A mosque and a church in Suez Canal Street, Al Shatby. The Alexandria Tram line is visible crossing the street.
|Time zone||EST (UTC+2)|
Many important institutes are located in Shatby, such as:
- Alexandria University
- Bibliotheca Alexandrina
- Collège Saint Marc
- El Nasr Boys' School
- El Nasr Girls' College
- Lycée Français d'Alexandrie (Lycée Al-Horreya)
- Shatby Pediatric Hospital
- El Ittihad Alexandria
- Collège Saint Marc, Alexandria
- El Selah Club
Cemetery and war memorial
The main Alexandria cemetery complex is in Shatby. It includes the Alexandria Military and War Memorial Cemetery, a Commonwealth War Cemetery that includes the graves of British and Empire service personnel killed in the First and Second World Wars. 2,259 are from the First World War and 503 are from the Second World War.
Also in the military cemetery is the Chatby Memorial, which commemorates 986 United Kingdom and British Empire service personnel who died at sea in the Mediterranean in the First World War and have no grave on land. Most were killed in the sinking of troop ships or defensively armed merchant ships, including HMT Aragon, HMT Cameronia, HMT Leasowe Castle, HMT Osmanieh and SS Persia.
- "Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial Cemetery". Cemetery details. Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Chatby Memorial". Cemetery details. Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
|This Egypt location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|