List of singing actors and actresses in Indian cinema
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Singing actors and actresses in Indian cinema are Indian film actors who do their own singing.
Since the 1950s, most songs in films produced by the various regional Indian cinema industries have been sung by playback singers; the actors and actresses who appear to be singing and dancing are only lip-synching the words.
In the earliest years of Indian cinema, actors and actresses were more likely to be singers and to leave the dancing to specialists who appeared in what are called "item numbers." Stars such as Kishore Kumar, K. L. Saigal, Suraiyya, and Noor Jehan were known as both singers and actors. However, in the 1950s and 1960s, producers and directors increasingly tended to hire actors and actresses who could dance and leave the singing to playback singers.
- Rajkumar, received a national award[vague] for singing the song "Naadamaya Ee Lokavella" in the movie Jeevana Chaitra.
- Meena Kumari sang in films like Duniya Ek Sarai, Piya Ghar Aaja, Bichchade Balam and one song in Pinjre Ke Panchhi (1966). She also gave voice to her poems in the album I Write, I Recite (1971)
- Vyjayanthimala, sang "Bol Radha Bol" in Sangam and "Cheye Thaki Cheye Thaki" in Hatey Bazarey.
- Abhay Deol, sang in Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara.
- Ajay Devgan, sang in Bol Bachchan.
- Alia Bhatt, sang "Samjhawan Unplugged" in Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania, "Sooha Saaha" in Highway, "Ikk Kudi (Club Mix)" in Udta Punjab and "Love you Zindagi (Club Mix)" in Dear Zindagi.
- Amitabh Bachchan, sang "Mere Angane Mein" in Lawaaris and has also sung in Silsila, Mahaan, Toofan, Baghban, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham..., Bhootnath, Mr. Natwarlal, "Bbuddah... Hoga Terra Baap", "Delhi-6", "Aladin", Bol Bachchan and Baabul.
- Aamir Khan sang Aati Kya Khandala in Ghulam, Bum Bum Bole in Taare Zameen Par, I Hate You in Delhi Belly and Dhaakad in Dangal.
- Amrish Puri sang "Shom Shom Shom" in 1992 film Tehelka
- Abhishek Bachchan sang a rap song in Rohan Sippy's film Bluffmaster! and Bol Bachchan.
- Farhan Akhtar, sang all the songs of movie Rock on, one song in movie Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara" , "Dil Dhadakne Do" title song and many more.
- Hrithik Roshan, sang in "Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara" , "Kites" , "Guzaarish"
- Hema Malini sang in "Haath Ki Safai"
- Priyanka Chopra, sang "In My City", "Exotic", "Can't Make You Love Me", "Dil Dhadakne Do" title song, "Erase", "Meltdown"
- Shahrukh Khan sang "Apun Bola" in Josh, "Jab Tak Hai Jaan Poem" in Jab Tak Hai Jaan and "Happy New Year".
- Shraddha Kapoor sang "Galliyan Unplugged" in Ek Villain, "Do Jahaan" in Haider, "Bezubaan Phir Se" in ABCD 2 and "Sab Tera" in Baaghi.
- Salman Khan sang "Bodyguard" in Bodyguard, "Hangover" in Kick and "Main hoon hero tera" in Hero
- Sanjay Dutt, sang "Aladin".
- Madhuri Dixit sang Kaahe Chedd in Devdas (2002)
- Juhi Chawla sang in Bhoothnath along with Amitabh Bachchan
- Mithun Chakraborty sang in Ilaka (1989)
- Sridevi sang O Meri Chandni in Chandni (1989)
- Kamal Haasan sang many numbers in his films. Lately, he has sung three songs in Vishwaroopam. Another famous hit song of his would be Kaasu Melae Kaasu Vanthu from Kaathala Kaathala in which he sang with Udit Narayan.
- Vijay sang Kandangi Kandangi from Jilla. He also lent his voice for Surya Sivakumar in the film Periyanna for a couple of songs.
- Tamil actors Silambarasan, Dhanush, Siddharth and Bharath have also sung songs from their own films.
- Mohanlal performed several songs in his films, including Neeyarinjo Melemanathu from Kandu Kandarinju (1985), Kadumee Nadumellam from Chithram (1988), AEIOU from Aye Auto (1990), Kaithappoovin Kannikkurumbil from Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu (1998), Theerchayilla from Ustad (1999), Karukare Karuthoru from Balettan (2003), Nathoone Nathoone from Oru Naal Varum (2010) and Attumanal Payayil from Run Babby Run (2012).
- Suresh Gopi sang "Doore Poopambaram" from Pilots (2000), "Ambilipoopenninum" from Satyameva Jayathe (2000), and "Chilamboliyude Kalapam" from Kanyakumari Express (2010).
- Raj Kapoor sang one song in Dil Ki Raani (1947)
- Dilip Kumar sang with Lata in Musafir (1957)
- Nutan sang in Chhabili (1960)
- Danny Denzongpa sang in Yeh Gulistan Hamara in 1972
- Sidharth Malhotra sang a rap in A Gentleman (2017)
- NTR Jr. (Telugu Actor) sang till now 5 songs in his own Telugu movies including Nannaku Prematho,Rabhasa,Adhurs,Kantri,Yamadonga and 1 song in Kannada language film which is Chakravyuha. Among them "Follow Follow" in Nannaku Prematho was mostly popular though others were also very nice. He got 2 special Mirchi Music Awards South 2015 also.
- "MEENA KUMARI–THE SINGING MAESTRO". nikhileiyer. 2013-04-01. Retrieved 2016-12-26.
- "Meena Kumari I Write I Recite 2392 003 LP Vinyl Record Singer Meena Kumari Music Khayyam Lyrics Meena Kumari". Onlinevinylshop.com. Archived from the original on 11 September 2016. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "The song that made Khandala famous - Hindustan Times". 2014-04-08. Archived from the original on April 8, 2014. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- Dua, Aarti (3 August 2008). "Rock on, Farhan". The Telegraph (Kolkata). Kolkata, India. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "Salman khan starrer Kick enters 100 crore Club in India". Patrika Group (29 July 2014). Archived from the original on 29 July 2014. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- Madhuri Dixit on IMDb
- "I wanna follow follow song making video".
- "I wanna follow follow song".
- "Raakasi Raakasi song".
- "Geleya song".
- "Mirchi Music Award South 2015 video".
- "Mirchi Music Award 2015".