|Member of the Ontario Provincial Parliament
for Niagara Falls
February 13, 2014
|Preceded by||Kim Craitor|
|Political party||New Democratic|
|Residence||Niagara Falls, Ontario|
Wayne Gates is a politician in Ontario, Canada. He is a New Democratic member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario who was elected in a by-election in February 2014, and re-elected in the 2014 and 2018 General elections. He represents the riding of Niagara Falls.
He was elected as a city councillor in Niagara Falls, Ontario in 2010. In February 2014, he was elected in a provincial by-election in the riding of Niagara Falls. He defeated Progressive Conservative candidate Bart Maves by 962 votes. He was re-elected in the 2014 provincial election defeating PC candidate Bart Maves by 7,424 votes. Gates is the only New Democrat in history to be re-elected in the Niagara Falls riding and holds the record for highest vote tally of any candidate ever in the Niagara Falls provincial riding, at 24,123 votes.
Gates has served in several critic portfolio roles as part of the Ontario NDP caucus, including Transportation, Economic Development, and Consumer Services.
In 2016, he scored a major victory by winning unanimous support for his motion to address lengthy wait times for MRI services in Niagara.
|Ontario general election, 2014|
|New Democratic||Wayne Gates||24,123||47.38||+7.84|
|Progressive Conservative||Bart Maves||16,699||32.80||-3.96|
|None of the Above||John Ringo Beam||498||0.98|
|Total valid votes||50,918||100.0|
|New Democratic hold||Swing||+5.90|
|Source: Elections Ontario|
|Ontario provincial by-election, February 13, 2014
Resignation of Kim Craitor
|New Democratic||Wayne Gates||14,526||39.44||+13.14|
|Progressive Conservative||Bart Maves||13,564||36.83||+2.00|
|People's Political Party||Troy Young||108||0.29|
|Total valid votes||36,832|
|N.D.P. gain from Liberal||Swing||+14.82%|
|Canadian federal election, 2006|
|New Democratic||Wayne Gates||12,214||21.0%||+0.2%|
|Total valid votes||58,204||100.0%|
|Canadian federal election, 2004|
|New Democratic||Wayne Gates||10,680||20.8%||+14.7%|
|Total valid votes||51,378||100.0%|
- "NDP take Niagara Falls riding". Toronto Sun. February 13, 2014.
- "Election results...riding by riding". The Globe and Mail. June 29, 2004. p. A14.
- "Election results...riding by riding". The Globe and Mail. January 24, 2006. p. A16.
- "NDP win Niagara Falls, Tories hold Thornhill in Ontario byelections". Global News. February 13, 2014.
- "General Election by District: Niagara Falls". Elections Ontario. June 12, 2014.
- "Province supports Gates MRI motion". Niagara Falls Review. October 28, 2016.
- "General Election Results by District, 054 Niagara Falls". Elections Ontario. 2014. Archived from the original on 17 June 2014. Retrieved 17 June 2014.