Swan Canyon, San Diego
|Swan Canyon, San Diego|
|Community of San Diego|
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||0.77 km2 (0.296 sq mi)|
Swan Canyon is a neighborhood in the City Heights community of San Diego, California. It is bounded by Oak Park on the east, Hollywood Park on the west, Fairmount Village on the north and Ridgeview on the south.
The neighborhood is named for Swan Canyon, a small (30 acres (12 ha)) canyon that runs through the middle of it in a north-to-south direction. The canyon is undeveloped and has sometimes been a focus for crime and transient encampments. The state of California's Coastal Conservancy has undertaken a project to restore the canyon so that it can provide usable open space, wildlife habitat, and educational resources. A monthly volunteer cleanup project is organized by San Diego Canyonlands, a local nonprofit organization.
Swan Canyon occupies a total area of 0.296 square miles (77 ha). As of 2011, the total population was 2,640 in which 1,278 were male and 1,362 were female.
Hamilton Elementary School is located in the neighborhood.
- "Location of Swan Canyon, San Diego". Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "Swan Canyon restoration" (PDF). Coastal Conservancy. State of California. August 5, 2010. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "Upcoming events". San Diego Canyonlands. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "City Heights Community Plan". City of San Diego. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "City Heights and its neighborhoods".
- "Hamilton Elementary School". San Diego Unified School District. Retrieved 23 April 2014.