Tim Thornton (bishop)
|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Truro|
|Diocese||Diocese of Truro|
|Installed||7 March 2009|
|Other posts||Lord Spiritual (2013–present)
Bishop of Sherborne (2001–2008)
|Consecration||21 October 2001
by George Carey
|Born||14 April 1957|
|Residence||Lis Escop, Truro|
|Alma mater||University of Southampton
King's College London
Timothy Martin "Tim" Thornton (born 14 April 1957) is a British Anglican bishop and Lord Spiritual. He is the current Bishop of Truro, having previously been the area Bishop of Sherborne from 2001 to 2008. He has been a Member of the House of Lords since 2013.
Early life and education
Thornton was born on 14 April 1957. He was educated at Devonport High School for Boys, an all-boys grammar school in Plymouth, Devon. He studied theology at the University of Southampton, and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1978. That year, he entered St Stephen's House, Oxford, an Anglo-Catholic theological college, to train for the priesthood. He later studied at King's College London graduating with an MA in 1997.
Ordained in 1980, he began his ministry with a curacy at Todmorden and then as priest-in-charge at Walsden. He then became bishop's chaplain to David Hope: successively in the Diocese of Wakefield and the Diocese of London. From 1994 until 1998 he was Principal of the North Thames Ministerial Training Course. His final post before his ordination to the episcopate was as the vicar of Kensington.
In 2013, Thornton became eligible to join the Lords Spiritual in the House of Lords upon the retirement of Nigel McCulloch, the then Bishop of Manchester, as the next longest serving diocesan bishop. He officially became a Lord spiritual on 31 January 2013. However, he did not take his seat until he was introduced to the House in April 2013.
Thornton has chaired the Board of Trustees of The Children's Society from 2010. He was a trustee of the Church Army 2000-2008. He is a trustee of the following Cornish charities: Volunteer Cornwall, BF Adventure (formerly Bishops Forum), Cornwall Community Foundation.
In 2015, Thornton was the Anglican delegate to the XIV Ordinary General Assembly of the (Roman Catholic) Synod of Bishops.
- Anglican communion
- Official announcement
- Parliament: New Lords, 31 January 2013.
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- "Truro Bishop Tim takes up his seat in Lords". Western Morning News. 23 April 2013. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- "Timothy Martin Thornton". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 26 December 2015. (subscription required)
- Debrett's People of Today London, Debrett's, 2008 ISBN 978-1-870520-95-9
- "Bishop of Truro". House of Lords. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- UK Parliament website: Biographies of Peers
- Truro Cathedral News
- Number 10 — Suffragan See of Sherborne
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Sherborne
|Bishop of Truro