Rutherford station from the Hoboken Terminal-bound mini high level platform in January 2015.
|Location||Park Avenue, Orient Way, Union Avenue, and Erie Avenue
Rutherford, New Jersey
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections||NJT Bus: 76 and 190|
|Bicycle facilities||Yes; bicycle racks|
|Station code||2105 (Erie Railroad)|
|Passengers (2012)||1,158 (average weekday)|
Rutherford, New Jersey, USA
|Area||0.5 acres (0.2 ha)|
|Architect||Charles W. Buchholz|
|Architectural style||Renaissance, Queen Anne|
|MPS||Operating Passenger Railroad Stations TR|
|NRHP Reference #||84002584|
|Added to NRHP||June 22, 1984|
|Designated NJRHP||March 17, 1984|
Rutherford is a New Jersey Transit railroad station served by the Bergen County Line. The station straddles the border between Rutherford and East Rutherford in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States. The station building and Hoboken Terminal-bound platform is located near a traffic circle at the junction of Park Avenue, Union Avenue, Erie Avenue and Orient Way known as Station Square, with a grade crossing on Park Avenue. The tracks serve as the border between the two municipalities and the Suffern-bound platform is actually located in East Rutherford along with its parking lot.
The original station was built in 1862 by the New York and Erie Railroad and was replaced by the current station which was built in 1898 by its successor, the Erie Railroad. The station building has been listed in the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and National Register of Historic Places since 1984 and is part of the Operating Passenger Railroad Stations Thematic Resource.
|■ Bergen County Line||toward Suffern (Wesmont)|
|■ Bergen County Line||toward Hoboken (Secaucus Junction)|
A two phase restoration project was started by New Jersey Transit in May 2008. The first phase to restore the outside of the building cost 1.4 million dollars and was completed in June 2009. The second phase of the project was to restore the interior and cost $1.9 million. The second phase was completed on October 25, 2010.
- List of New Jersey Transit stations
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Bergen County, New Jersey
- "List of Station Names and Numbers". Jersey City, New Jersey: Erie Railroad. May 1, 1916. Retrieved November 23, 2010.
- "Main and Bergen County Line Timetables" (PDF). Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places". New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Rutherford New Jersey Transit Railroad Station Survey
- The Record May 15, 2008.
- "Train station work all done". Leader Newspapers. Retrieved 11 November 2010.
- Media related to Rutherford (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons