Type of site
|Privately held company|
|Available in||English, Malaysian, Indonesian, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Tamil,Khmer, Burmese, Arabic, Urdu, Nepali, Bengali, Sinhalese, Swahili|
|Headquarters||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
(iflix Co-Founder and chairman)
(Co-Founder and Group CEO)
(chief operating officer)
(Chief Technology Officer)
(Chief Content Officer)
|Alexa rank||9,311 (August 2018[update])|
iflix is a subscription video on demand (VOD) service focused on emerging markets. Its global headquarters are in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The site serves as a digital hosting and distribution platform for Western, Asian, and Middle Eastern TV shows and movies obtained through partnerships with over 150 studios and content distributors globally including Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Disney, Warner Bros, Paramount, NBC Universal, Fox, CBS, BBC, Sony Pictures and Discovery.
iflix is currently available in 28 countries across Asia and Africa, including Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Brunei, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon, Egypt, Sudan, Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Morocco and Uganda. As of December 2017, iflix has more than 6.5 million subscribers on its service.
- 1 History
- 2 Strategies
- 3 Partnerships
- 4 Celebrity Partners
- 5 List of programs distributed by iflix
- 6 Features
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Founding and Establishment
iflix was founded by Patrick Grove, CEO of Catcha Group, Mark Britt and Evolution Media, a merchant bank focused on the media, sports, and entertainment industries. iflix was created for the rapidly growing, emerging middle-class population and their increasing demand for entertainment content. The company set out to address a certain set of conditions, which tend to exist universally across emerging markets – prevalence of piracy, inconsistent infrastructure, inconsistent quality and distribution of internet connectivity, expensive and limited mobile data, low paid television penetration, low credit-card penetration and a lack of familiarity with online payment options – through technology and commercial partnerships.
In April 2015, iflix announced the completion of a $30 million round of funding, led by leading international investment firm, Catcha Group and Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT), the largest integrated telecommunications company in the Philippines. The company launched its service in Malaysia and the Philippines one month later, where they additionally announced the formation of its Advisory Board, composed of Hollywood business and creative leaders. By July, iflix recorded over 100,000 subscribers, becoming Southeast Asia's fastest growing Internet TV service. Within the 12-week trial phase of its official launch in Thailand in November, iflix drew close to 200,000 subscribers.
In March 2016, iflix attracted a $45-million investment from European pay-TV giant Sky plc. In June, iflix announced its official launch in Indonesia and in August 2016, iflix announced its official launch in Sri Lanka. It announced its official launch in Brunei on September, and the Maldives in November.
In January 2017, iflix announced its official launch in Pakistan.
In February 2017, iflix announced its official launch in Vietnam. That same month the company announced a joint venture with Zain, leading telecommunications group in the Middle East and Africa, establishing iflix Arabia.
In March 2017, iflix announced its official launch in Myanmar.
In June 2017, iflix announced the establishment of iflix Africa. iflix Africa is headquartered in Cape Town, South Africa and trades commercially as 'iflix', with launches in Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana, Sudan and Zimbabwe.
In July 2016, former CEO of StockUnlimited Christian Toksvig joined as Head of International Business Development. Founder of Iktomi Nader Sobhan joined as Head of Middle East and North Africa and in November 2017, he transitioned into the role of Strategic Advisor, working closely with Group CEO Mark Britt.
In October 2016, Marc Barnett joined iflix Group as Chief Operating Officer.
In March 2017, former VP, Global Television at Netflix Sean Carey was appointed the new Chief Content Officer, in place of James Bridges.
In September 2017, the company appointed Sky PLC executive, Anil Jhingan as Chief Financial and Commercial Officer.
In November 2017, iflix appointed telecommunications executive John Saad as CEO of iflix MENA.
iflix's local content strategy focuses on first-run local movies and original programming. iflix has greenlit a number of projects which underpin this strategy and support home-grown talent. The emphasis on localisation includes dubbing and sub-titling content, as well as engaging local content creators to produce compelling local stories through their work.
The company says it is an alternative that is better, safer and more convenient than piracy, and that it further respects local cultural and religious standards and preferences in each market with a strategy to build and support the industry ecosystem, to generate jobs in the creative field.
iflix works with selected studios and telecommunications companies both regionally and worldwide, having partnerships with PLDT Group for commercial distribution and the landmark content partnerships with a number of Hollywood's studios; including The Walt Disney Company, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros, Fox, and Starz. It also announced together with Vimond Media Solutions, which plans to establish a jointly operated development centre in Kuala Lumpur.
In August 2015, iflix announced that MGM, had become an investor in the business. MGM's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Gary Barber sits on iflix's Advisory Board and the companies' extensive multi-year content licensing partnership.
In December 2015, iflix announced partnerships in Malaysia and the Philippines with leading telecommunications providers, Smart Communications (Smart) and Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) in the Philippines and Telekom Malaysia (TM) in Malaysia. iflix will provide its service to over 70 million Smart and PLDT HOME customers in the Philippines for free. In conjunction with Telekom Malaysia (TM), all TM Unifi and select Streamyx customers are offered a free 12-month iflix subscriptions.
In April 2016, iflix announced partnership with leading telecommunications services company in Indonesia, Telkom Indonesia, and Indonesian network provider Indosat Ooredoo. On 18 November, iflix launched its services in the Maldives in collaboration with the flagship telecommunication services provider in the country, Dhiraagu,. In September 2017, iflix entered Bangladeshi market through the partnership with the third leading telecommunication service provider of the country, Robi.
In January 2018, iflix announced a joint venture with Football Malaysia LLP to develop and produce new content formats, competitions and live stream matches, including Liga Super, Piala Malaysia, marquee Piala FA and selected Liga Premier matches on a dedicated "Football Malaysia on iflix" channel.
Several notable celebrities have invested in iflix. In July 2015, Malaysian actress Maya Karin and TV host Sazzy Falak joined iflix as ambassadors and shareholders. In November of the same year, iflix welcomed Philippine celebrities Iza Calzado, Jasmine Curtis-Smith, Ruffa Gutierrez, Raymond Gutierrez, Richard Gutierrez, JM Rodriguez and Karylle Tatlonghari-Yuzon as partners in the business. Thai celebrities; including actresses 'Jieb' Sopidnapa Chumpanee and 'Aom' Phiyada Akkraseranee, 'Jeab' Lalana Kongtoranin, Note Panayanggool and 'Paule' Ponphan Sittinawawit also joined the company as both investors and advisors in the curation of new content for online viewers. In September 2017, Pakistan's biggest rockstar, Ali Zafar, joined iflix as a celebrity parther. In January 2018, Myanmar Academy Award-winning actress, Phway Phway, joined iflix as a celebrity partner.
List of programs distributed by iflix
iflix has the rights to distribute certain programmes.
- Mr. Robot
- The Magicians
- Medici: Masters of Florence
- Teen Wolf
- Crow's Blood
- The Good Place
- The Muppets
- The Path 
- The Flash
- Black Sails
- The Detour
- The Legend of the Blue Sea
- Channel Zero
- Reply 1988
- Goblin: The Lonely and Great God
- Emerald City
- Encantadia (Both 2005–2007 and 2016)
- Descendants of the Sun
- Midnight, Texas
- Oi! Jaga Mulut
- Hoy! Bibig Mo
- Magic Hour: The Series
- Tough Luck
- Coconuts TV on Iflix
- Caraoke Drift
- Live Life with Kris
- KL Gangster: Underworld
In May 2017, iflix streams Indonesia's Liga 1 and the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor fight in Indonesia, and the 2017 T10 Cricket League in Bangladesh.A year later, iflix launched the “Football Malaysia on iflix” channel to live stream Malaysia Super League, Malaysia Cup and marquee Malaysia FA Cup matches in Malaysia.
In August 2017, iflix launched Channels to showcase entertainment studios and brands, along with user'sʼ favourite content genres. The feature includes personalised onboarding, and recommendations based on user's preferences and viewing history.
In August 2016, iflix launched its 'Playlists' feature, consisting of curated playlists of film productions from over 150 celebrities in the Southeast Asia, as well as 'Collections' based on moods and popular themes. Notable celebrities on 'Playlists' include Afdlin Shauki, Amber Chia, Ashraf Sinclair, Michelle Ziudith and 'Ploy' Ployphan Taveerat.
Download and Watch Offline
The service also offers the option of offline viewing to its members through its 'Download and Watch Offline' feature, where subscribers can download content without a Wi-Fi connection and without mobile data to their Android and IOS devices. Content can be downloaded in either "low", "medium" or "high" quality formats.
In March 2017, iflix rolled out its service in HD, with all new shows published on the platform available in HD.
iflixFREE, iflixVIP and iflix LIVE
In April 2018, iflix CEO Mark Britt announced that they shift from its traditional subscription-only model into two tiers as part of its revamp, they named iflixFREE, iflixVIP and iflix LIVE. The free tier is an ad-supported free service which features a curated Movie of the Day, premium short-form content, promotional episodes and pilots from premium TV series and movies, premium international and local TV series for free viewing and original programming. The VIP tier is an ad-free, subscription-only service which includes premium access to hundreds of movies and TV shows from local and international countries. The company also announced that they will launching iflix LIVE, a live hub which features live streaming of linear local over-the-air and Pay TV channels across both tiers. 
- "iflix user base hits 300,000, eyes further expansion". Philippine Daily Inquirer. 21 October 2015.
- "iFLix Claims 1 Mil. Members". mediabusinessasia.com. Media Business Asia. 11 December 2015.
- "Iflix expands into MENA " Digital TV Europe". digitaltveurope.net. Retrieved 29 May 2017.
- "'Lose All Your Assumptions About Asian Streaming,' Says Iflix CEO Mark Britt".
- "With iFlix, Patrick Grove wants to bring the best of Hollywood to Southeast Asia". Tech in Asia. techinasia.com. 10 March 2015.
- "IFLIX RAISES $30M, PRIMED FOR GROWTH" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 23 April 2015.
- "iFLIX NOW AVAILABLE" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 27 May 2015.
- "iFLIX ANNOUNCES ADVISORY BOARD" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 22 May 2015.
- "iFLIX RECORDS OVER 100,000 SUBSCRIBERS AS SOUTHEAST ASIA'S FASTEST GROWING INTERNET TV SERVICE" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 23 July 2015.
- "iFLIX OFFICIALLY LAUNCHES IN THAILAND & WELCOMES TOP CELEBS TO THE iFLIX FAMILY" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 30 November 2015.
- 'Sky Invests $45 Million in Southeast Asian Streaming Service Iflix', Wall Street Journal 9 March 2016 https://www.wsj.com/articles/sky-invests-45-million-in-southeast-asian-streaming-service-iflix-1457541253
- "Sri Lanka gets iflix and thousands of the world's best TV shows and movies – Business Insider". 2 August 2016. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- TheHive. "iflix is now available in Brunei!". TheHive.Asia. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- "Iflix launches in the Maldives – Mumbrella Asia". Mumbrella Asia. 21 November 2016. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- "Streaming Service Iflix Launches in Pakistan". Variety. 19 January 2017. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- "Dịch vụ truyền hình iFlix vào thị trường Việt Nam". The Saigon Times (in Vietnamese). 24 January 2017. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "Iflix launches video on demand in Myanmar, VN". The Nation. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- "Asian Streaming Service Iflix Expands into Middle East, North Africa (Exclusive)".
- "iflix launches in Bangladesh". The Daily Star. 6 November 2017. Retrieved 13 November 2017.
- "Iflix Names Telecom Exec John Saad as CEO of MENA".
- "iflix Adds to Executive Team, Primed for International Expansion" (PDF).
- "Marc Barnett leaves Bohemia for role at Asian streaming firm iFlix – Mumbrella". 27 October 2016.
- "CTO of Disney International, Emmanuel Frenehard joins iflix". 7 November 2016.
- Frater, Patrick (13 March 2017). "Asian Video Platform Iflix Hires Netflix's Sean Carey as Content Head". Variety. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- "iflix appoints Anil Jhingan as new Chief Commercial and Financial Officer".
- "iflix continues to expand in PH and Asia with localized content".
- Lee, Liz (21 June 2016). "Malaysia: iflix aims for Africa, Middle East markets, after taking on Indonesia". Deal Street Asia. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "Malaysia's Patrick Grove Aims To Go Global With Iflix Video-On-Demand".
- "iFLIX FORMS EXCLUSIVE STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP WITH PLDT GROUP" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 19 June 2015.
- "iFLIX SIGNS LANDMARK CONTENT AGREEMENT WITH DISNEY" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 23 June 2015.
- "iFLIX ANNOUNCES MULTI-YEAR CONTENT AGREEMENT WITH METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 30 June 2015.
- "iFLIX SECURES TOPLINE LICENSING DEAL WITH PARAMOUNT PICTURES" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 30 June 2015.
- "IFLIX SECURES TOPLINE CONTENT DEALS WITH FOX, BBC AND WARNER BROS" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 12 May 2015.
- "iFLIX PREMIERE HOME TO TELEVISION PHENOMENON FROM STARZ, BLACK SAILS" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 30 June 2015.
- "iFLIX AND VIMOND ESTABLISH JOINT DEVELOPMENT CENTRE IN KUALA LUMPUR" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 2 June 2015.
- "MGM JOINS iFLIX FAMILY AS STRATEGIC INVESTOR" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 20 August 2015.
- "iFLIX LAUNCHES STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP WITH DIGI" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 2 September 2015.
- "iflix, PLDT and SMART Share the Gift of Entertainment" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 14 December 2015.
- "iflix Launches Landmark Partnership with Telekom Malaysia" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 4 December 2015.
- "TELKOM – PT. Telekomunikasi Indonesia Tbk". telkom.co.id. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- "Setelah Telkom, Iflix Hadir di Indosat Ooredoo". Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- "Malaysian Football to be Available on iflix".
- "iFlix 1 Year Birthday Bash With Maya Karin As Brand Ambassador". 25 May 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Layan Raya iflix Style with Maya Karin" (PDF).
- "Top Philippine Celebrities Join Team iflix" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 16 November 2015.
- "Pakistan's biggest rock star, Ali Zafar, joins team iflix".
- Myanmar Celebrity (29 January 2018). "ေဖြးေဖြး ႏွင့္ iflix တို႔အတူ လက္တြဲမယ့္ Partner Launch" – via YouTube.
- "IFLIX LAUNCHES LIVE FOOTBALL STREAMING IN INDONESIA WITH TVONE" (PDF).
- "Where to watch Mayweather vs McGregor in Jakarta (or stream it for free anywhere in Indonesia!)".
- "T10 Cricket League – LIVE on IFLIX".
- "Malaysian Football May Have Just Made the Best Signing Ever".
- "iFlix launches new Channels feature". 27 September 2017.
- "Iflix launches playlists feature". Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "iFLIX LAUNCHES DOWNLOAD AND WATCH OFFLINE FEATURE" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 24 November 2015.
- "iflix goes HD – Tech News | The Star Online". The Star. Malaysia. Retrieved 29 May 2017.
- "IFLIX 3.0" (PDF). Media Room. iflix. 26 April 2018.