Wesmont station (NJ Transit)
Wesmont station shortly after its May 2016 opening
|Location||Highland Avenue & Johnson Drive, Wood-Ridge, New Jersey|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
28 spaces (temporary)|
215 spaces (planned)
|Opened||May 15, 2016|
|Passengers (expected)||800 daily boardings|
Wesmont is a regional rail station on the New Jersey Transit (NJT) Bergen County Line located in Wood-Ridge, New Jersey, positioned between Garfield and Rutherford stations, and two stops away from Secaucus Junction. Wesmont opened on May 15, 2016, as part of a $400 million development project, which was also named Wesmont Station, surrounding a former Curtiss-Wright aircraft engine factory. The station and tracks are located along Wood-Ridge's boundary with neighboring Wallington, although the platform can only be reached from the Wood-Ridge side. Wesmont is one of two rail stations in Wood-Ridge, as NJT's Pascack Valley Line serves the older Wood-Ridge station.
NJT announced plans for the station on June 11, 2008, with the overall re-development of the 70-acre (28 ha) site expected to include over 700 housing units, 130,000 square feet (12,000 m2) of retail and office space, a middle school, and a community center. Construction was scheduled to begin in 2009, with the station originally due to open in 2011. However, PCB contamination of the land required extensive environmental cleanup, after previous work for asbestos removal.
The first residential apartments opened on February 14, 2012, and the train station had its official groundbreaking on March 11, 2014. The station quietly opened on May 15, 2016, without a formal ceremony.
The station cost $18 million to build, with $6 million from NJ Transit and $12 million from Somerset Development. The station will ultimately have a 215-space parking lot, but only a 28-space temporary lot was available at the station's opening. Pedestrian and cycle routes are being developed to improve station access from nearby residential areas.
The station has one high-level island platform connected to the street by a walkway over the northbound track.
|M||Mezzanine||Pathway to parking lot|
|Track 1||← Port Jervis Line limited service toward Port Jervis (Garfield or Plauderville)|
← Bergen County Line toward Waldwick or Suffern (Garfield or Plauderville)
|Island platform, doors will open on the left|
|Track 2||Bergen County Line toward Hoboken (Rutherford) → |
Port Jervis Line toward Hoboken (does not stop here) (Rutherford) →
- Maxfield, Jen (May 17, 2016). "Long-Delayed NJ Transit Station Opens, But Not Many Riders". NBC New York. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- "Wood-Ridge to Gain New Train Station on Bergen County Line" (Press release). NJ Transit. June 11, 2008.
- "AvalonBay Communities joins team for Wesmont job". Real Estate Weekly. June 11, 2008.
- "Regularly Scheduled Board of Directors' Meetings: Final Agenda" (PDF). NJ Transit. March 13, 2013. p. 24.
- "Stalled Wood-Ridge Hub Tries to Get on Track". Wall Street Journal. March 23, 2011.
- "Wesmont Moves Ahead With Next Phase" (PDF). Wood-Ridge Newsletter. August 2013.
- Avalon at Wesmont [@AvalonatWesmont] (February 13, 2012). "We're happy to announce that tomorrow, February 14th, all of our residents will start moving in!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Clark, Susan Joy (March 12, 2014). "Wesmont Train Station breaks ground in Wood-Ridge". The Record.
- Moss, Linda (May 15, 2016). "After 5 years of missed deadlines, Wesmont train station in Wood-Ridge opens". The Record. Retrieved May 15, 2016.
- "NJ Transit to open Wesmont Station on Sunday". Progressive Railroading. May 12, 2016. Retrieved May 15, 2016.
- "NJ Transit to open Wesmont station". Railway Gazette. May 12, 2016. Retrieved May 15, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wesmont station (NJ Transit).|