Talk:National Coalition Party
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Don't take me wrong, but is Harri Holkeri really of the same calibre as Paasikivi and Svinhufvud? I'm tempted to say "I've never heard about the guy", which is almost true. What was his main achievments? Rehabilitation of the Kookomus after the Kekkonen Era?
-- Ruhrjung 16:49 28 Jun 2003 (UTC)
- I would vote yes and no :-) It's kind of a Jimmy Carter situation. Not what he did in office, but the international work as a "retiree", make him prominent as a person. But, no he wasn't the party leader when he did these prominent things. Yes and no. You call the toss. -- Cimon Avaro
- Put in some sentences on his page, maybe?
- And why care about if he was a resigned party leader or not? - So what, ...what was Svinhufvud or Paasikivi? Resigned, I would say.
- -- Ruhrjung 23:15 28 Jun 2003 (UTC)
- Put in some sentences on his page, maybe?
- Am not remotely qualified to do so. What I have written, I have written. -- Cimon Avaro
- I think he is on the list primarily because we have an article on him. And he is the first prime minister from Kok since like 1944 (correct me if I am wrong). :) -- Jniemenmaa 09:55 29 Jun 2003 (UTC)
the grammar in this article needs serious editing as it looks to be directly translated from Finnish without adding "the"'s and "a"'s.--188.8.131.52 20:29, 11 February 2007 (UTC)
Already is a consistently placed in the wrong position in English sentences by non-native speakers. It always goes next to the verb. Its positioning is tricky with compound verbs. It is often placed incorrectly near the date and far from the verb, but that is wrong. Nick Beeson (talk) 13:54, 6 February 2012 (UTC)
The history section needs some work
A few points about the section on the party's history:
1. The Fennoman factions, the Finnish Party and the Young Finnish Party, were not divided because one leaned toward Russia and the other Germany. Rather, they disagreed in their approach to oppossing Russification policies.
2. The impetus for founding the party was a desire to gather all the monarchist, conservative elements from said Fennoman parties in one organization.
3. The sentence that talks about "further tensions" is a bit confusing. Should said tensions be introduced with a "but" instead of an "and"? In any case, some of the listed bones of contention seem pretty darn irrelevant. (The Entente? Multi-party systems? Really?)
4. The Patriotic People's Movement was founded by former Lapua Movement supporters in 1932. Its founding was not a division within the Coalition. Further, Paasikivi was elected Coalition chairman in 1934, after the disastrous electoral coalition with the PPM in the 1933 parliamentary election, so his line had nothing to do with PPM's founding.
5. The stuff about a "pro-democracy line" is pretty strange. Is the suggestion that Pekka Pennanen, who was the chairman between Paasikivi and Linkomies, didn't take a pro-democracy line? If so, I'd like to see some evidence.
If there are no objections, I'll start fixing this stuff. --Jouten 00:03, 21 February 2007 (UTC)
- I've posted a rewritten version of the party's pre-2000s history. See what you think. --Jouten 11:39, 22 February 2007 (UTC)
Economy under PM Holkeri
The article currently states that "During Holkeri's time in office, the Finnish economy plunged into a recession", which has been marked as dubious. It may be a bit too strong of a statement. Holkeri's election loss came in March 1991. While the Finnish language Wikipedia article on the topic says that the early 1990s economic depression began in 1990 , I suppose there's a case to be made that it properly began in 1991. GPD growth for 1990 was essentially nil for 1990 and dropped sharply in 1991.
The OECD Economic Outlook for 1991 describes Finland's economy in 1990 thusly: "Domestic demand weakened rapidly in 1990, and growth decelerated from 5 per cent in 1989 to close to zero in the second half-year. Consumer prices also decelerated through the year, as housing prices fell and import prices rose on average only a little. Wage increases, however, remained high. A very rapid deceleration of import volumes towards the end of the year led to an improvement of the trade account, despite the negative contribution of the rising price of energy imports. Nevertheless, a worsening services balance and mounting net interest payments continued to make for a widening current deficit, which may have reached 4-3/4 per cent of GDP for 1990. Unemployment, while remaining low, started to increase." 
How about, "During Holkeri's time in office, the Finnish economy suffered an economic downturn"? Would that be an acceptable statement? The OECD article could be used as a reference. --Jouten 13:57, 25 March 2007 (UTC)
- I've changed the article as indicated and removed the dubious tag. I hope that's okay. --Jouten 15:32, 27 March 2007 (UTC)
Fair use rationale for Image:Kokoomus logo.gif
Image:Kokoomus logo.gif is being used on this article. I notice the image page specifies that the image is being used under fair use but there is no explanation or rationale as to why its use in this Wikipedia article constitutes fair use. In addition to the boilerplate fair use template, you must also write out on the image description page a specific explanation or rationale for why using this image in each article is consistent with fair use.
Please go to the image description page and edit it to include a fair use rationale. Using one of the templates at Wikipedia:Fair use rationale guideline is an easy way to insure that your image is in compliance with Wikipedia policy, but remember that you must complete the template. Do not simply insert a blank template on an image page.
If there is other other fair use media, consider checking that you have specified the fair use rationale on the other images used on this page. Note that any fair use images uploaded after 4 May, 2006, and lacking such an explanation will be deleted one week after they have been uploaded, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. If you have any questions please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you.BetacommandBot 10:39, 5 June 2007 (UTC)