|Range of the shortspine spurdog|
Squalus acutirostris Chu, Meng & Li, 1984
The shortspine spurdog (Squalus mitsukurii) is a dogfish, a member of the family Squalidae, found on continental shelves off Japan in temperate waters, from the surface to 950 m. Its length is up to 75 cm.
The shortspine dogfish was once seen as a circumglobal species by many authors, including Compagno (1984) and Last & Stevens (1994). However, a series on papers published since 2007 have shown that a number of species synonymized with S. mitsukurii are distinct, and that the Hawaiian population of S. mitsukurii represent a distinct species, the Hawaiian shortspine spurdog.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Squalus mitsukurii.|
- Cavanagh, R.D., Lisney, T.J. & White, W. (2007). Squalus mitsukurii. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species doi:10.2305/IUCN.UK.2007.RLTS.T41877A10583487.en
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2006). "Squalus mitsukurii" in FishBase. July 2006 version.
- Compagno, L.J.V.,1984 FAO Species Catalogue. Vol. 4. Sharks of the world. An annotated and illustrated catalogue of shark species known to date. Part 1 - Hexanchiformes to Lamniformes. FAO Fish. Synop. 125(4/1):1-249. Rome, FAO.
- Last, P.R. and J.D. Stevens,1994 Sharks and rays of Australia. CSIRO, Australia. 513 p.
- Last, P.R., White, W.T. and Motomura, H. 2007. Description of Squalus chloroculus sp. nov., a new spurdog from southern Australia, and the resurrection of S. montalbani Whitley. In: P.R Last, W.T. White and J.J. Pogonoski (eds) (eds), Descriptions of New Dogfishes of the genus Squalus (Squaloidea: Squalidae), pp: 55‒69.. CSIRO,, Australia.
- Duffy, C.A.J. and P.R. Last, 2007. Redescription of the northern spiny dogfish Squalus griffini Phillipps, 1931 from New Zealand. pp. 91-100. In P.R. Last, W.T. White and J.J. Pogonoski Descriptions of new dogfishes of the genus Squalus (Squaloidea: Squalidae). CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research Paper No. 014. 130 pp.
- Daly-Engel TS, Koch A, Anderson JM, Cotton CF, Grubbs RD (2018) Description of a new deep-water dogfish shark from Hawaii, with comments on the Squalus mitsukurii species complex in the West Pacific. ZooKeys 798: 135-157. https://doi.org/10.3897/zookeys.798.28375