|Initial release||February 13, 2000|
|Stable release||0.9.33.2 (May 15, 2012[±])|
|License||GNU Lesser General Public License|
In computing, uClibc is a small C standard library intended for Linux kernel-based operating systems for embedded systems and mobile devices. uClibc was created to support μClinux, a version of Linux not requiring a memory management unit and thus suited for microcontrollers (uCs; the "u" is a romanization of μ for "micro").
Development on uClibc started around 1999. uClibc was mostly written from scratch, but has incorporated code from glibc and other projects. The project lead is Erik Andersen, and the other main contributor is Manuel Novoa III. Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License, uClibc is free and open-source software.
uClibc is much smaller than the glibc, the C library normally used with Linux distributions. While glibc is intended to fully support all relevant C standards across a wide range of hardware and kernel platforms, uClibc is specifically focused on embedded Linux. Features can be enabled or disabled according to space requirements.
uClibc runs on standard and MMU-less Linux systems. It supports i386, x86-64, ARM (big/little endian), AVR32, Blackfin, h8300, m68k, MIPS (big/little endian), PowerPC, SuperH (big/little endian), SPARC, and v850 processors.
uClibc-ng is a spin-off of uClibc that regularly provides a stable and tested release, which is more suitable for different software development processes.
- "µClibc News". µClibc. 2012-02-01. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- "uClibc FAQ: Licensing". uclibc.org. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- uClibc naming Accessed on February 10, 2008.
- "History". uClibc FAQ. Retrieved 2007-06-19.
- "uClibc Changelog". Archived from the original on 2007-06-09. Retrieved 2007-06-19.
pthreads support (derived from glibc 2.1.3's linuxthreads library) [...] Merged in the random number support (rand, srand, etc) from glibc.
- "uClibc-ng". uclibc-ng.org. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- Karim Yaghmour, Jon Masters, Gilad Ben-Yossef, Philippe Gerum (2008). Building Embedded Linux Systems (2 ed.). O'Reilly Media. pp. 115–127. ISBN 0-596-52968-6.
- von Hagen, William L. (2006). The Definitive Guide to GCC, Second Edition. Berkeley, CA: APress. pp. 290–297. ISBN 1-59059-585-8.
- Official website
- uClibc at Freecode
- Comparison of C/POSIX standard library implementations for Linux