The Gardening Portal
Gardening is the practice of growing and cultivating plants as part of horticulture. In gardens, ornamental plants are often grown for their flowers, foliage, or overall appearance; useful plants, such as root vegetables, leaf vegetables, fruits, and herbs, are grown for consumption, for use as dyes, or for medicinal or cosmetic use. Gardening is considered by many people to be a relaxing activity.
Gardening ranges in scale from fruit orchards, to long boulevard plantings with one or more different types of shrubs, trees, and herbaceous plants, to residential back gardens including lawns and foundation plantings, and to container gardens grown inside or outside. Gardening may be very specialized, with only one type of plant grown, or involve a variety of plants in mixed plantings. It involves an active participation in the growing of plants, and tends to be labor-intensive, which differentiates it from farming or forestry. (Full article...)
Selected article -
Did you know...
Generally, seed packets labels includes:
- Common plant name and the botanical name (in parentheses).
- Space and deep: how deep to place the seeds in the soil, space between plants (from one row to the other one and from one plant to the other one in the same row).
- Height: approximate height the plant will reach when mature.
- Soil: type of soil the plant prefers.
- Water: It can indicate "keep the soil lightly damp", "bottom water the plant", "drench the soil with water", "daily misting of water" and "almost dry out before re-watering".
- Sun: full direct sunlight, partial sun, diffused sunlight, or grows well in the shade.
- Door and temperature: if the plant is best suited for growing Indoor, Outdoor or Both.
- Live: Perennial or annual.
- Planting, germination and harvest period: a lot of plant are planted in March. This information can be indicated by months or quarters of the year.
- Special requirements, if necessary.
This information can be represented graphically.
Things you can do
- This list is transcluded from the tasks list page. To edit the list, click here