South Valley Stream, New York
|South Valley Stream, New York|
|Hamlet and census-designated place|
Location in Nassau County and the state of New York.
|• Total||0.9 sq mi (2.3 km2)|
|• Land||0.9 sq mi (2.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||7 ft (2 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1867419|
The northern portion of the hamlet is served by Valley Stream South High School and Forest Road Elementary School, while the southern portion, south of Rosedale Road, is served by George W. Hewlett High School, Woodmere Middle School, and Ogden Elementary School.
South Valley Stream is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 5,962 people, 1,969 households, and 1,554 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 6,415.1 per square mile (2,473.7/km2). There were 2,045 housing units at an average density of 2,326.9/sq mi (897.2/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 51.90% White, 23.10% African American, 0.07% Native American, 18.10% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 4.40% from other races, and 2.20% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.80% of the population.
There were 1,969 households out of which 35.40% had children under the age of 19 living with them, 65.20% were married couples living together, 10.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.10% were non-families. 18.70% of all households were made up of individuals living alone and 11.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.02 and the average family size was 3.46.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 26.20% under the age of 19, 5.80% from 20 to 24, 21.30% from 25 to 44, 30.80% from 45 to 64, and 15.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42.5 years. The population consists of 52% females, and 48% males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $108,995, and the median income for a family was $118,750.
Current and former residents of South Valley Stream include:
- Lon Babby, president of the Phoenix Suns
- Jeffrey M. Friedman, discoverer of Leptin
- Esther Jungreis - founder of Hineni
- Larry Miller, comedian/actor
- Nina L. Paul, author 
- Gary Portnoy, singer/songwriter, most notably the performer of the Cheers theme song.
- Seth Rudetsky, composer, musical director and talk show host.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-06-06.
- Gans, Andrew. "Rhapsody in Seth’s Rudetsky Fights Back With Santorum Fund" Archived 2008-10-14 at the Wayback Machine., Playbill, May 7, 2003. Accessed September 17, 2008. "In his self-penned, one-man show directed by Peter Flynn — Rhapsody in Seth — Seth Rudetsky recalls growing up in North Woodmere, Long Island, where he was praised for his musical gifts but ridiculed for being gay."