|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
"Barnes and Noble" comment
"Some have criticized AK Press for it's Barnes and Noble-like effect on the radical publishing scene. Because they have such a large catalogue, as well as low prices and global distribution range, some radical publishers have suffered financial losses as well as closures."
Could someone provide a link to such criticisms? I usually see praise for Ak Press in radical circles, and besides, most of their distro is through other publishers so they're helping them really...But it is a good point, would just like to actually see it made, or proof that the "financial losses" are the fault of AK Press --Tothebarricades.tk 22:55, 4 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- I dunno about Barnes & Noble but they are notoriously slow at paying their creditors... But we love em anyway! quercus robur 14:02, 5 Feb 2005 (UTC)
My concern about the "Barnes and Noble" comment is that it isn't very obvious to me as a non-american. I think it might be better phrased in terms of AK's monopolising anarchist publishing world. e.g. "...for its monopolising effect on the radical publishing world, similar to the effect that large bookseller Barnes and Noble has had on the mainstream book selling community.", or similar. It took me a minute to figure out what it meant to "Barnes and Noble" someone. An An 03:30, 24 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- I've removed the statements quoted above. If someone wants to reference exactly who is doing the criticizing and what, if any, radical publishers have suffered because of AK feel free to put it back in. --Bk0 04:59, 4 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- This is good. An An 05:17, 4 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- I agree- despite my comment above I have a fair few dealings with AK, and though they could be a bit quicker re. paying their creditors thay are doing a sttirling job considering there are only 2 of them as full time workers on the UK side of operations. I ceratinly don't think they are setting out to monopolise the alternative publishing scene, they just happen to be good at what thye do, and I've always found them supportive of my own publishing venture, cheers quercus robur 23:43, 26 May 2005 (UTC)
I removed this from the introductory text: "It was founded by one time punk rocker Ramsey Kanann with money from his wealthy parents in a plush 3-bedroom flat in Edinburgh's leafy Newington district. The one-time member of Scots punks Oi Polloi still retains links with the Scottish capital despite residing full-time in California." Maybe it's true, but there's no citation, and it's probably not the best place for it anyways. Ideas? Wyatt Riot 23:31, 28 April 2006 (UTC)
What does 'AK' mean?
and can someone put that in the article?
- Ramsey has always said its his grandmother's initials, but I havn't got a cite for that quercus robur 20:52, 29 December 2006 (UTC)
- I always assumed it was a reference to the AK-47. That's just a guess on my part. --Bk0 (Talk) 23:07, 29 December 2006 (UTC)