Jamia Millia Islamia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014)|
|جامیہ ملیہ اسلامیہ|
|Motto||Allammal Insaana Maalam Yalam (He Taught man what he knew not)|
|Chancellor||Lt. General (Retd) M. A. Zaki|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Talat Ahmad|
|Location||New Delhi, Delhi, India|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AIU|
Jamia Millia Islamia (Urdu: جامعہ ملیہ اسلامیہ, Hindi: जामिया मिलिया इस्लामिया, translation: National Islamic University ) is a public central university located in Delhi. It was established at Aligarh in United Provinces, India during British rule in 1920. It became a Central University by an act of the Indian Parliament in 1988.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 History
- 3 Jamia Millia Islamia Today
- 4 Faculties
- 5 Centers
- 6 Schools
- 7 Library
- 8 Notable Alumni
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
This university was established by nationalist Muslim leaders in 1920. Its campus is located in South Delhi. The university provides undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate courses. Jamia Millia Islamia, an institution originally established at Aligarh in United Provinces, India in 1920 became a Central University by an act of the Indian Parliament in 1988. In Arabic language, Jamia means 'University', and Millia means 'Community'.
The story of its growth from a small institution in the pre-independence India to a central university located in New Delhi—offering integrated education from nursery to research in specialised areas—is a saga of dedication, conviction and vision of a people who worked against all odds and saw it growing step by step. They “built up the Jamia Millia stone by stone and sacrifice by sacrifice,” said Sarojini Naidu, the nightingale of India.
- Dr Zakir Hussain was the first Vice Chancellor who took over in its turbulent times and guided it through with all the difficulties Jamia faced. After his death, he was buried in the campus of the University and his mausoleum is open to the public.
- Dr. Mukhtar Ahmad Ansari, who later on became the Vice Chancellor. The main auditorium of the University is dedicated to him and is named after him.
- Shaikhul Hind Maulana Mahmud Hasan
- Abdul Majeed Khwaja
- Abid Hussain
- Hakim Ajmal Khan
- Mohammad Mujeeb, under whose leadership Jamia became a Deemed University
The Campus is distributed over a large area. Many of its buildings are being modernized. Greenery is supported and advocated. Jamia was accorded the status of a Central University by act of the parliament vide the Jamia Millia Islamia Act 1988 (no. 59 of 1988) in December 1988.
Jamia Millia Islamia Today
Jamia was accorded the status of a Central University by act of the parliament in December 1988.
In 2006 the King of Saudi Arabia paid a visit to the university and donated a record $30 million for construction of a library. Its scenic cricket ground (popularly known as the Bhopal Ground ) has hosted Ranji Trophy matches and a women's cricket test match. Besides its seven faculties, the Jamia has centres of learning and research, like the Mass Communication Research Centre (MCRC), Faculty of Engineering & Technology, Centre for Theoretical Physics and the Academy of Third World Studies (ATWS). The Jamia offers undergraduate and postgraduate information and technology courses.
Jamia Millia Islamia has 9 Faculties under which it offers academic and extension programs:
Faculty of Law
This faculty specialises in quality training and education to budding lawyers through the following programs:
Faculty of Engineering and Technology
Established in 1985 with the departments of Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering departments. It has added the departments of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Department of Applied Science and Humanities (1996) and has six engineering departments— Applied Sciences & Humanities, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics & Communications, Mechanical Engineering, computer Engineering—and a University Polytechnic. These departments also conduct many projects sponsored various agencies. The faculty offers regular courses and continuing programmes.
The faculty has SEVEN departments —
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Applied Sciences
Faculty of Architecture & Ekistics
This faculty has the Department of Architecture and it offers the following programs
- B Arch (Regular and Self-Financing)
- M Arch
- M Ekistics
Faculty of Humanities and Languages
The faculty has nine departments:
- English and Modern European Languages
- Tourism and Hospitality
- History and Culture
- Islamic Studies
Islamic Studies has been a part of Jamia’s curriculum since its inception in 1920 at Aligarh. Prominent scholars of Islam have taught Islamic Studies in Jamia as an optional as well as a compulsory subject, to name a few: Maulana Mohd. Ali Johar, Maulana Mohd Aslam Jairajpuri, Maulana Mohd Abdus Salam Kidwai Nadvi, Maulana Qazi Zainul Abideen Sajjad Meeruti, Prof Mohd Mujeeb, Dr. S. Abid Husain, Prof Ziaul Hasan Faruqi, Prof Mushirul Haq, Prof Majid Ali Khan and Prof I.H. Azad Faruqi.In 1975, a separate multi-disciplinary Department of Islamic and Arab-Iranian Studies was instituted. Following a trifurcation, a full-fledged Department of Islamic Studies was established in 1988. The department publishes its annual magazine titled as Sada e Jauhar.
offering programmes in PhD, M Phil (pre-PhD), postgraduate, undergraduate, diploma and certificate courses.
Faculty of Fine Arts
This faculty has six departments
- Applied Arts
- Art Education
- Graphic Art
- Art History & Art Appreciation
Offering prorammes in PhD, Master of Fine Arts (M F A), Bachelor of Fine Arts (B F A), Diploma and Certificate courses.
Beside these, the campus has an art gallery named after the Indian painter MF Husain
Faculty of Social Sciences
This faculty has seven departments
- Adult & Continuing Education
- Political Science
- Social Work
- Commerce & Business Studies
The Faculty of Social Science is based around Gulistan-e-Ghalib, and is commonly addressed as the Main Campus.
Faculty of Natural Sciences
This faculty has 7 departments -
- Computer Science
Faculty of Education
This faculty specializes in quality training and education to budding teachers through its two departments
- Educational Studies
- Institute of Advanced Studies in Education (Formerly Dept of Teacher Training and Non Formal Education)
Faculty of Dentistry
This faculty specialises in quality training and education to budding dentists through a five-year BDS program
AJK Mass Communication Research Center
The Mass Communication Research Centre was established in 1982 by Anwar Jamal Kidwai, then vice-chancellor (later chancellor) of Jamia Millia Islamia. Jamia is today known primarily for these mass communication courses. according to their own site.
Besides these faculties, there are twenty centres of learning and research. Notable among these is the MA in Mass Communication offered by the AJK Mass Communication and Research Center:
- FTK-Centre for Information Technology An internet facility is available for the faculty members, staff, research scholars, and students.
- Dr. Zakir Husain Institute of Islamic Studies
- Maulana Mohammad Ali Jauhar Academy of Third World Studies
- Centre for Distance and Open Learning
- Centre for Management Studies
- Nelson Mandela Centre for Peace and Conflict Resolution
- Centre for Jawaharlal Nehru Studies
- Centre for the Study of Comparative Religions and Civilizations
- Centre for West Asian Studies
- Dr. K. R. Narayanan Centre for Dalit and Minorities Studies
- Centre for Spanish and Latin American Studies
- Centre for Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Sciences
- Academy of Professional Development of Urdu Medium Teachers
- Academic Staff College
- Barkat Ali Firaq State Resource Centre
- Centre for Coaching and Career Planning
- Centre for Culture Media and Governance
- Centre for Gandhian Studies
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Basic Sciences
- Centre for Theoretical Physics
- Child Guidance Centre
- India – Arab Cultural Centre
- Jamia's Premchand Archives and Literary Centre
- Sarojini Naidu Centre for Women's Studies
- University Counseling and Guidance Centre
- Centre for Early Childhood Development and Research
Jamia Millia Islamia also imparts education from Nursery to Senior Secondary level.
- Balak Mata Centres
- Gerda Philipsborn Day Care Centre
- Mushir Fatma Jamia Nursery School
- Jamia Middle School
- Jamia Senior Secondary School
- Syed Abid Husain Senior Secondary School
- Jamia Girls Senior Secondary School
The main central library of the University is known as Dr Zakir Husain Library with its collection of about 400,000 artefacts—including books, microfilms, periodicals volumes, manuscripts, and rare books. Certain halls are dedicated to them. The library is open to all bonafide students of Jamia. Beside this, there are subject wise collection in libraries of some faculties and centres.
- Shah Rukh Khan – Bollywood actor
- Virender Sehwag – Indian Cricketer
- Barkha Dutt – NDTV editor / Journalist
- Kabir Khan – Film director
- Kiran Rao – Film producer / director / actor
- Anjana Om Kashyap - Aaj Tak editor / Journalist
- Danish Aslam– Film director
- Roshan Abbas – RJ / Film director
- Habib Faisal – Film writer / director
- Gagan Ajit Singh - International Hockey Player
- Muzammil Ibrahim – Model / actor
- Mohammad Hossein Adeli - Gas Exporting Countries Forum
- Loveleen Tandan - film director
- Vikas Jain - Co-Founder / MicroMax
- Rajeev Saxena - Vice President Lava Mobiles
- Sanjay Sahni - Head of Engineering Projects Division, Crompton Greaves Ltd.
- Anshu Gupta - Senior DGM, L&T Ltd.
- Deepak Khajouria - Vice President, Doosan Power Systems
- Harmanjit Singh Nagi -Vice Director and COO, Electricité de France
- Rajiv Mahajan -Senior Vice President, Tejas Networks
- Sunil Chopra -Co-Founder and Director, Spruce Consulting and Calance Software
- Anurag Gupta -CEO, Balaji Tele Films
- Mike Dhall -Senior Vice-President, ZenFocus
- Sachin Khandelwal -Senior General Manager, ICICI Bank
- Sukesh Jain -CEO, Airtel Enterprise Services
- Puneet Verma -Vice President, Barclays Bank PLC, UAE
- Upendra Giri -Founder, CEO of AstroWix Corporation
- Anil Gaur -Vice President, SW Development, Oracle Corporation
- Syed A. Asim -President, Religare Technova Ltd.
- Rabee Salman - Director, Orchid Academic Solutions.
- Sanjeev Rath - Hollywood actor
- Vishal Chauhan- Writer, Covert and Overt
- Kamal Akhtar
- List of universities in India
- Universities and colleges in India
- Education in India
- Education in Delhi
- Distance Education Council
- University Grants Commission (India)
- Jamia Millia Islamia Act 1988
- Firdous, Tairah (13 March 2012). "Jamia's vice chancellor focuses on quality programmes over expansion". Daily Mail. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "EMDI World - Advertising - Event Management Courses Mumbai - India". emdiworld.com.
- "About MCRC". ajkmcrc.org. Retrieved 2 April 2010.
- Full list of Faculties/Centres
- "Account Suspended". jamiaalumni.com.
- Faculty Of Engineering & Technology Jamia Millia Islamia
- "Jamia - Departments - Department of Electrical Engineering - Alumni". jmi.ac.in.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jamia Millia Islamia.|
- Official website
- The Hindu report
- Jamia Journal – JMI's Independed Student Newspaper
- Jamia Map
- Jamia Millia Islamia Alumni Association
- Faculty Of Engineering & Technology Jamia Millia Islamia