South Hill, Virginia
|South Hill, Virginia|
Route 1 in downtown South Hill
Location of South Hill, Virginia
|• Total||9.31 sq mi (16.4 km2)|
|• Land||9.31 sq mi (16.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||466 ft (142 m)|
|• Density||696.2/sq mi (268.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1484872|
South Hill is a town in Mecklenburg County, Virginia, United States. The population was 4,403 at the 2000 census. Located on major Interstate and U.S. highways, it has a full-service hospital (serving patients from several rural counties), a tobacco market, and several hotels, and the SouthSide Mall. South Hill has a close relationship with the neighboring town of La Crosse. Lake Gaston, a large reservoir popular with boaters and fishermen, is a short distance to the southwest.
South Hill is located at (36.726759, -78.130597).
The town has a total area of 9.31 square miles (16.4 km²), of which 9.27 square miles (16.4 km²) is land and 0.04 square mile (0.1 km²) (0.47%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,403 people, 1,809 households, and 1,190 families residing in the town. The population density was 696.2 people per square mile (269.0/km²). There were 1,988 housing units at an average density of 314.4/sq mi (121.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 58.37% White, 39.43% African American, 0.30% Native American, 1.00% Asian, 0.39% from other races, and 0.52% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.57% of the population.
There were 1,809 households out of which 27.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.7% were married couples living together, 18.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.2% were non-families. 30.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.2% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 26.3% from 25 to 44, 23.0% from 45 to 64, and 19.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 77.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 70.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $31,078, and the median income for a family was $38,156. Males had a median income of $30,128 versus $21,996 for females. The per capita income for the town was $19,319. About 14.3% of families and 18.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.9% of those under age 18 and 11.2% of those age 65 or over.
|2008 Presidential Candidates Contributions from South Hill, VA |
In previous years, election returns have shown that South Hill citizens favored Republican candidates (more often at 60% or above) in state and national elections since 1996, though this slipped to only 57.5% support for Republican candidate Mitt Romney in the 2012 Presidential election.
In the 2006 election cycle, while donations from residents to Democratic and Republican candidates and organizations were almost evenly divided, citizens favored Republican candidate George Allen over Democratic candidate Jim Webb. Webb eventually went on to win the election.
In 2007-2008, contributions to presidential campaigns favored Republican candidates overall, although the top single recipient as of March was Democratic Senator Barack Obama. The 283 South Hill voters who participated in the state's February 12 Democratic primary also favored Obama over Senator Hillary Clinton, 58% to 41%; the 244 Republican primary voters supported Senator John McCain (62.3%) over Governor Mike Huckabee (34.8%).
'Weak' is not a derogatory term here. In this form of the mayor-council government, the council possess both legislative and executive authority. The council may appoint officials and must approve of mayoral nominations. The council also exercises primary control over the municipal budget. It comes from the belief that if politicians have few powers and many checks, then they can do relatively little damage. This form of government is most commonly used in small towns like South Hill.
Members of the South Hill Town Council:
M.B. "Millie" Bracey
Lisa Vaughn Jordan
C. Leroy Sasser
Mayor: Dean Marion
The daily operation of South Hill is overseen by a town manager, Kim Callis.
The town council and mayor seats are non-partisan, and elections are held every four years.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Hill, Virginia.|
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- OpenSecrets.org authors. "top presidential candidates receiving contributions from 23970". Retrieved 2008-03-05.
- Virginia State Board of Elections. "Election Results". Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- OpenSecrets.org authors. "23970 Top Recipients (2006 Election Cycle)". Retrieved 2007-01-15.
- Virginia State Board of Elections. "Election Results". Archived from the original on May 2, 2009. Retrieved 2008-03-05.
- Virginia State Board of Elections. "Democratic Primary Results" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-03-05.
- Virginia State Board of Elections. "Republican Primary Results" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-03-05.