West Point, Indiana
Looking east along Jefferson Street
Tippecanoe County's location in Indiana
|• Total||53.6 sq mi (138.8 km2)|
|• Land||53.5 sq mi (138.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||673 ft (205 m)|
|• Density||6.9/sq mi (2.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||445856, 2583475|
West Point (sometimes shown as Westpoint) is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Wayne Township, Tippecanoe County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. The population was 594 at the 2010 census.
West Point is located at State Road 25 at an elevation of approximately 673 feet. The town is in Wayne Township and sits about a quarter of a mile north of Flint Creek which flows west to the Wabash River.(40.345036, -87.043066) along
A village named Glen Hall existed on the north side of West Point in the 19th century; though still populated, the site is now generally considered part of West Point. Additionally, residents of the former town of Granville are listed using West Point addresses.
The West Point post office has been in operation since 1836.
Most residents of West Point are employed outside of the main portion of the town with agriculture and businesses in Lafayette and West Lafayette. There are a number of equestrian centers and horse barns with close ties to the town. There are two restaurants, The Pour House (a coffee shop), and Eddie Joe's Ice House. Martin's Body and Paint is an automotive repair shop located in the town. Cheesman Inc is a construction and contracting located centrally within West Point.
West Point is home to one church, West Point United Methodist. Another church was closed and converted to an antiques shop in the early 2010s.
There are several cemeteries and gravesites within the area. West Point Cemetery is the only one mainly located in the town.
West Point has a growing level of community involvement, which primarily revolves around West Point Park (the former location of West Point High School, now demolished) and the West Point Volunteer Fire Department. Each year, the West Point Park hosts a charity 5 km run, and the Volunteer Fire Department puts on a community fish fry to raise funds for equipment.
West Point residents are served by Tippecanoe School Corporation. The town used to have a high school (home of the West Point Cadets), which was closed due to consolidation in 1956 when Southwestern HS consolidated West Point, Shadeland, Romney, Wea & Jackson. McCutcheon High School opened in 1972. High school students now report to McCutcheon High School. Elementary and middle school students report to Mintonye Elementary School and Southwestern Middle School respectively.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- "USPS.com-Location Details". USPS.com. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "West Point, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- DeHart, R.P. "History of Wayne Township, Tippecanoe County, Indiana From: Past and Present of Tippecanoe County, Indiana". Ray's Place. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- "Tippecanoe County Township Histories: Wayne Township". Tippecanoe County INGenWeb. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- "Tippecanoe County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- "Indiana High School consolidation database- by county". Indiana Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association. Retrieved 15 February 2015.