The Super Parental Guardians
|The Super Parental Guardians|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Joyce Bernal|
|Music by||Carmina Cuya|
|Distributed by||Star Cinema|
|Box office||₱598 million|
The Super Parental Guardians is a 2016 Philippine action comedy film starring Vice Ganda and Coco Martin. The film is directed by Joyce Bernal and is under the production of Star Cinema. The film marks the second film of Coco with Vice after their blockbuster tandem in the 2015 movie Beauty and the Bestie. This is Vice Ganda's first non-VIVA Films produced film and first film to be directed by Bernal since Wenn V. Deramas' death in February 2016. This also marks as Vice Ganda's first non-MMFF movie since This Guy's in Love with U Mare! in 2012.
The Super Parental Guardians or TSPG tells the story of unlikely "parents" Arci, portrayed by Vice Ganda and Paco, portrayed by Coco Martin. Custody of the children Megan (Awra Briguela) and Ernie (Onyok Pineda) was given to Arci just before the death of his best friend Sarah (portrayed by Matet de Leon). The children's uncle, Paco, has no choice but to live and get along with Arci. As they play the roles of Momshie and Popshie to the children, the craziest and greatest adventure of their lives will now begin.
- Vice Ganda as Ariel Ciriaco "Arci" Taulava
- Coco Martin as Neil "Paco" Nabati
- Awra Briguela as Melvin Gaspar "Megan" Nabati
- Onyok Pineda as Ernesto "Ernie" Nabati
- Matet de Leon as Sarah Nabati
- Assunta De Rossi as Maria Felicidad "Marife" Delos Santos
- Kiray as Liza de Lima
- Lassy Marquez as Nadine Monio
- MC Calaquian as Kathryn "Kat-tunying" Taberna
- Pepe Herrera as Totoy Buto
- Negi Molina as Clumsy Binay
- Joem Bascon as Jake Alangkwenka
- Lao Rodriguez as Buboy
- Kiko Matos as GGGC Gangster
- Jack Love Falcis as GGGC Gangster
- Relleyson Salazar - Taong Grasa
- Kevin Delgado as Delfin Nabati (Sarah and Paco's Father)
- Bela Padilla as Emmy
- Jhong Hilario as Val Santos
- Allan Paule as Dylan Dioko
- Emilio Garcia as General Ronwaldo "Gen. Aldo" Delos Santos
- Baron Geisler as ADIKTUS Gangster
- Kim Idol as BRGY Captain
- Jeric Raval as Alex Soriano
Vice Ganda announced on September 8, 2016 that the shooting for his film with Coco Martin has begun. The film was directed by Joyce Bernal. By November 2016, the production of the film is already done.
On November 7, 2016, Vice stated that his film, then entitled Super Parental Guidance or SPG was already submitted as an entry for the 2016 Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) beating the deadline set by the MMFF which was on November 2. The film was not selected as one of the 8 entries to be shown in the film festival. On November 21, Star Cinema announced that the movie would be released in theaters on November 30, 2016.
The trailer for the film was released on November 21, 2016 which shows that the title of the film was changed to The Super Parental Guardians.
"Ang Kulit", an original composition by Vice Ganda, was released as the movie's official theme song. It was first heard on November 21, 2016 via MOR 101.9 during a late night show with DJ Joko Loko. Vice and Coco performed the song on ASAP stage on November 27, 2016 as part of the movie's promotion. They are joined by child stars Awra Briguela and Onyok Pineda who are also part of the movie.
Upon its release, The Super Parental Guardians eventually became a box office success earning ₱75 million on its first day breaking the record of My Bebe Love in 2015 which grossed Php 60.5 million on its first day. By December 8, 2016, the film already garnered at least ₱300 million.
It received generally negative reviews from critics. Oggs Cruz of Rappler gave a negative review, commenting on the film's plot as "unsurprisingly threadbare", and adds that "[it] fails to be the powerful thing it could and should have been [...] it desensitizes the public to the horrors of whatever is happening in society." Reviewer Jansen Musico of CNN Philippines was displeased with the film, commenting that "[T]his two-hour vaudeville is entertaining in small, healthy doses. Anything more feels like a waste of neurons." [...] [M]any of the film's jokes are one-offs that are overstuffed into a thin, flimsy script, bloating it with news and pop culture references that add nothing to the main story arc."
On the other hand, a reviewer from Philippine Daily Inquirer's Bandera praised the film, giving a score of 9 out of 10, writing that the film "is so light it perfectly fits for Pinoys who only want to be entertained this Christmas," and "delivers its purpose to make audiences laugh hard that many of them need despite with what's currently happening in the country."
- "The Super Parental Guardians (12A)". British Board of Film Classification. 8 December 2016. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- "'Super Parental Guardians' earns P598-M after five weeks". ABS-CBN Newa. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
- "Vice Ganda shares more about his new movie "Super Parental Guidance" - Push.com.ph". Pushmobile.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "Vice Ganda-Coco movie meets MMFF deadline | ABS-CBN News". News.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "Coco, Vice sport new looks for upcoming movie". ABS-CBN News. 14 September 2016. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- Escuadro, Kiko (7 November 2016). "Vice Ganda shares more about his new movie "Super Parental Guidance"". Push (in Filipino). Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "Vice Ganda-Coco movie meets MMFF deadline". ABS-CBN News. 7 November 2016. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "Coco Martin, Vice Ganda team up in 'The Super Parental Guardians'". Rappler. 20 November 2016. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "Super Parental Guardians StarCinema Released Craziest FULL TRAILER". Rodmagaru.Com. 22 November 2016. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- "Vice Ganda hopes 'The Super Parental Guardians' will bring positivity despite national issues - Push.com.ph". Pushmobile.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "Star Cinema - Home". Starcinemamobile.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "Vice Ganda - Dahil maaga ang pasko, palabas na sa 280..." Facebook. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "Sobra sobra ang pasasalamat namin sa... - ABS-CBN Film Productions Inc. (Star Cinema)". Facebook. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "'Ang Kulit,' Vice Ganda sings 'The Super Parental Guardians' theme song". Starcinema.abs-cbn.com. 2016-11-21. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "Vice Ganda - Vice Ganda singing "Ang Kulit" the official..." Facebook. 2016-11-26. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "WATCH: Vice, Coco in 'ASAP' number | ABS-CBN News". News.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "'The Super Parental Guardians' breaches the P300M mark". Star Cinema. December 8, 2016. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- Cruz, Oggs (December 1, 2016), The Super Parental Guardians review: Comedy against the backdrop of a harsh reality, Rappler, retrieved December 4, 2016
- Cruz, Oggs (December 2, 2016), 'Enteng Kabisote 10 and the Abangers' Review: What's become of Enteng?, Rappler, retrieved December 3, 2016
- "Movie Review: "The Super Parental Guardians" nina Vice at Coco riot sa katatawanan", Inquirer.net, December 1, 2016, retrieved December 4, 2016