Windows Mobile 6.0
|A version of the Windows Mobile operating system|
|Source model||Closed source|
|Released to |
|February 12, 2007|
|Kernel type||Windows CE|
|Preceded by||Windows Mobile 5.0|
|Succeeded by||Windows Mobile 6.1|
|Unsupported as of January 8, 2013|
Windows Mobile 6, formerly codenamed "Crossbow", was the version of Windows Mobile released on February 12, 2007 at the 3GSM World Congress 2007. It comes in three different versions: "Windows Mobile 6 Standard" for Smartphones (phones with touchscreens), "Windows Mobile 6 Professional" for Pocket PCs with phone functionality, and "Windows Mobile 6 Classic" for Pocket PCs without cellular radios.
Windows Mobile 6 is powered by Windows CE 5.0 (version 5.2) and is strongly linked to the then newly introduced Windows Live and Exchange 2007 products. Windows Mobile 6 Standard was first offered on the Orange's SPV E650, while Windows Mobile 6 Professional was first offered on the O2's Xda Terra. Aesthetically, Windows Mobile 6 was meant to be similar in design to the then newly released Windows Vista. Functionally, it works much like its predecessor Windows Mobile 5, but with improved stability.
To improve security Microsoft added Storage Card Encryption so that encryption keys are lost if device is cold-booted. Further updates, both security and feature wise, can now also be provided using Operating System Live Update
Among other improvements: 320x320 and 800x480 (WVGA) screen resolution support (The S01SH or "Em One" by Sharp was the first and only device to have an 800x480 screen on WM5), Improved Remote Desktop access (Available for only certain Pocket PCs), Customer Feedback option, Smartfilter for searching within programs and Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) support for select operators.
- Pocket PC 2000
- Pocket PC 2002
- Windows Mobile 2003
- Windows Mobile 5.0
- Windows Mobile 6.1
- Windows Mobile 6.5
- "Microsoft Support Lifecycle". Support. Microsoft. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- De Herrera, Chris. Windows CE/Windows Mobile Versions. pocketpcfaq.com. Retrieved September 6, 2007.
- "Windows Mobile 6 press release" (Press release). Microsoft. February 7, 2007.
- Langridge, Jason. "Differences between platforms" (png). Microsoft MSDN blogs.
- "Windows Live". Microsoft.com. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- Langridge, Jason (April 11, 2007). "Windows Mobile 6 offered on Orange, HTC Vox". Microsoft MSDN.
- Hess, Arne (April 24, 2007). "Windows Mobile 6 offered on Xda, HTC Herald". The Unwired. Retrieved June 4, 2007.
- "Office Mobile 2007 to be offered on Q3 2007". CNET. June 6, 2007. Archived from the original on June 10, 2007. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
- "Image Gallery: Windows Mobile 6 Professional screenshots, Windows Update, screen 1" Archived 2007-02-14 at the Wayback Machine. ZDNet. Retrieved October 10, 2007.
- Langridge, Jason (February 8, 2007). "Summary of Windows Mobile 6 Specs". Microsoft MSDN blogs.
- "Sharp EM-ONE S01SH Specs | Technical Specifications". PDAdb.net. Retrieved April 27, 2010.
- rem1010. "Improved Remote Desktop access". Content.zdnet.com. Archived from the original on March 17, 2010. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "RDP Client is not included in many WM6 devices". Theunwired.net. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Customer Feedback Option". Microsoft.com. February 1, 2009. Retrieved July 14, 2011.