List of fictional magic schools
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A magic school is an institution for learning magic, appearing in works of fantasy depicting worlds in which magic exists and in which there is an organized society of magicians or wizards who pass on their knowledge in a systematic way. It may also be a school which is magically protected, or a Faculty of Magic in a university which also teaches other subjects. In a more loose way, also a place where a single wizard teaches an apprentice can count as a magic school.
Magic schools include:
Dungeons and Dragons
- The Cave at Salamanca where the Devil supposedly taught among others Pope Sylvester II
- The Scholomance: a legendary school of black magic in Transylvania
- The Black School, where the Icelandic priest and scholar Sæmundr fróði supposedly learned magic from the Devil
Harry Potter universe
- Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in Scotland
- Beauxbatons Academy of Magic in France
- Durmstrang Institute for Magical Learning in Northern Europe
- Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in North America
- Uagadou in Africa
- Mahoutokoro in Japan
- Castelobruxo (pronounced cah-stelo-bru-sho) Amazon rainforest in Brazil
- Koldovstoretz in Russia
- Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts (W.A.D.A.)
Winx Club universe
- Alfea College, a magic school/college that teaches magic and its history for fairies featured in Winx Club.
- Beta Academy for Fairies, a rival school of Alfea College that teaches magic for fairies.
- Cloud Tower, a school that teaches dark magic for witches. A supposedly enemy school of Alfea College in the Winx Club series.
- College of Winterhold in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Arcane University in the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
- Rowan Academy, featured in The Hound of Rowan series. Henry H. Neff
- Burg Magic School, featured in Lunar: Walking School and its remake Magic School Lunar!
- Balamb Garden, a magic school featured in Final Fantasy VIII. Other "gardens" in this game include Galbadia Garden and Trabia Garden.
- Brakebills College for Magical Pedagogy, a fictional college in The Magicians by Lev Grossman
- Carthak University, in Tamora Pierce's Tortall books. Her books in the Circle universe also have a school of magic in the Winding Circle community.
- Greenlaw College, in A College of Magics by Caroline Stevermer
- Groosham Grange, an academy of witchcraft
- The Lisbon School of Magic, in Sofia Ester's books
- Magic School, a fictional school of magic which is a location of the Charmed television series.
- Miss Cackle's Academy for Witches from The Worst Witch series by Jill Murphy
- Miss Robichaux's Academy for exceptional young ladies American Horror Story
- Roanoke Academy for the Sorcerous Arts, on the Floating Island or Roanoke in the books of Unexpected Enlightenment.
- Roke: The School of Magic on Roke Island, the sage school governing the Archipelago in the Earthsea Cycle
- Veritas, the hidden magical university inside Harvard in The Siren and the Sword and other books of the Magic University series by Cecilia Tan
- Unseen University in the Discworld books of Terry Pratchett
- Will O' Wisp Academy in Magical Starsign
- Witch University, featured in the Fourth Halloween Town Movie, "Return To Halloween Town" (2006)
- Wizard's Hall, in the eponymous novel by Jane Yolen.
- Alice academy from the Gakuen Alice anime and manga series.
- School of magic from "The False Princess" by Eilis O'Neal.
- Magicians' Guild / University from The Black Magician (novel series) by Trudi Canavan
- The Colleges of Magic, from Warhammer Fantasy
- The University, from The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss
- University of Rhiannon, granting its graduates the degree of "Magister in the field of Magic", in Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson
- University of Salamanca Chair of Magic / Faculty of Magic in The Charwoman's Shadow by Lord Dunsany
- Mr. Wickens' Scool, in The Wall Around the World by Theodore Cogswell
- Hughes, WilliM (January 30, 2016). "J.K. Rowling announces four new wizarding schools you’ll never get to attend". AV Club. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- J. K. Rowling (December 4, 2008). The Tales of Beedle the Bard Children's High Level Group.