|This article does not cite any references or sources. (May 2008)|
A superstate is an agglomeration of nations and/or states, often linguistically and ethnically diverse, under a single political-administrative structure. This is distinct from the concept of superpower, although these are frequently seen together. It is also distinct from the concept of empire, where one nation dominates other nations through military, political, and economic power, as in the Roman Empire, although an empire may also be a superstate, as in ancient Persia, Russian Empire, India and China (under various dynasties). Another examples of superstate include :
- The British Empire came close to becoming a superstate in the late 19th century when there was an attempt to re-organize both dominions and colonies into a single body as an Imperial Federation.
- The European Union, as argued by many Eurosceptics, is a current example of an emerging superstate.
- The Soviet Union, though being constitutionally defined as a union of republics, was de facto a superstate due to a major cultural and linguistic diversity between its inhabited ethnicities and they never really identified themselves as the single Soviet nation despite the official doctrine.
- Yugoslavia before its breakup at the end of the Cold War.
- Atlantic Federation (Gundam anime metaseries)
- Earth Alliance in :
- Eastasia, Eurasia and Oceania in Nineteen Eighty-Four
- Interstellar Alliance
- Fleet of Worlds
- Galactic Empire (Star Wars)
- Galactic Empire (Isaac Asimov universe)
- Galactic Republic
- Imperium of Mankind
- Mega-City One
- United Federation of Planets
- Solarian League
- The World State