Bishop to the Forces
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Anglican church in the British Armed Forces falls under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Canterbury; however, for all practical purposes the function is performed by the Bishop to the Forces. His full title is "The Archbishop of Canterbury's Episcopal Representative to the Armed Forces". The Bishop to the Forces is not a military chaplain.
There is sometimes confusion between the (Anglican) "Bishop to the Forces" and the (Roman Catholic) "Bishop of the Forces": for this reason the latter is normally given his title in full, i.e. "The Roman Catholic Bishop of the Forces".
List of bishops
|Bishops to the Forces|
|1948||1956||Cuthbert Bardsley||Also Bishop of Croydon; later became Bishop of Coventry.|
|1956||1966||Stanley Betts||Also Bishop of Maidstone; later became Dean of Rochester.|
|1966||1975||John Hughes||Also Bishop of Croydon.|
|1977||1984||Stuart Snell||Also Bishop of Croydon.|
|1985||1990||Ronald Gordon||Also Bishop at Lambeth.|
|1990||1992||David Smith||Also Bishop of Maidstone; later became Bishop of Bradford.|
|1992||2001||John Kirkham||Also Bishop of Sherborne.|
|2001||2009||David Conner||Also Dean of Windsor.|
|2009||2014||Stephen Venner||Also Bishop for the Falkland Islands.|
|9 July 2014||2017||Nigel Stock||Also Bishop at Lambeth and Bishop for the Falkland Islands; retired August 2017.|
|6 September 2017||present||Tim Thornton||As Bishop at Lambeth; commissioned 6 September 2017.|
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 2008/2009 (100th edition), Church House Publishing (ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0)
-  Archived July 23, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "England: Archbishop Welby commissions new Bishop to the Forces". Anglicannews.org. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- Archbishop of Canterbury — Nigel Stock announces retirement as Bishop at Lambeth (Accessed 17 March 2017)
- Lambeth Palace — Tim Thornton announced as new Bishop at Lambeth (Accessed 4 April 2017)
- Lambeth Palace — Tim Thornton commissioned as new Bishop at Lambeth (Accessed 9 September 2017)
|This United Kingdom military article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Anglicanism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|