|This article does not cite any sources. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Broadcast area||Metro Manila and surrounding areas|
|Slogan||"Metro Manila's Hip-Hop & RNB"|
|First air date||1975 (as KB 89.1)
1989 (as 89 DMZ)
2001 (as Wave 89.1/Wave 891)
|Callsign meaning||WAVe 89.1|
|Former callsigns||DWKB (1975-1989)
|Owner||Tiger 22 Media Corporation
(Blockbuster Broadcasting System)
DWAV (89.1 FM) - broadcasting as WAVE 89.1 - is a 24-hour Rhythmic Contemporary radio station that plays a Contemporary R&B, Funk, Motown, Hip-Hop, Old School Rap, Quiet Storm format. It is owned and operated by Blockbuster Broadcasting System, Inc. in the Philippines. The station's studio and transmitter is located at the room 201 Strata 2000 Bldg, Ortigas Center, Pasig City
KB 89.1 (1975–1988)
Known as DWKB-FM (KB 89.1) owned by the Intercontinental Broadcasting Corporation, the station first aired in 1975 and in a short time, became one of the country's most listened to easy listening FM music stations.
89 DMZ (1988–2001)
The station later rebranded as 89 DMZ (it also changed its callsign to DZMZ-FM), which played dance, hip hop and remixed music. The late rapper, Francis Magalona, worked with the station through his program, "The Word-up Show", which aired on Saturday nights. It also became the home of the "Mobile Circuit".
Wave 89.1/Wave 891 (2001–present)
In 2001, IBC and Blockbuster Broadcasting System went into a government-sponsored bidding and Blockbuster Broadcasting System won the rights to the frequency and the facilities (callsign then changed to DWAV). However, the network still shares its transmission facilities of IBC 13 until 2014 when it began transmitting from atop of Strata 2000.
Wave 89.1 began regular operations shortly on March 1, 2001. Managed by former Magic 89.9 jock Rolando Sulit a.k.a. Joe D'Mango, the station began its operations with a pop soul, pop jazz easy listening format. Some months later, its programming gradually shifted to full pop R&B (also known as Metro Manila's Hip-Hop & R&B).
Compilations CDs Of Wave 891
- Dream Sounds (MCA Music Philippines, 2002)
- Dream Sounds 2 (MCA Music Philippines, 2003)
- Dream Sounds 3 (EMI Music Philippines, 2005)
- Feel Good Fridays (EMI Music Philippines, 2006)
- MYMP: "New Horizon" (Ivory Music, 2006) (in collaboration with Magic 89.9, Jam 88.3, 90.7 Love Radio & Yes! FM 101.1)
- Freestyle: "Back At The Yard" (Viva Records, 2007) (in collaboration with Magic 89.9)
- Soul Obsessions: Duets With Thor (Ivory Music, 2007)
- Nyoy Volante: "Heartstrings" (Vicor Music Corp., 2008)
- MYMP: "Now" (Ivory Music, 2008) (in collaboration with Jam 88.3, 90.7 Love Radio & Yes! FM 101.1)
- Six O Slow/The Quiet Storm Album (MCA Music Philippines, 2009)
- Nina-Renditions of the Soul (Warner Music Philippines, 2009)
- Freestyle: "Playlist" (Viva Records, 2009) (in collaboration with Magic 89.9, Jam 88.3 & 99.5 RT)
- Princess Velasco: Addicted To Acoustic (Viva Records, 2009) (in collaboration with Jam 88.3 & Mellow 947)