|Justin Yuan (CEO)|
Number of employees
Moonton, formally Shanghai Moonton Technology Co., Ltd. (Chinese: 上海沐瞳科技有限公司), is a Chinese video game developer and publisher based in Shanghai, China. Founded in 2014, the company is best known for its multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game Mobile Legends: Bang Bang, released in 2016.
Moonton was established in April 2014 within the Minhang District of Shanghai, China. Its two co-founders are Justin Yuan and Xu Zhenhua, who also became partner chief executive officers (CEOs) of the company.
In 2015, the company released its first video game, the multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game titled Magic Rush: Heroes. In 2016, the company released the MOBA game Mobile Legends: Bang Bang. The game became highly popular in Southeast Asia, especially in Malaysia and Indonesia. The game is distributed by Elex Tech in the United States.
In 2017, Riot Games filed a lawsuit against Moonton Technology Co., the developer of the mobile game Mobile Legends: Bang Bang, because of copyright infringement, citing similarities between Mobile Legends and League of Legends. The case was initially dismissed in California on account of forum non conveniens. Tencent, on behalf of Riot Games, then filed a new lawsuit in a Chinese court, which ruled in Tencent's favor in July 2018, awarding it $2.9 million in damages.
- "About MOONTON". MOONTON. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- ABS-CBN Sports (11 November 2019). "Philippine teams to compete in the first ever Mobile Legends: Bang Bang World Championship 2019". ABS-CBN News. ABS-CBN Corporation. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- "About Us". MOONTON. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Sheany (9 November 2018). "Game Developers Should Focus on Each Country's Unique Culture: Moonton Chief Executive". Jakarta Globe. Nusa Dua. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Lanier, Liz (19 July 2018). "Tencent Wins Lawsuit Over 'League of Legends' Copycat". Variety. Variety Media, LLC. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Fakry Naras Wahidi (20 July 2018). "Fakta Kasus Tencent dan CEO Moonton, Ternyata Bukan Masalah Plagiat". Radarempoa.com (in Indonesian). ONE. Retrieved 10 January 2020.
Setelah tanya rekan yang kebetulan mantan karyawan Moonton, ternyata perusahaan game itu punya dua CEO, yaitu Xu Zhenhua (Watson) dan Justin Yuan.
- Harris, Iain (20 July 2018). "Moonton's popular MOBA Mobile Legends plunders $200m in global revenues". Pocket Gamer.biz. Steel Media Ltd. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Batchelor, James (12 July 2017). "Riot Games suing Chinese developer behind League of Legends clone". gamesindustry.biz. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Mickunas, Aaron (July 18, 2018). "Riot Games parent Tencent wins $2.9 million in lawsuit against Moonton CEO". Dot Esports. Archived from the original on July 11, 2019. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- Lanier, Liz (July 19, 2018). "Tencent Wins Lawsuit Over 'League of Legends' Copycat". Variety. Archived from the original on March 30, 2019. Retrieved November 24, 2019.