National Assessment and Accreditation Council
|Jurisdiction||Government of India (Union Government)|
|Headquarters||Bangalore, Karnataka, India|
The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) is an organisation that assesses and accredits institutions of higher education in India. It is an autonomous body funded by University Grants Commission of Government of India headquartered in Bangalore.
NAAC was established in 1994 in response to recommendations of National Policy in Education (1986). This policy was to "address the issues of deterioration in quality of education", and the Plan of Action (POA-1992) laid out strategic plans for the policies including the establishment of an independent national accreditation body. Consequently, the NAAC was established in 1994 with its headquarters at Bangalore.
Status of Accredited Universities
At present in India, accreditation is voluntary for Higher Education Institutions.Out of 612 Universities in the country, only 174 of them have been accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). Out of the Universities accredited, 67 have been placed in Grade A, 99 Universities in Grade B and only 6 in Grade C, based on scores awarded during the process of accreditation. A bill - National Accreditation Regulatory Authority for Higher Educational Institutions Bill, 2010 has been introduced in Parliament of India to make it mandatory for every higher educational institution in the country (other than institutions engaged in agricultural education) to be accredited by an independent accreditation agency.
NAAC - SSR Software
There are softwares and services available to manage NAAC data and generate NAAC SSR reports online. ePaathsala provides software to generate SSR and help in academic, administrative, gender and green audits.
- "Director NAAC". NAAC. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- "NAAC - An Overview", National Assessment and Accreditation Council, retrieved 2012-04-10
- "Higher Education in India". Government of India Ministry of Human Resource Development Department of Higher Education. Archived from the original on 2011-07-18.
- Press Information Bureau English Releases. Pib.nic.in. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- PRS | Bill Track | The National Accreditation Regulatory Authority for Higher Educational Institutions Bill, 2010. Prsindia.org. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- ePaathsala - NAAC Software