University of Management and Technology (Virginia)
|Motto||Committed to building futures|
The University of Management and Technology (UMT), located in Arlington, Virginia, is an accredited institution of higher education offering undergraduate and graduate degree programs and professional programs. It was founded in 1998.
- Founded in 1998, UMT is authorized to operate by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV).
- Institutional accreditation is provided by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC). DEAC is an authorized national accrediting agency of the U.S. Department of Education and recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). UMT is an institutional member of CHEA.
- UMT is approved by U.S. Department of Education to participate in Title IV program to provide Federal Student Aid (FSA) to qualified students to finance their studies in UMT education programs.
- UMT is approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services of U.S. Department of Homeland Security to accept F-1 visa international students. UMT is also approved by U.S. Department of States to accept J-1 visa international exchange students.
- UMT is approved by the Virginia State Approving Agency for purposes of various veterans’ education benefits programs.
- UMT has been active for two decades in Project Management Institute (PMI) to promote project management as a profession. UMT's project management degree programs have specialized accreditation by the Global Accreditation Center of the PMI.
In 2011, the Department of Justice began to targeting Chinese-American scientists on national security grounds., including Yanping Chen, the president of UMT. In 2012, the FBI carried out its investigation of Chen, collecting substantial personal information taken from her home and office, with no charge filed against her. In March 2016, the US Attorney's office noted that the investigation had ended without charge.
As a result of the Fox News story, in 2018 the Department of Defense suspended its Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with UMT. The Department indicated that the university could apply to have the MOU reinstated. In December 2018, Chen filed a Privacy Act lawsuit against the government for illegally releasing personal data under its guardianship.
- See List of Private Colleges published by State Council of higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-03. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- Distance Education Accreditation Commission. "DEAC Accredited institutions". www.deac.org.
- Council of Higher Education Accreditation. "Database of Institutions & Programs Accredited by Recognized US Accrediting Orgs". chea.org.
- U.S. Department of Education. https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?s=all&zc=22209&zd=0&of=3&id=437097
- See UMT's webpage about accreditation at
- "WEAMS Public". inquiry.vba.va.gov. Retrieved 2019-01-08.
- Project Management Institute Global Accreditation Center. "PMI GAC Directory".
- Hvistendahl, Mara (November 12, 2015) "Chinese-American Scientists in the Crosshairs" Science
- Schlein, Zach (December 26, 2018) "Suit Claims Federal Agencies Leaked Chinese-American Scientists' Info to Fox News" National Law Journal (subscription required)
- Herridge, Catherine (2017-02-24). "Fox News investigation: DoD-funded school at center of federal probes over suspected Chinese military ties". Fox News. Retrieved 2019-01-08.
- Gross, Natalie (2018-04-06). "DoD bans popular TA school from accepting the benefit". Reboot Camp. Retrieved 2019-01-08.