University of California Student Association
|Founded||February 11, 1971|
|Council of Student Body Presidents|
The University of California Student Association (UCSA) is an active 501(c)(3) unincorporated association, purposed as a student association of all University of California (UC) students. Its charter states that it "shall exist to: serve the interests of the current and future students of the University of California and promotes [sic] cooperation between various student governments of the University and student organizations concerned with higher education." The Association is not a public agency, but its leadership is composed of representatives of UC student governments, which are "official units of the University" system (with one exception). UCSA participates in various aspects of the UC system's governance, notably including the selection of the student representative on the UC Board of Regents.
UCSA representatives have opposed education funding cuts and increases in student fees and supported affirmative action in enrollment policies. The association mobilizes students via voter registration campaigns; it recorded 26,000 new voter registrations in 2006, and added 12,300 new registrations in 2008 for the California Democratic and Republican primaries. In April 2016, UCSA called for the removal of then-chancellor of UC Davis, Linda Katehi. In January and October 2017, UCSA called for the removal of Norman Pattiz, a UC Regent, due to sexual harassment allegations that Pattiz has admitted to.
UCSA's governing body is its board of directors, which is chartered to be made up of the external vice presidents of all UC student governments. However, UCSA generally requires each student government to pay dues to maintain voting rights on the board. Thus, student governments may effectively "withdraw" from UCSA by refusing to pay dues.
In May 2017, the UCSA board of directors included voting members from 18 student governments. That number dropped to 11 in 2018 because a number of professional and graduate student governments withdrew from UCSA and formed a separate organization named "University of California Graduate and Professional Council".
- Associated Students of the University of California (UC Berkeley)
- Associated Students, UC Davis (previously withdrew in 2006)
- Associated Students, UC Irvine (previously withdrew in 2014)
- Undergraduate Students Association Council (UCLA)
- Graduate Students Association of UCLA (previously withdrew in 2008)
- Associated Students of UC Merced
- Associated Students of UC Riverside
- UC San Diego Associated Students
- Associated Students of UC Santa Barbara
- Graduate Students Association of UC Santa Barbara
- Student Union Assembly (UC Santa Cruz)
Student regent selection
Southern and northern regional UC student nominating commissions annually select ten semifinalists for University of California student regent. These semifinalists are then interviewed by the UCSA board of directors. The board chooses three applicants, who are then interviewed by a special Regents' committee. The committee then recommends a nominee to the full board of University of California Regents.
- African Black Coalition
- California State Student Association
- National Association of Graduate-Professional Students
- Student Senate for California Community Colleges
- United States Student Association
- "Exempt Organizations Select Check". Internal Revenue Service. Retrieved 2017-05-08.
- "Professional Staff". University of California Student Association. Retrieved 2019-02-11.
- "Exempt Organizations List" (PDF). California Franchise Tax Board. Retrieved 2017-05-08.
- "Nonprofit Explorer - University of California Student Association". Nonprofit Explorer. ProPublica. Retrieved 2017-05-08.
- "University of California Student Association Form 990" (PDF). Retrieved 2017-05-08.
- "Charter of the University of California Student Association" (PDF). University of California Student Association. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- "Regents Policy 3301: Policy on Associated Students". University of California Board of Regents. Retrieved 2017-05-08.
- "UC Student Regents". University of California Student Association. Archived from the original on 2013-11-11. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- "Regents Policy 1202: Policy on Appointment of Student Regent". University of California Board of Regents. Retrieved 2017-05-08.
- Jacoby, Pat (2007-05-17). "Marco Murillo, New President of UC San Diego Students, Credits Preuss School With Opening Scholastic Perspectives" (Press release). University of California, San Diego University Communications. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- Schevitz, Tanya; Fagan, Kevin; Yi, Matthew (2008-04-22). "Nearly 2,000 protest college spending cuts". SFGate. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- Avila, Theresa (2008-05-15). "Fee hike leads to protests". The Daily Bruin. Archived from the original on July 25, 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- Miran, Aria (2008-01-18). "Regents To Postpone Increase in Student Costs". The Daily Nexus. Archived from the original on March 23, 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- Jacobson, Jennifer (2003-09-19). "Students Sue States Over Tuition Increases but Face an Uphill Battle". The Chronicle of Higher Education. Archived from the original on 2003-09-19. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "THE REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA MEETING AS A COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE". Retrieved 2016-05-17.[permanent dead link]
- Galio, Katalina (2008-01-23). "12,300 UC Students Registered in Time for Primary". The Daily Californian. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- Stanton, Sam (2016-04-16). "UC Student Association calls for Katehi's resignation or firing". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- Chan, Melissa (2016-04-17). "Student Association Calls for UC Davis Chancellor to Resign Amid Controversy". TIME.com. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- "Student group demands UC Davis chancellor's resignation over image scrubbing". FoxNews.com. 2016-04-17. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- Parvini, Sarah; Vives, Ruben (2016-04-16). "Calls for UC Davis chancellor's ouster grow amid Internet scrubbing controversy". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- Fang, Alex (2016-04-18). "UC Student Association demands resignation of UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi". The Daily Californian. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- Wolf, Ali (2016-04-18). "UC Student Association Calls for Chancellor Katehi to Step Down During Annual Lobby Day". Fox 40 News. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- Reilly, Katie (2017-11-16). "UC Regent: Students Should Be 'Ashamed' for Demanding I Resign for Sexual Harassment". Time. Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- DeRuy, Emily (2017-11-15). "Students should be 'ashamed' for demanding he resign over sexual comments, UC regent says". The Mercury News. Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- Website of the University of California Graduate and Professional Council.
- "Student Board". University of California Student Association. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- Von Kaenel, Camille (2014-04-01). "UCLA graduate government considers rejoining UCSA". The Daily Bruin. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- Menendez, Sarah S. (2014-03-04). "UCI Leaves UCSA". New University. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- "2017-2018 Student Regent of The University of California Application Form" (PDF). Retrieved 2017-05-08.