Talk:Battle of Uman
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Battle of Uman article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- The country was known as "Rumania" at the time. "Romania" is the modern spelling. I use contemporary English spellings for place names, at least for 19th and 20th century topics. Thus my World War II articles use the spellings Belorussia (not Belarus), Rumania (not Romania), Kiev (not Kyiv), Tjilatjap (not Cilacap) etc. This means that the articles match the usage in contemporary documents and I follow what professional historians do. For example, historian John Erickson uses "Rumania" in his discussion of this battle in The Road to Stalingrad. Gdr June 28, 2005 08:35 (UTC)
- On 10 July Kirponos was sacked
- sack, vt. to dismiss from employment. Gdr 2005-07-03 08:36:28 (UTC)
- Yes, I have the dictionary. It was utterly strange for me to see a slang term in an encyclopedia article, hence my silly comment. The real confusion here is the date. Acording to Kirponos bio, he was killed during when the Staff of the S-W Front was trying to break out of the encirclement, on September 20. In the description of the episode Kirponos was referred to as Front Commander, which contradicts the current article.
- Therefore an additional confirmation is required for the sentence in question. I will look into it, since the article authors do not respond here. mikka (t) 3 July 2005 20:07 (UTC)
Yes, thank you for the correction. My mistake entirely. Gdr 4 July 2005 18:06 (UTC)
"advisable for Budyonny to withdraw"
I placed a "dubious" label here, since this is an overgeneralized phrase. This was not, like, a single action. This was a long chaos of defense, with multiple decisions, some of which was influenced by wrong estimates of the intentions of Germans, for a huge number of trops. Not to say that the "advisable" word is ridiculous, and most surely POV. mikka (t) 3 July 2005 21:08 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Battle of Uman. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20121025022023/http://ww2stats.com/cas_ger_okh_dec41.html to http://ww2stats.com/cas_ger_okh_dec41.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.