Ashmore at the 2014 San Diego Comic-Con International
Shawn Robert Ashmore
October 7, 1979
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
Dana Renee Wasdin (m. 2012)
|Relatives||Aaron Ashmore |
Shawn Robert Ashmore (born October 7, 1979) is a Canadian film and television actor. He is known for his roles as Bobby Drake / Iceman in the X-Men film series, Jake Berenson in the television series Animorphs, Agent Mike Weston in the television drama series The Following, Eric in the horror film The Ruins and Sam Spencer in the ABC series Conviction. Ashmore also plays the main character, Jack Joyce, in the 2016 video game Quantum Break, as well as Conrad in Man of Medan (2019).
He is the identical twin brother of actor Aaron Ashmore.
Ashmore was born in Richmond, British Columbia, the son of Linda, a homemaker, and Rick Ashmore, a manufacturing engineer. He was raised in St. Albert, Alberta and Brampton, Ontario, where he attended Earnscliffe Senior Public School and Turner Fenton Secondary School. His twin brother, Aaron Ashmore, is also an actor. Aaron and Shawn have played twins in several movies, but have also pursued roles independently. Aaron is slightly taller than Shawn and, according to Aaron, Shawn often gets cast as the nice guy while Aaron himself is cast as the bully. They have a "GMA" tattoo on their wrists that stands for "Good Man Ashmore"; their grandfather had a similar tattoo.
One of Ashmore's notable roles was as Iceman in X-Men and its sequels X2 and X-Men: The Last Stand. Ashmore also reprised his role as Iceman in the animated series The Super Hero Squad Show, as well as voicing the role for X-Men: The Official Game.
Ashmore starred as Cadet Major Brad Rigby in Cadet Kelly, a Disney Channel original film which aired in 2002 and he guest-starred as Eric Summers in two episodes of Smallville, a series on which his brother was later cast in the role of Jimmy Olsen. Ashmore had starring roles on Animorphs as Jake Berenson and In a Heartbeat as Tyler Connell.
In December 2004, Ashmore was cast in the lead role in the SciFi Channel mini series Legend of Earthsea, based on the novels by Ursula K. Le Guin. He played the role of Ged, a young wizard-in-training, who takes advice from a Magus (Danny Glover) and falls in love with Tenar (Kristin Kreuk), the protege of the High Priestess of the Tombs of Atuan (Isabella Rossellini). In 2005, Ashmore starred in a CTV TV movie about Terry Fox's historic run across Canada, which aired in September of that year. In 2008, he starred as one of the leads in the 2008 horror film The Ruins. Ashmore was cast in Adam Green's 2010 dramatic thriller Frozen as Joe Lynch.
Ashmore starred in the apocalyptic siege warfare film The Day with Dominic Monaghan, Michael Eklund, Shannyn Sossamon, and Ashley Bell. Ashmore also starred in the television drama series The Following, starring Kevin Bacon. He reprised his role as Iceman in the 2014 film X-Men: Days of Future Past.
In April 2016, Shawn appeared in Quantum Break, a singleplayer third-person shooter video game developed by Remedy Entertainment and published by Microsoft Studios, that features high budget live action TV show-like cut scenes where Shawn plays the main character, Jack Joyce. He also did the motion capture and voice acting for the character.
|1991||Married to It||Student in pageant|
|1998||All I Wanna Do||Photographer||Originally titled The Hairy Bird|
|2000||X-Men||Bobby Drake / Iceman|
|2002||Past Present||College kid||Short film;|
New York International Independent Film and Video Festival Award for Best Actor
|2002||Cadet Kelly||Brad Rigby||Disney Channel Original Movie|
|2003||X2||Bobby Drake / Iceman||MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance|
Nominated—MTV Movie Award for Best Kiss (with Anna Paquin)
Nominated—Saturn Award for Cinescape Genre Face of the Future (Male)
Nominated—Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie: Chemistry (with Anna Paquin)
|2004||My Brother's Keeper||Twin double||Uncredited|
|2005||3 Needles||Denys, the porn actor|
|2006||X-Men: The Last Stand||Bobby Drake / Iceman|
|2010||Hatchet II||Fisherman #1||Uncredited|
|2010||Mother's Day||George Barnum|
|2012||Already Gone||Jude Mulvey||Short film|
|2012||Breaking the Girls||Eric|
|2014||X-Men: Days of Future Past||Bobby Drake / Iceman|
|2016||Hollow in the Land||Darryl|
|2018||Acts of Violence||Brandon|
|1989||Katts and Dog||Episode: "Mistaken Identity"|
|1992||The Ray Bradbury Theater||Charlie||Episode: "Colonel Stonesteel and the Desperate Empties"|
|1996||Any Mother's Son||Billy||TV film|
|1997||Flash Forward||Gord||Episode: "Mudpack"|
|1997||Promise the Moon||Leviatus Bennett||TV film|
|1997||Melanie Darrow||David Abbott||TV film|
|1997||Fast Track||Young Chandler||Episode: "Combustions"|
|1998–1999||Animorphs||Jake Berenson||Main role|
|1999||Deep in the City||Tyler||Episode: "Departures"|
|1999||Real Kids, Real Adventures||Aaron Hall||Episode: "Mountain Lion"|
|1999||At the Mercy of a Stranger||Danny||TV film|
|1999||Dear America: The Winter of Red Snow||Ben Valentine||TV short film|
|2000||Earth: Final Conflict||Max||Episode: "Sanctuary"|
|2000||The Famous Jett Jackson||Chet||Episode: "What You Wish For"|
|2000–2001||In a Heartbeat||Tyler Connell||Main role|
|2001||The Big House||Trevor Brewster||TV film|
|2001||Blackout||First Son||TV film|
|2001||The Outer Limits||Morris Shottwell||Episode: "Lion's Den"|
|2001||Wolf Girl||Beau||TV film|
|2002–2004||Smallville||Eric Summers||Episodes: "Leech", "Asylum"|
Leo Award for Best Lead Performance By a Male in a Feature Length Drama
|2005||Terry||Terry Fox||TV film;|
Nominated—Gemini Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Dramatic Program or Mini-Series
|2009||Diverted||Mike Stiven||TV film|
|2009–2010||The Super Hero Squad Show||Bobby Drake / Iceman (voice)||Episodes: "Mysterious Mayhem at Mutant High!", "The Ice Melt Cometh!"|
|2010||Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures||Fitz||Miniseries|
|2010||Fringe||Joshua Rose||Episode: "Amber 31422"|
|2013–2015||The Following||Mike Weston||Main role|
|2016||Relationship Status||Ben||3 episodes|
|2016–2017||Conviction||Sam Spencer||Main role|
|2018||S.W.A.T.||William Tanner||1 episode|
|2018-2019||The Rookie||Wesley Evers||6 episodes|
|2019||Into the Dark||Thomas||Episode: "Culture Shock"|
|2006||X-Men: The Official Game||Bobby Drake / Iceman|
|2016||Quantum Break||Jack Joyce||Also likeness and motion capture|
|2019||The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan||Conrad||Also likeness and motion capture|
- "Shawn Ashmore". TV Guide. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
- Bull, Ron. "THE FAMOUS AARON ASHMORE CLOSES IN ON STARDOM". The Toronto Star.
- "Tattoos". Aaron-Ashmore.com. Retrieved 2006-08-29.
- Wong, Curtis M. (2015-12-09). "'X-Men' Star Shawn Ashmore Wants To Play Iceman As Gay". HuffPost. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Iceman, alias mutante de Bobby Drake en «X-Men», se da su primer beso gay". Universo Gay (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- Lakshmin, Deepa. "Why Do You Still Love Disney Channel Movies? Cadet Kelly's Shawn Ashmore Explains". MTV News. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Shawn Ashmore (Seasons 1 and 3) from 30 Smallville Stars and Guest Stars You Might Have Forgotten About". E! Online. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- Barbosa, José (2016-04-21). "Video: the last Animorphs mystery solved by star Shawn Ashmore". The Spinoff. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "'In a Heartbeat' Gives Disney a Lifeline to Older Teens". Los Angeles Times. 2000-08-26. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Legend of Earthsea | TV Guide". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- Lowry, Brian; Lowry, Brian (2004-12-12). "Legend of Earthsea". Variety. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "An emotional, wrenching run". Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Relive Terry Fox's Dream with CTV Original Movie TERRY, Premiering Sunday, September 11". www.bce.ca. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Exclusive: Shawn Ashmore Visits The Ruins". ComingSoon.net. 2008-03-30. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- Catsoulis, Jaannette (4 February 2010). "A Nightmare on a Ski Lift". New York Times. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- "On A Gray 'Day,' One Last Post-Apocalyptic Stand". NPR.org. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "AFM 2011: Entertainment One Seizes Post-Apocalyptic Thriller 'The Day'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- Jim, Big. "Shawn Ashmore of 'The Following' on FOX Once Played His Twin Brother Playing His Twin Brother [CELEBRITY INTERVIEW]". 983 The KEY. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "'The Following' Postmortem: Shawn Ashmore on the Aftermath of a Big Team Change". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Canadian Shawn Ashmore talks his role in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'". www.citynews1130.com. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "'X-Men: Days of Future Past' Star Shawn Ashmore: 'I've Been Waiting to See Bobby Drake Do His Thing' (Video)". TheWrap. 2014-05-13. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Quantum Break: Shawn Ashmore talks time travel, virtual reality and Andy Serkis". Empire. 2016-04-04. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- Loveridge, Sam (2016-04-05). "Shawn Ashmore talks making Quantum Break and gay Iceman". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- Quantum Break’s Shawn Ashmore on the Future of Performance Capture - IGN, retrieved 2019-09-02
- firstname.lastname@example.org @chris__schulz, Chris Schulz (2016-04-12). "Why Quantum Break star Shawn Ashmore can't play his own game". ISSN 1170-0777. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Shawn Ashmore". vox.de (in German). Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Andreeva, Nellie (2016-02-11). "Shawn Ashmore Joins ABC's 'Conviction'". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Conviction Video Clips". ABC. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Shawn Ashmore is married". People. August 29, 2012. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- "Shawn Ashmore Welcomes a Son". E! Online. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- "Shawn Ashmore Welcomes Son". PEOPLE.com. 2017-07-19. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shawn Ashmore.|