National Assessment and Accreditation Council
|Headquarters||Bangalore, Karnataka, India|
The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) is an organisation that assesses and accredits higher education Institutions (HEIs) in India. It is an autonomous body funded by University Grants Commission of Government of India headquartered in Bangalore.
NAAC was established in 1994 in response to recommendations of National Policy in Education (1986). This policy was to "address the issues of deterioration in quality of education", and the Programme of Action (POA-1992) laid out strategic plans for the policies including the establishment of an independent national accreditation body. Consequently, the NAAC was established in 1994 with its headquarters at Bengaluru.
The NAACs grades institutes on an eight-grade ladder:
|Range of institutional CGPA||Letter Grade||Performance Descriptor|
|3.51 – 4.00||A++||Accredited|
|3.26 – 3.50||A+||Accredited|
|3.01 – 3.25||A||Accredited|
|2.76 – 3.00||B++||Accredited|
|2.51 – 2.75||B+||Accredited|
|2.01 – 2.50||B||Accredited|
|1.51 – 2.00||C||Accredited|
|≤ 1.50||D||Not Accredited|
- "Director NAAC". NAAC. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- "NAAC - An Overview", National Assessment and Accreditation Council, archived from the original on 2012-03-25, retrieved 2012-04-10
- "Higher Education in India". Government of India Ministry of Human Resource Development Department of Higher Education. Archived from the original on 2011-07-18.
- "Assessment Outcome". www.naac.gov.in.
- "Total Number of Accreditations as on 02/11/2018". National Assessment and Accreditation Council. 2 November 2017. Retrieved 22 November 2018.