Viktor & Rolf
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Viktor Horsting & Rolf Snoeren (Co-founders and Partners)Renzo Rosso, Only the Brave Group, Partner
|Products||Apparel and Accessories|
Viktor Horsting and Rolf Snoeren met while studying fashion at the Arnhem Academy of Art and Design in The Netherlands. They began working together upon graduation. In 1993 they won a talent contest at the Festival International de Mode et de Photographie in Hyères, and moved to Paris in the same year.
In 1998, Viktor & Rolf put on an unauthorized fashion show during Paris Fashion Week to attract members of the press. In a show called "Russian Doll" they dressed model Maggie Rizer in layer upon layer of couture dresses, piled on top of one another. They have also used a collection of International Klein Blue clothes as a chroma-key blue-screen to project video. Their collections have featured performers such as Tilda Swinton, Tori Amos, Rufus Wainwright, Róisín Murphy, Brigitte and Joan Wasser. Another longtime cooperation is with photographers Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin.
In 2005 they opened their first shop in the Golden Quadrilateral (Quadrilatero d'Oro) in Milan (which closed in 2008), and were contracted by L'Oréal to develop their first perfume, called Flowerbomb. In 2006, their first men's perfume, Antidote, was introduced in the United States.
Viktor & Rolf have been included in exhibitions including Creative Time in the Anchorage: Exposing Meaning in Fashion through Presentation, Brooklyn Bridge Anchorage, New York, United States (May 1999).
- 2 Lips and Dancers and Space, Production by Robert Wilson and Nederlands Dans Theater III, Costume Design, The Netherlands (November 2004).
- Fairy Tales - International publication of "Sprookjes" (2011)
- Sprookjes - fairy tale book (2009)
- The House of Viktor & Rolf (German Translation), Collection Rolf Heyne, Germany (2009)
- The House of Viktor & Rolf, Merrel Publishers Ltd, London, UK (2008)
- Viktor and Rolf: Because We're Worth It!, DVD, Submarinechannel, The Netherlands (2006)
- COLORS: Viktor & Rolf & KCI, The Kyoto Costume Institute, Japan (2004)
- E-Magazine, Artimo Foundation, The Netherlands (2003)
- Viktor & Rolf, Haute Couture Book, Groninger Museum, The Netherlands (2000)
- Viktor & Rolf 1993-1999, Artimo Foundation, The Netherlands (1999)
- Icon Magazine Profile Archived 30 May 2006.
- Jones, Dolly (May 11, 2006). "H&M's New High Fashion Partner". Vogue.co.uk. Retrieved 2007-03-10.
- Wald, Matthew L. (2013-09-17). "Renzo Rosso takes control of Viktor & Rolf label". International Herald Tribune. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "Index Magazine interview". Indexmagazine.com. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- Wald, Matthew L. "Viktor & Rolf: concept to concrete". International Herald Tribune. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- Sarah Mower (2006-10-02). "review of spring 2007 RTW collection". Style.com. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "Flowerbomb: A Bouquet by Viktor & Rolf". L'Oréal. April 6, 2005. Archived from the original on 2006-03-16. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
Viktor and Rolf wanted to create a truly contemporary, abstract floral bouquet full of references that would convey both their classicism and their exuberance. Moreover, it was very important to them to design a true “classic” that would reflect the clothes they make. After experimenting with hundreds of combinations of scents, they succeeded in creating a bouquet of addictive floral notes that is authentically unique. The bouquet opens with top notes of bergamot that mingles with the soft fragrance of Sambac jasmine, a flower with a hint of orange blossom, followed by notes of Catleya orchid, freesia and Centifolia rose. A discreet but lively touch of Patchouli underlies this intensely floral fragrance.
- "The House of Viktor & Rolf". Barbican Art Gallery. September 2008. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- Preece, R.J. (1999) "Exposing meaning in fashion through presentation at Brooklyn Anchorage". World Sculpture News / artdesigncafe. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "Gioconda Barbuto Performance". Giocondabarbuto.com. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
Media related to Viktor & Rolf at Wikimedia Commons