Talk:Cuban convertible peso
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Cuban convertible peso article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
The opening paragraph said:
"it has been in limited and unofficial use since the early 1990s, and was adopted as an official currency on 8 November 2004. Only exchangeable within the country, its value is currently pegged to $1.08 USD. However, some reported that the rate is 1 convertible peso = 1.12 USD ."
How can the use have been unofficial when it was government issued ?
The 1 CUC = 1.12 is wrong, and a misunderstanding. I will remove.
-- Beardo 15:17, 2 September 2006 (UTC)
- I'm sorry; that was a misunderstanding on my part. I guess I didn't get that it was government-issued. Still, a citation would be nice, because numbers on Wikipedia can be made up, and it's better to have them cited for verifiability's sake, in my opinion.
- Also, concerning my edit. Those hyphens are needed as per standard English style/usage. They're required, because there's a difference between five peso bills and five-peso bills (the first being that you have five bills that are each worth one peso, the second being that there are some number of bills that are each worth five pesos). You need the hyphens on each item in the list because they are all linked to the same word. (As in rule six on site.) They use it like this on other Wikipedia articles too, such as One-dollar bill. They also use the phrase "one-cent coin" in the article on the penny. DroEsperanto 07:12, 31 December 2006 (UTC)
Some data about banknotes
The first issue of CUC banknotes is dated 1994, it's design has kept without notable changes untill 2007 when a new issue appeared with a completly different design of the banknotes' backside (previous issues had the same backside design for all values, the 2007 issue have a different design for each value 1,3,5,10,20,50,100), the frontside of the banknotes remains almost unchanged, all values of CUC banknotes added more security features. (I'm a numismatician from Cuba) KatKiller 07:44, 13 February 2007 (UTC)
- True. Except the new design began appearing in December 2006. Not sure whether this is worth mentioning in the article, though. -- Beardo 13:08, 14 February 2007 (UTC)
I think that the first paragraph and the section titled history are too much alike. --Hacky 22:58, 9 April 2007 (UTC)
Like most currencies the CUC exchange rate does fluctuate. As of today, I have been told that the CUC is now worth USD 1.24 instead of the 1.08 cited in the directory.22.214.171.124 13:14, 15 June 2007 (UTC)
- Last time I checked , it's still 1.08. --ChoChoPK (球球PK) (talk | contrib) 10:41, 16 June 2007 (UTC)
- Exactly - the actual rate has been fixed at 1.08 for - what ? - two years now. If you try to change USD cash, you will an effective rate approaching 1.24 - but that includes commission and a 10% penalty. If you do a transfer between a USD denominated bank account and a CUC denominated bank account (or vice versa), the rate is 1.08.
- The CUC fluctuates against all other currencies as the USD moves, but it does not fluctuate against the USD (or the CUP). -- Beardo 18:46, 16 June 2007 (UTC)
Highest currency units ?
If you count the pound (currency of the Falkland Islands), it's actually third. -- Beardo 06:33, 22 August 2007 (UTC)
- It's actually the 4th highest in the Americas, after the Falkland Islands pound, the euro (Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Guadeloupe, etc), and the Cayman Islands dollar. --ChoChoPK (球球PK) (talk | contrib) 01:30, 13 September 2007 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Cuban convertible peso. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110720132341/http://www.cepec.cu/informacionsistema.php to http://www.cepec.cu/informacionsistema.php
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.