, 2000 ISBN 0-7136-6125-9
- "Death Of Dean Hole", The Times, 29 August 1904; pg. 8; Issue 37485; col A
- "The Deans", Beeson,T.R: London, SCM, 2004 ISBN 0-334-02987-2
- Amongst others he wrote Hints to Freshmen (1847); A Little Tour in Ireland (1858); A Book about Roses (1869); A Book about the Garden and the Gardener (1899); and Then and Now (1901): British Library website accessed 8 June 2008
- The Rose King, Elias, G.A: Nottingham, Nottinghamshire County Council Leisure Services, 1994, ISBN 0-900943-56-4
- "New Dean Of Rochester", The Times, 13 December 1887; pg. 9; Issue 32254; col E
- "The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory" London, John Phillips, 1900
- "University Intelligence", The Times, 27 May 1844; p7; Issue 18620; col F
- The Times, 25 September 1844; pg. 7; Issue 18725; col A, "Ordinations, Lincoln"
- Southwell Churches
- Ecclesiastical Intelligence, The Morning Post (London, England), 17 June 1850; pg. 2; Issue 23874. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.
- Religious Intelligence, The Royal Cornwall Gazette Falmouth Packet, Cornish Weekly News & General Advertiser
- Church Intelligence, The Bury and Norwich Post and Suffolk Standard (Bury Saint Edmunds, England), 20 December 1887; pg. 3; Issue 5491, 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.
- A Book About Roes, The Morning Post, (London, England), 19 October 1869; pg. 3; Issue 29910, 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.
- Monument details
- Rochester Cathedral website
- Love, Dickon, "Rochester, Cathedral Church of Christ and The Blessed Virgin Mary", Church Bells of Kent, retrieved 24 June 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Samuel Hole.|
|Church of England titles|
|Dean of Rochester
|This horticulture article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a United Kingdom religious figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|