|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Census article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|Census has been listed as a level-4 vital article in Society. If you can improve it, please do. This article has been rated as C-Class.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|Wikipedia Version 1.0 Editorial Team||(Rated C-class)|
I think this section as a whole, although useful, contains too much information to be posted in the main article about census. I think it would be better to move this section to its own article for people that really need to know what is every country in the world doing. 188.8.131.52 (talk) 13:11, 14 November 2012 (UTC)
- I've moved to the list to Population and housing censuses by country. This article will now need some work to recover from the split, but it seems everyone agrees that it's something that had to be done. -- zzuuzz (talk) 22:34, 10 December 2012 (UTC)
I wonder whether this needs an edit
I wonder whether this page needs an edit linking to wikinews. There was much about the census on the Radio Four news tonight, saying that there were now a record number of people from outside the United Kingdom who were resident in the United Kingdom, and the number of people who had described themselves as Christians had fallen; although Wikipedia is not newspaper, these comments could still go in wikinews. ACEOREVIVED (talk) 20:40, 11 December 2012 (UTC)
- Not here. This is a article about censuses in general, while these are very detailed facts arising out of one country's census conducted in a specific year. Inclusion of these facts on Wikipedia should rather be considered at Census in the United Kingdom or moreso United Kingdom Census 2011. Hwy43 (talk) 02:19, 12 December 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for reviewing for a C-Class rating. Any feedback on what needs to improve? My feeling is there needs to be work on the content in terms of things which aren't covered. If there are issues with the style or clarity of what is here, some explanation/pointers would be useful.Ca3tki (talk) 10:00, 21 December 2012 (UTC)
Well, I think it has the right structure at this stage. I don't like the content of the initial part but that is partly because of some of this appearing elsewhere in the article. Any suggestions about the content or ordering of sections would be really useful. Ca3tki (talk) 22:24, 18 January 2013 (UTC)
The introduction havers about the subject. While it is important to allow that census is more general than people, in practice it is people we are talking about. My view is that we should get to that more directly but also remove some specific content from the introduction and introduce a new section much later about political issues. Ca3tki (talk) 16:40, 11 February 2013 (UTC)
Specific Country Examples and US Focus
There are a number of contributions relying on terminology and examples specifically from the US. As there are separate pages for modern implementation and individual US censuses these are not relevant to this article and should be replaced with international conventions and appropriate citations.Ca3tki (talk) 15:54, 31 January 2015 (UTC)
http://tools.wmflabs.org/bibleversefinder/?book=2%20Chronicles&verse=2:17&src=! (URL found in this article) does not work. Syced (talk) 16:12, 27 September 2015 (UTC)
First two historical examples
The earliest Greek example appears to be legendary. There is a source for this, but in the free excerpt from the article it refers to a "legendary" king of Athens named Cecrops around 1600 BCE (apparently from Eusebius around 300 AD). This should either be marked as mythical or removed. The Egyptian example is also unsourced; considering the alleged date is before 3000 BCE, I would be surprised if this also isn't legendary.184.108.40.206 (talk) 23:24, 30 December 2015 (UTC)
It is not obvious to me that a section on development is relevant to census in general. The aspiration that cesus data empowers local communities is laudable but not accurate. It also does not identify how census would do that where a sample survey does not. It makes more sense to me to role an aspect of development into the uses section. Ca3tki (talk) 14:56, 12 February 2017 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 5 external links on Census. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20111219103126/http://www.680news.com/radio/680news/article/80353--text-of-munir-sheikh-s-resignation-statement to http://www.680news.com/radio/680news/article/80353--text-of-munir-sheikh-s-resignation-statement
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20101123032526/http://factsanddetails.com/china.php?itemid=39&catid=2&subcatid=2 to http://factsanddetails.com/china.php?itemid=39&catid=2&subcatid=2
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/miscellaneous/000507.html
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/spring_2002_soundex_projects.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20160507023856/http://www.histpop.org/ to http://www.histpop.org/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.