Wikipedia:Meetup/Vancouver, WA/Wiki Loves Libraries 2013
|This page is an archive. Do not edit the contents of this page. Please direct any additional comments to the current talk page.|
Library entrance in 2011
|When and Where|
|Date||Sunday, November 17, 2013|
|Address||Vancouver Community Library
901 C Street
Wikipedia Loves Libraries is a general initiative for improved Wikimedia engagement with libraries (and archives), and more concretely an annual campaign of wiki-workshops and edit-athons at libraries around Open Access Week in October/November.
In Vancouver, Washington, Wiki Loves Libraries will be held from 2:30–4:30pm on Sunday, November 17, 2013 at the Vancouver Community Library (901 C Street; 98660), part of the Fort Vancouver Regional Library District. The library can provide print resources on local subjects, meeting rooms, and laptops for those who do not bring their own.
Please use the talk page for questions, comments or suggestions.
- create and expand articles related to Vancouver and Clark County, Washington
- register and provide training to new contributors to Wikipedia, if present
- upload photographs and add to existing articles
- Category:Vancouver, Washington
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Clark County, Washington
- ---Another Believer (Talk) 15:16, 1 October 2013 (UTC)
- I'll likely be there! -kotra (talk) 05:42, 14 November 2013 (UTC)
- Visitor7 (talk) 03:49, 15 November 2013 (UTC)
- --Susan Walling 22:39, 17 November 2013 (UTC)
- I won't be able to attend in person, but will try to do some editing during the scheduled editathon. Good luck. Hobsonlane (talk) 23:04, 11 November 2013 (UTC)
- PrairieKid (talk) 04:23, 15 November 2013 (UTC)
- Some homework is in the way; can't attend. --Bloonstdfan360 (talk • contribs) 06:39, 17 November 2013 (UTC)
- Another Believer (talk · contribs): commons:Category:Vancouver Community Library, Washington School for the Blind
There were maybe eight of us present. Amy the librarian made helpful resources available to editors and talked about how Wikipedia comes up often in her work. Rather than active content creation, most of the session was Q&A-based and included discussion about various wiki-related topics. Attendees received an overview of how Wikipedia works, we discussed notability and markup, examined the edit toolbar and made some practice edits. Wikimedia Foundation brochures were also available; the cheatsheet proved to be most helpful. At least two participants took photographs of local sites before the meetup, most of which can be found at commons:Category:November 2013 in Washington (state). --Another Believer (Talk) 01:52, 18 November 2013 (UTC)
- Visitor7 (talk · contribs): Academy Building / House of Providence (5), Amtrak Station (5), Arts Building (3), Blue Star Memorial Highway (1), Clark County Courthouse (1), Covington House (10+), Elks Building (6), Esther Short Park (3), Fort Vancouver (25), Grant House (2), Great Western Malting (4), Heritage Building (6), Hidden House (2), Hudson's Bay High School (1), Interstate Bridge (3), Kiggins Bowl (4), John P. and Mary Kiggins House (2) + article expansion, Kiggins Building, Kiggins Theater (10+), Land Bridge (15), Marshall House (2), O. O. Howard House (3), Officers Row (45+), Old Apple Tree Park (4), Pearson Field (8), Pepsi Cola Bottling Plant (2), Pioneer Chapel (1), Post Office (6), Red Cross Building (1), Slocum House (4), Vancouver Barracks (10+), Vancouver Column (2), Vancouver Community Library (4), Vancouver National Bank Building (3), Washington School for the Blind (2), Weber Machine Works (9), among others of Downtown Vancouver and surrounding areas
- three photos added to National Register of Historic Places listings in Clark County, Washington
- photo added to Salmon Creek (Clark County, Washington), Hudson's Bay High School and Washington School for the Blind
Overall, more than 250 images of local sites were added to Wikimedia Commons.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to