Berghuis with Twente in 2011
|Date of birth||19 December 1991|
|Place of birth||Apeldoorn, Netherlands|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|2008–2009||Go Ahead Eagles|
|2012||→ VVV-Venlo (loan)||16||(2)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23:58, 11 May 2016 (UTC).
Early club career
Steven came through the youth system at FC Twente, following spells with the youth clubs of, firstly, local amateur club WSV Apeldoorn and subsequently Eerste Divisie side Go Ahead Eagles. As a 16-year-old he scored WSV's only goal in a 4–1 friendly match defeat to Feyenoord.
On 23 June 2011, Steven scored his first goal for the club in a pre-season friendly against Eerste Klasse D team DOS '37. One week later, he scored one of Twente's ten goals in another warm-up fixture against Derde Klasse side DSV '61. On 14 July 2011, he scored his first goal against foreign opposition, getting Twente's second in a 4–3 friendly win over Turkish Süper Lig side Fenerbahçe.
Berghuis played in Twente's 2011–12 UEFA Champions League qualifying legs against SC Vaslui on 26 July and 3 August 2011; Twente won 2–0 on aggregate. He also played in the 2011 Johan Cruijff Shield; despite being sent off, Twente won the game against Ajax 2–1. He started the club's first Eredivisie game of the 2011–12 season against NAC Breda. On 21 September 2011, he scored four goals against Zwaluwen for the Dutch Cup where FC Twente won by 1–8.
Berghuis played the season predominantly as a left winger and as a substitute; only managing to complete 90 minutes on four occasions, contributing only one assist in the league due to the form of Icelandic player Johann Berg Gudmundsson who scored 2 and assisted 6 goals in the season at left wing.
This could be considered Berghuis' breakthrough season as he featured more in the starting eleven however he still had to compete with Gudmundsson. Berghuis failed to feature consistently in the first half of the season only scoring 2 goals to the winter-break in the league (Gudmundsson scored 2 and assisted one goal in this period). The second half of the season Berghuis was given more playing time and delivering results on both the right and left wing positions scoring 6 and creating 6 goals in the final 14 matches of the regular league season. Berghuis also scored and assisted one more goal in the Europa League play-off competition as part of the league format.
Steven has achieved international recognition for Netherlands at under-19 and under-21 level. He played two games in the 2010 UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship, scoring the winning goal in a 1–0 group stage victory over the England under-19s.
He scored his first goal for the Netherlands under-21s in a 2–0 friendly match victory over the Israel under-21s in May 2011. He also scored in his second appearance in the same month in a 5–0 friendly win against the Albania under-21s.
Steven is the son of footballer Frank Berghuis, who played for FC Volendam, VVV-Venlo and SC Cambuur, among others; he also gained one cap for the Netherlands international team. His brother Tristan Berghuis is also a Dutch youth international. He plays in a youth team affiliated to Vitesse Arnhem and in 2011 had trials with Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur.
- As of match played 8 May 2016
- "Premier League Player Profile Steven Berghuis". Barclays Premier League. 2016. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- "Voetbalfeest ondanks mat Feyenoord" [Celebrations despite loss to Feyenoord]. De Stentor (in Dutch). 9 May 2008. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- "Steven Berghuis statistics". soccerway.com. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- "FC Twente wint oefenduel tegen Twenterand" [FC Twente win friendly against Twenterand outfit]. TV Enschede FM (in Dutch). 23 June 2011. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- "FC Twente haalt weer dubbele cijfers" [FC Twente hit double figures]. Provinciale Zeeuwse Courant (in Dutch). 30 June 2011. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- "Fenerbahçe defeated by Twente in friendly". Today's Zaman. 15 July 2011. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- "Twente task too tough for Vaslui". UEFA. 3 August 2011. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- "Narrow win for Twente in Shield". Fox News. 31 July 2011. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- "Janko penalty seals Twente triumph". FIFA.com. 7 August 2011. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- "Steven Berghuis: Forward becomes Watford's 10th summer signing". BBC Sport. 27 July 2015. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "Berghuis gets Netherlands back on course: Netherlands 1–0 England". UEFA. 21 July 2010. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- "Zoet and Zeefuik on the winning side". PSV Eindhoven. 30 May 2011. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- "Genero Zeefuik on target for Holland". PSV Eindhoven. 31 May 2011. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- "Netherlands call up uncapped Steven Berghuis, Tjaronn Chery". eurosport.co.uk. 15 May 2015. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- "Berghuis: langharig, links en vroegrijp" [Berghuis: Long-haired, left and precocious]. De Stentor (in Dutch). 23 November 2007. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- "Berghuis shuns Spurs offer". Sky Sports News. 23 May 2011. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- "S. BERGHUIS". Soccerway. Retrieved 9 July 2016.
- Voetbal International profile (Dutch)