National Assessment and Accreditation Council
|Headquarters||Bangalore, Karnataka, India|
|Motto||Excellence • Credibility • Relevance|
|Parent department||Ministry of Education|
The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) is a government organisation in India that assesses and accredits Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). It is an autonomous body funded by the University Grants Commission and headquartered in Bangalore.
NAAC was established in 1994 in response to recommendations of National Policy in Education (1986). This policy was to "address the issues of deterioration in quality of education", and the Programme of Action (POA-1992) laid out strategic plans for the policies including the establishment of an independent national accreditation body. Consequently, the NAAC was established in 1994 with its headquarters at Bengaluru.
NAAC grades institutes on an eight-grade ladder:
|Range of institutional CGPA||Letter Grade||Performance Descriptor|
|3.51 – 4.05||A++||Accredited|
|3.26 – 3.50||A+||Accredited|
|3.01 – 3.25||A||Accredited|
|2.76 – 3.00||B++||Accredited|
|2.51 – 2.75||B+||Accredited|
|2.01 – 2.50||B||Accredited|
|1.51 – 2.00||C||Accredited|
|≤ 1.50||D||Not Accredited|
NAAC published a consolidated list of higher education institutions with valid accreditation as of 11 March 2020. The outcome of the recent cycles of accreditation process is tabulated below.
|University||State||CGPA||Accreditation valid up to|
|Government Mohindra College||Punjab||3.86||18/02/2021|
|B.M.S. College of Engineering||Karnataka||3.83||27/03/2024|
|Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya College of Education||Tamil Nadu||3.82||11/09/2022|
|New Arts, Commerce and Science College, Ahmednagar||Maharashtra||3.79||29/10/2022|
|KTHM College, Nashik||Maharashtra||3.79||29/10/2024|
|St. Joseph's College, Bangalore||Karnataka||3.79||29/10/2024|
|St. Xavier's College, Kolkata||West Bengal||3.77||22/01/2024|
|Cotton College, Guwahati||Assam||3.76||04/11/2021|
|St. Joseph's College, Devagiri||Kerala||3.76||15/09/2023|
|Holy Cross College, Tiruchirappalli||Tamil Nadu||3.75||13/02/2027|
|Deogiri College, Aurangabad||Maharashtra||3.75||16/03/2021|
|VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology||Telangana||3.73||15/08/2023|
|Loyola College of Social Sciences||Kerala||3.72||09/12/2021|
|St. Ann’s College of Education, Mangaluru||Karnataka||3.71||09/12/2021|
- "Director NAAC". NAAC. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- "NAAC - Home". www.naac.gov.in. Retrieved 12 December 2020.
- "NAAC - An Overview", National Assessment and Accreditation Council, archived from the original on 25 March 2012, retrieved 10 April 2012
- "Higher Education in India". Government of India Ministry of Human Resource Development Department of Higher Education. Archived from the original on 18 July 2011.
- "Assessment Outcome". www.naac.gov.in.
- http://naac.gov.in/images/docs/STATISTICS/[bare URL]
- "Universities accredited by NAAC whose accreditation period is valid". National Assessment and Accreditation Council. Bengaluru. 11 March 2020. Archived from the original on 9 August 2021. Retrieved 9 August 2021.