The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for events. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Venue||Executive Airport Plaza Hotel (Executive Inn and Conference Center, 2012–2015)|
|Location(s)||Richmond, British Columbia|
VancouFur is an annual furry convention held in Richmond, British Columbia, celebrating the genre of anthropomorphic art and literature. VancouFur is the first such convention to be held on the west coast of Canada. Beginning in 2012 with attendance of 347 individuals, the convention has since grown, with over 1000 attendees in 2018, the most recent iteration.
The 2016 iteration is known for its attendees' interactions with Syrian refugees staying in the same hotel.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2016)
Unexpectedly, the hotel chosen for the 2016 Vancoufur convention was pressed into service at the same time to temporarily house some of the Syrian refugees who had recently been admitted to Canada. This prompted the convention organizers to circulate a notice to attendees asking them to be sensitive to the needs of the traumatized refugees, and bear in mind that they "will likely not want to interact with you and consent is important for everyone." However, despite initial concerns of a potential culture shock, many of the refugees, especially children, enjoyed interacting with fursuiters at the convention, sparking international media attention.
Attendance by year
|Convention year||Attendance||Percentage change||Fursuiters in fursuit parade||Percentage change|
- Parry, Laurence (14 March 2012). "VancouFur draws media attention to Canada's west-coast furs". Flayrah. Archived from the original on 6 March 2016. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- Bartel, Mario (8 March 2012). "Costumers let their fur down at VancouFur convention". Burnaby Newsleader. Black Press, Inc. Archived from the original on 18 March 2014. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- Chai, Daniel (7 March 2016). "Furries from all over the world celebrate fandom at VancouFur". Vancity Buzz. Buzz Connected Media Inc. Archived from the original on 8 March 2016. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- Gilmer, Marcus (9 March 2016). "Syrian refugees get warm welcome at Vancouver Furry convention". Mashable.com. Mashable, Inc. Archived from the original on 10 March 2016. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- Eleftheriou-Smith, Loulla-Mae (9 March 2016). "Syrian refugees in Canada got housed in same hotel as VancouFur furry convention and the children loved it". Independent.co.uk. Archived from the original on 11 March 2016. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- Graham, Chris (10 March 2016). "Syrian refugee children make some furry friends at Canada convention". The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group Limited. Archived from the original on 13 March 2016. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to VancouFur.|