Black Lunch Table
@ The African American Library at The Gregory School
The African American Library at The Gregory School, Houston, TX
|When and Where|
|Date:||Saturday, June 29, 2019|
|Address:||1300 Victor Street Houston, TX 77019|
The Black Lunch Table (BLT) will host an edit-a-thon at The African American Library at The Gregory School on Saturday, June 29, 2019 from 10am - 1pm. We will create, update, and improve Wikipedia articles pertaining to the lives and works of visual artists from the African Diaspora.
All are invited, with no specialized knowledge of the subject or Wikipedia editing experience required. A brief overview of the basics of Wikipedia editing will be given at the start of the edit-a-thon. We will have resources and a list of suggested artists, cultural creators, and institutions on hand.
The Black Lunch Table (BLT) project will create, update, and improve Wikipedia articles pertaining to the lives and works of artists from the African Diaspora. Together we will create historical documents that respond to the urgent need for a reconstruction of the art historical record.
All are invited, with no specialized knowledge of the subject or Wikipedia editing experience required. A brief overview of the basics of Wikipedia editing will be given at the start of the edit-a-thon.
History of The Black Lunch Table
The Black Lunch Table (BLT) is an ongoing collaboration between artists Jina Valentine (Fishantena (talk)) and Heather Hart (Heathart (talk)) which intends to fill holes in the documentation of contemporary art history. In its 13 year existence, the BLT has taken a variety of forms relating to this most recent iteration, in the form of the Wikipedia edit-a-thon. BLT’s aim is the production of discursive sites (at literal and metaphorical lunch tables), wherein cultural producers of color engage in critical dialogue on topics directly affecting our communities. They endeavor to create spaces, online and off, mirroring the activity and creativity present in sites where Blackness and Art are performed.
| October 2020 +/-
|BLT @ Maryland (online)
||October 9, 2020
|BLT @ VABF (online)
||October 17, 2020
|Edit Your Pride @ Iziko (online)
||October 17, 2020
||October 24, 2020
|San Diego 59 (online)
||October 24, 2020
|BLT @ U of W-M (online)
||October 25, 2020
|BLT @ PCA&D (online)
||October 27, 2020
|South Africa 6 (online)
||October 31, 2020
| November 2020 +/-
|BLT @ Seattle (online)
||November 3, 2020
|BLT @ UPenn (online)
||November 12, 2020
|Full Meetup Calendar|
For meetups in other languages, see the list on Meta
About The African American Library at The Gregory School
The opened its doors in 2009. Located in the historic Freeman’s Town on the edge of Downtown Houston, the library is housed in the Edgar M. Gregory School, which served as the first public school of African Americans in the city.
The first library of its kind in Houston and one of the few African American libraries in the country, the Gregory School endeavors to preserve, promote, and celebrate the rich history and culture of African Americans in the region and the African Diaspora.
The African American Library at The Gregory School
- Date: Saturday, June 29, 2019
- Time: 10am-1pm
- Location: The African American Library at The Gregory School, 1300 Victor Street, Houston, TX 77019
- Who should attend: Artists, historians, students, photographers, teachers, writers, journalists, curators, visitors, the curious...
- Experienced or new Wikipedians (We will provide assistance with Wikipedia formatting and syntax)
- Amateur historians or research pros (We will have a selection of resources available for your use)
- What to Bring: Your laptop and a friend!
- Hashtag: #BlackLunchTable
- Etherpad: BlackLunchTable - live doc to keep track of what we are all working on
- Training: Black Lunch Table Wikipedia Presentation
- Dashboard to Create Logins | Click Here
- Articles to Work On | Click Here
- Presentation / overview
- Editing time
- Goals: Create user account (if new to Wikipedia), create user page with at least one sentence, sign up for edit-a-thon on this Wikipedia Meetup page, make at least one edit to a Wikipedia page
- For more information about ongoing scheduled meetups see Black Lunch Table Meetup page
Possible articles to edit
Suggested artist pages for revision and/or creation! This is our master task list of visual artists of the African Diaspora who are under-represented on Wikipedia. Please add a name if you know someone appropriate who needs a page or needs editing. Please do not add an artist who has a substantial page. We are trying to create new pages and beef up under-represented ones.
- Etherpad: BlackLunchTable - List the article you're working on in this live doc to keep track and avoid duplicate work!
- denotes Infobox is needed
These articles are suggested, be sure they qualify according to Wikipedia's NOTABILITY guidlines before you create a new page. Thanks!
This list is automatically generated from data in Wikidata and is periodically updated by Listeriabot.
Edits made within the list area will be removed on the next update!
End of auto-generated list.