Talk:Texan schooner Invincible
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Texan schooner Invincible article.|
|Texan schooner Invincible was one of the Warfare good articles, but it has been removed from the list. There are suggestions below for improving the article to meet the good article criteria. Once these issues have been addressed, the article can be renominated. Editors may also seek a reassessment of the decision if they believe there was a mistake.|
|Current status: Delisted good article|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
A fine short article, with just a couple of minor points before I would be happy to pass this at GA.
- Can we have wikilinks to Sam Houston and Secretary Fisher? Even if they are red links they would be worth having.
- The references are not properly formatted. Can we have the name, publisher and date last accessed as per WP:REF?
- If possible can the lead be expanded to two paragraphs (not essential, but would improve the article).
Other than that the article ticks all boxes. Its well written, well sourced and has a nice image, covers the topic adequately and is of course neutral and stable.--Jackyd101 10:49, 24 September 2007 (UTC)
- I believe I have taken all of your suggestions and submit this for your approval. Thanks for helping improve the article. Argos'Dad 03:46, 26 September 2007 (UTC)
- Yup, its passed, well done.--Jackyd101 19:17, 28 September 2007 (UTC)
Copyright problem removed
Prior content in this article duplicated one or more previously published sources. The material was copied from: http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qti02. Copied or closely paraphrased material has been rewritten or removed and must not be restored, unless it is duly released under a compatible license. (For more information, please see "using copyrighted works from others" if you are not the copyright holder of this material, or "donating copyrighted materials" if you are.) For legal reasons, we cannot accept copyrighted text or images borrowed from other web sites or published material; such additions will be deleted. Contributors may use copyrighted publications as a source of information, and according to fair use may copy sentences and phrases, provided they are included in quotation marks and referenced properly. The material may also be rewritten, but only if it does not infringe on the copyright of the original or plagiarize from that source. Therefore such paraphrased portions must provide their source. Please see our guideline on non-free text for how to properly implement limited quotations of copyrighted text. Wikipedia takes copyright violations very seriously, and persistent violators will be blocked from editing. While we appreciate contributions, we must require all contributors to understand and comply with these policies. Thank you. Karanacs (talk) 18:17, 19 January 2015 (UTC)
Texan schooner Invincible : copyvio
Karanacs discovered that this article was heavily plagiarized from Handbook of Texas online and posted a message at Wikipedia talk:Good article nominations. Karanacs then tried to remove the offending text. I read their notice and used Duplication Detector to compare the handbook to the original version created in September 2007 by User:Argos'Dad and it found 78 matching phrases. The article was approved for GA by User:Jackyd101. I'm afraid a duplication detector check of the current version of the article after Karanacs's culling still returns 48 matching phrases. I have tagged the article as a WP:COPYPASTE and WP:PARAPHRASE, a violation of Wikipedia:Copyright violations. I believe an administrator will now be alerted to look into it and will decide if the article needs to be deleted. Prhartcom (talk) 22:03, 19 January 2015 (UTC)
- This discussion is transcluded from Talk:Texan schooner Invincible/GA1. The edit link for this section can be used to add comments to the reassessment.
The article clearly does not meet GA criteria. It has been tagged with the copypaste template after three paragraphs were removed as having been copied from this source. The removal of this material has left the article lacking important information, and it no longer qualifies under the "broadness". This has been chronicled on the article's talk page, and nothing has been done to repair the article in the over-a-week since.
In addition, checking that same source with Duplication detector reveals that there are also some phrases that are closely paraphrased from that same source above, and some very long phrases (17, 24, and 31 words at the longest) were copied from another page at the tshaonline.org page on Jeremiah Brown (source 3).
Given the extensive copyvios, this certainly has no business being a GA—the "respects copyright law" requirement is in tatters, as is the broadness requirement—and I plan to delist this as soon as is feasible. BlueMoonset (talk) 19:48, 27 January 2015 (UTC)
- Delist - Agreed. From my measurements, it is still at least 50 percent copy vio. It should be deleted. Prhartcom (talk) 20:24, 27 January 2015 (UTC)
- Delist - due to appparent copyright violations this article fails GA criteria 1a. Now that its been hacked to pieces it also fails 3a (broad in coverage) as key information about the topic is missing. Anotherclown (talk) 11:21, 28 January 2015 (UTC)
- Delist - the article as it stands could never pass GA; it will need substantial work and to be completely rewritten. Karanacs (talk) 14:39, 28 January 2015 (UTC)
- Question BlueMoonset how much longer until you delist this? Snuggums (talk / edits) 05:45, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
- Snuggums, the instructions for individual reassessments on WP:GAR include 4. Allow time for other editors to respond. I've notified the various WikiProjects and the original author; my plan is to keep this open for a full week. If in that time no one has stepped up to do the work of bringing this article up to GA quality, I will delist it late on February 3, or soon thereafter. BlueMoonset (talk) 02:09, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
- Karanacs, there is no indication that Argos'Dad, the original author, has ever been blocked on English Wikipedia, much less is blocked now. Where did you get this information? BlueMoonset (talk) 21:29, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- My mistake, I didn't do my research well enough. I know that $1LENCE D00600D worked a lot on this article (as User Az81964444) and assumed he was also the original author. $ilence Do600d is the one who is blocked. Karanacs (talk) 01:28, 2 February 2015 (UTC)
Reassessment conclusion: delist
It has been a week, and the other source's copyvios remain and the article is less than complete given the previous deletions. As this fails at least two of the GA criteria, I am delisting the article. BlueMoonset (talk) 23:05, 3 February 2015 (UTC)