Wish you and your family Pongal and Makara Sankranti greetings--Nvvchar (talk) 02:43, 14 January 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks my dear friend, many more happy pongals to you in WikipediaTaprobanus (talk) 06:20, 14 January 2009 (UTC)
Very valid point
Yes a very valid point on how come they did not reach Americas or Southern Africa. Probably trying to date the saying "thirai kadal oodiyum thiraviyam thedu" will sort this out. Cheers Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 11:53, 14 January 2009 (UTC)
- This might explain the fact you mentioned that Old Persian lacked Aryan elements in it. Just try reading the highlighted portions. :D Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 15:45, 14 January 2009 (UTC)
Take a look. Kind of relevant to what you said in my talk page about Polenasian connections. Taprobanus (talk) 16:58, 14 January 2009 (UTC)
Dear Mr. Ravichander84,
- Happy Pongal to you also. You are experinced in article wrting where as I am not. My wife has a medical problem. I am inactive these days. Wish you all best of life.
- I do not know where to reply? Can you help?
--Dore chakravarty (talk) 18:10, 14 January 2009 (UTC)
Thanks Ravichandar, Happy Pongal and a prosperous Tamil New year--Sureshmaran (talk) 11:55, 15 January 2009 (UTC)
Date of Birth
Please see whether this is correct Born February 16, 1984?
--Dore chakravarty (talk) 18:45, 14 January 2009 (UTC)
DYK for Mohammad Usman of Madras
Gatoclass (talk) 11:14, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
- Pleased to see this, I hope you'll find my additions helpful. When I can find time, I'd like to start some of the articles sadly missing, such as one on the Viceroy's Council. Umar Zulfikar Khan (talk) 17:58, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
- Wow, always wonder who the Usman Road is named after. Good work there (once again)! Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 18:27, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
- Thank you very much :-)-RavichandarMy coffee shop 18:58, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
- A walk around George Town will leave a few more too. Thambu Chetty, Thyappa Mudaliar, Paramanandha Mudaliar... I do not think streets were merely named after early residents. BTW reminds me of one of my best friends in George Town who's grand father (Dr. Habibullah Baig) was mayor of Madras. Which in turn points out that we don't have article listing mayors of Chennai. Or do we? Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 19:24, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
- Nopes I don't think he was a
dubash Diwan. He was a prominent member of the Indian Union Muslim League. I believe that he was the MLA in 1967 for Habour constituency (if my memory serves right) and was the first to take away the constituency from Congress. He later alied with AIADMK. Now this in turn reminds me of Quaid-e-Milleth (his real name is Mohammed Ismail I guess) who was one of the founders of Indian Union Muslim League and was then a prominent leader and doesn't have a wiki entry. Should we have a to do list made? Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 19:48, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
- Yes I know about it being reinstated with Rajah Muttiah Chettiar as the person who created the entry. :D Agree that it should be easy to get that done. Probably!!!! Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 19:50, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
- BTW I do not think all MPs will meet the notability guidelines. That would be pretty hard. Anyways, thats what I think. Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 02:44, 18 January 2009 (UTC)
Need some reference
Hey! I'm working on Dravidian parties article as you know. I want to add this infomation into that under a section on Dravidar Kazhagam but short of reference. Can you help me with that please?
I have citation for the one in small, it is the other parts that I need. Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 20:25, 17 January 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks mate Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 02:42, 18 January 2009 (UTC)
Wikipedia Signpost, January 17, 2009
You are receiving this message because you have signed up for the Signpost spamlist. If you wish to stop receiving these messages, simply remove your name from the list.--ragesoss (talk) 21:12, 17 January 2009 (UTC)
Delievered by SoxBot II (talk) at 00:52, 18 January 2009 (UTC)
I think your idea about the British Indian Empire WikiProject (instead) of Princely States WikiProject is a good idea. Will look into the details of starting it and get back to you and some other likely interested parties. Fowler&fowler«Talk» 03:31, 18 January 2009 (UTC)
- PS I left this post earlier on the India related talk page. I thought I was on your page! Fowler&fowler«Talk» 04:01, 18 January 2009 (UTC)
Image tagging for File:Cnatesamudaliar.JPG
Thanks for uploading File:Cnatesamudaliar.JPG. You don't seem to have said where the image came from or who created it. We require this information to verify that the image is legally usable on Wikipedia, and because most image licenses require giving credit to the image's creator.
To add this information, click on this link, then click "Edit this page" and add the information to the image's description. If you need help, post your question on Wikipedia:Media copyright questions.
For more information on using images, see the following pages:
Thank you for your cooperation. --ImageTaggingBot (talk) 18:07, 18 January 2009 (UTC)
DYK for S. Anantharamakrishnan
Dravecky (talk) 18:31, 18 January 2009 (UTC)
Hey, I don't see a reference citing the fact. The event coinciding with the music season is interesting and can be a good alt, but the reference you have cited there doesn't state that (or I missed it). Cheers Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 04:22, 19 January 2009 (UTC)
- Can you add the hook with an inline citation into the article please? Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 14:44, 19 January 2009 (UTC)
- Done-RavichandarMy coffee shop 22:44, 19 January 2009 (UTC)
Hello! Your submission at the Did You Know nominations page has been reviewed, and there still are some issues that may need to be clarified. Please review the comment(s) underneath your nomination's entry and respond there as soon as possible. Thank you for contributing to Did You Know! Rosiestep (talk) 23:22, 19 January 2009 (UTC)
DYK for Chennai Book Fair
Dravecky (talk) 08:10, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
Hello. Concerning your contribution, File:AvestanIran.jpg, please note that Wikipedia cannot accept copyrighted text or images obtained from other web sites or printed material, without the permission of the author(s). This article or image appears to be a direct copy from http://maps.google.com. As a copyright violation, File:AvestanIran.jpg appears to qualify for deletion under the speedy deletion criteria. File:AvestanIran.jpg has been tagged for deletion, and may have been deleted by the time you see this message.
If you believe that the article or image is not a copyright violation, or if you have permission from the copyright holder to release the content freely under the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL) then you should do one of the following:
- If you have permission from the author, leave a message explaining the details at [[Talk:File:AvestanIran.jpg]] and send an email with the message to "permissions-en (at) wikimedia (dot) org". See Wikipedia:Requesting copyright permission for instructions.
- If a note on the original website states that re-use is permitted under the GFDL or released into the public domain leave a note at [[Talk:File:AvestanIran.jpg]] with a link to where we can find that note.
- If you hold the copyright to the material: send an e-mail from an address associated with the original publication to permissions-en(at)wikimedia(dot)org or a postal message to the Wikimedia Foundation permitting re-use under the GFDL, and note that you have done so on [[Talk:File:AvestanIran.jpg]].
However, for textual content, you may simply consider rewriting the content in your own words. Thank you. dab (𒁳) 10:06, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
What have you got to say about this: File:EpicIndia.jpg? I uploaded my image only after I found other images like these here.-RavichandarMy coffee shop 10:12, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
- No reply??? Yeah, you can go ahead with the delete if you feel that it violates copyright laws. I uploaded it over an year back when I was new to the project-RavichandarMy coffee shop 10:25, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
wow, "no reply???" after I left you languishing for all of 13 minutes? What poor customer care on my part. well, if you agree that your image violates copyright law, I don't see why you need to act all miffed at me, let's just delete it and move on. I agree File:EpicIndia.jpg is suspicious, the background map seems to be watermarked, but I cannot be bothered to figure out where exactly this map originated. --dab (𒁳) 10:30, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
- Where did I say that it was "poor customer care"? You threaten me in my talk page that the image "might get deleted even while I'm having a look at the message". Of course, how do you expect me to react? I didn't act miffed at you. How can you image that? -RavichandarMy coffee shop 10:39, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
I dropped you a standardized note out of courtesy. Get a grip, man. --dab (𒁳) 10:44, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
- Okay! Yeah, you may delete the image. I wouldn't mind much. All I wish is to explain my reasons for having uploaded that image and bring your notice to EpicIndia.jpg and it is all because you had raised a question on the image page.-RavichandarMy coffee shop 10:56, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
-- Tinu Cherian - 18:13, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
Thanks Ravi. I have already nominated a hook, although am not very happy about it. For me the most interesting thing in the article was that although Pure Tamil Movement and Self-respect movement helped each other and above all both of them helped the DMK, the people who brought about this had serious personal differences. Although a bit clumsy, I have nominated the following hook
... that Maraimalai Adigal, who was a Saivite and considered to be the father of the Pure Tamil movement, had political differences on atheistic ideologies of Periyar's Self-Respect Movement?
I think the overall contribution of Saivites to contemporary Tamil society is also largely forgotten. Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 11:14, 22 January 2009 (UTC)
- We certainly can't deny the fact what Saivites have contributed to Tamil as a language and as a culture. People like Kundrakudi Adigal and Kripananda Variyar are just a few to name. As a matter of fact old Tamil Christian hymns were based on Tamil Saiva poems. Henry Alfred Krishnapillai's songs are said to be modeled from Tevaram. As for anti-religious stance, I think it was Periyar's personal belief and probably unavoidable at that time. In my opinion, it is all the same as to be a religous fundamentalist or an atheist zealot. But unfortunately the tenets of either philisophies are made by the radicals. I did not come across any single reference while searching about Maraimalai Adigal on which Periyar made a point on evils with Maraimalai's philosophies other than he being guilty of being devout. Me being a Periyar sympathiser doesn't mean that I should show a blind eye to the shameful fact that Periyar simply opposed Maraimalai Adigal only because the latter was a practicing Hindu. We can also note that Periyar was a close friend of Mohammed Ismail the founder leader of Indian Union Muslim League. But eventually Dravidian politics itself came of age. MK himself has shared stage with Kundrakudi Adigal. This is not a mere marriage of convenience as some people would think. In my opinion (or POV lol) Dravidian political philosophy itself has evolved where caste itself is not the enemy but the hierarchy. Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 15:25, 22 January 2009 (UTC)
- Hi Ravi, the nom on Maraimalai Adigal is still not been checked and it is not in expiring noms. Can you please check if thats OK to go. There are a few other noms too that I have made, if time permits, can you have a look at them too. Cheers Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 16:21, 26 January 2009 (UTC)
Hello, thanks for you comments.
Re:merge, pesonally I would oppose this - there are both diesel and electric Prima locomotives, and the diesel article already takes up a lot of space - a full merge would require similar background coverage for the electrics - which I think would make too long an article (consider the infobox for Prima diesel locomotives for instance..)
I am considing writing a background article for the Prima electric locomotives as a possibility.
I don't exclude that a merge could work - but think it would require some extra work first. However if you think a merge is workable please give your suggestions.Carrolljon (talk) 13:33, 22 January 2009 (UTC)
Thanks for your quick reply.
If you will excuse my forwardness - your user name made me suspect you have links to the indian subcontinent - and a look at your main page confirms that at least you have a thousand times better language skills in that area than I have. I wondered if you know (or perhaps could find out) information on the Sri Lankan Prima type locomotives - (I have none) - indeed I don't even have a model number - you can probably appreciate that it is far harder for me to search for something in a non-latin alphabet (I only really have competent language skills in english).
Any information you can provide would be appreciated - if you have any leaving it on one of the Prima locomotive pages would be a good idea. Please don't go out of your way if you are busy. Thanks for your time.Carrolljon (talk) 14:03, 22 January 2009 (UTC)
Thanks, although given the politicial situation it will be problematic, such a shame. I've been working on Coffee production in El Salvador instead but I'll try to expand it later. Thanks. Dr. Blofeld White cat 16:12, 22 January 2009 (UTC)
Thanks bud although I may need to clean it up a little. I've just started Agriculture in Guyana too just a minute ago as these should have had articles. I can start a new section on history for rice in Burma later, good find! Dr. Blofeld White cat 17:21, 22 January 2009 (UTC)
Thanks although I don't know whether they will permit LOC public domain content to feature as a DYK.Hopefully I can find some more sources and update it somehow. Dr. Blofeld White cat 18:31, 22 January 2009 (UTC)
Perhaps you could also nominate Guyana Sugar Corporation and Gory, Mali for DYK? Dr. Blofeld White cat 13:35, 24 January 2009 (UTC)
Yes, why would I be joking? Its just they are quite good starter articles and otherwise I probably would not list them. Dr. Blofeld White cat 14:48, 24 January 2009 (UTC)
I've just started Agriculture in Bolivia. Not just yet I haven't wikified or intergrated other sources yet. I've spent about an hour finding images on flickr and uploading them to the commons. Dr. Blofeld White cat 14:27, 25 January 2009 (UTC)
did you know - prima
I think you've written the abstract very well - I wouldn't try to change it. Thanks for letting me know.Carrolljon (talk) 11:50, 23 January 2009 (UTC)
Sure. The email I use for Wikipedia is for here alone. So if you email me your id, if thats not a problem, I will add you on to the one I use. Cheers Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 21:47, 24 January 2009 (UTC)
- I have sent you an email. Wiki San Roze †αLҝ 02:04, 25 January 2009 (UTC)
Wikipedia Signpost, January 24, 2009
You are receiving this message because you have signed up for the Signpost spamlist. If you wish to stop receiving these messages, simply remove your name from the list.--ragesoss (talk) 03:08, 25 January 2009 (UTC)
Delivered at 04:51, 25 January 2009 (UTC) by §hepBot (Disable)
DYK for Australian contribution to the Allied Intervention in Russia 1918–1919
Dravecky (talk) 22:41, 26 January 2009 (UTC)