Star of the Sea Painted Church
Star of the Sea Church--Kalapana Painted Church
|Coordinates||19°22′22.476″N 154°57′49.752″W / 19.37291000°N 154.96382000°W|
|Architect||Gielen, Evarist, Father|
|Architectural style||Colonial Revival|
|NRHP reference No.||97000407|
|Added to NRHP||May 14, 1997|
The Star of the Sea Painted Church in Kalapana, Hawai'i was built in 1927-1928 under the direction of the Belgian Catholic missionary priest Father Evarist Gielen, who painted the upper section of the church interior.
In 1990, the church was moved to its present location just ahead of an advancing lava flow. It is located on Highway 130 between mile marker 19 and 20. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
- ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. April 15, 2008.
- ^ Bohman, Mary Beth, Amy B. Wang and Joyce Eisenberg, Fodor's Big Island of Hawaii, New York, Fodor's Travel Publications, 2007
- Churches on the National Register of Historic Places in Hawaii
- Roman Catholic churches in Hawaii
- Religious buildings and structures in Hawaii County, Hawaii
- Roman Catholic churches completed in 1928
- National Register of Historic Places in Hawaii County, Hawaii
- 20th-century Roman Catholic church buildings in the United States
- Hawaii geography stubs