Sapna Babul Ka... Bidaai
|Sapna Babul Ka... Bidaai|
The logo of Sapna Babul Ka... Bidaai
|Created by||Director Kut's Productions|
|Written by||Zama Habib |
Anjali Bahura Misra
M P Anamika
|Directed by||Rajan Shahi |
|Creative director(s)||Shefali Lal |
Richa Singh Gautam
|Starring||Parul Chauhan |
|Opening theme||"Bidaai" by Manish Tripathi|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||739|
|Cinematography||Arjun Rao |
|Running time||25 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Director Kut's Productions|
|Original network||STAR Plus|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Original release||8 October 2007 –|
13 November 2010
Sapna Babul Ka... Bidaai is an Indian soap drama that aired from 8 October 2007 to 13 November 2010 on STAR Plus during weekdays. It tells the story of a father and his two daughters and explores the social impacts of skin colour. The series was replaced by Gulaal.
This story is about Ragini (Parul Chauhan) and Sadhana (Sara Khan), who are cousins. The first few episodes portray the demise of Sadhana's mother due to her illness, and Sadhana's father being incapable of saving her due to him having an insufficient amount of money. Sadhana's father vows to travel to the United States of America to accumulate more money and endows the young Sadhana to her maternal uncle Prakash Chandra (Alok Nath). The show then takes a 17-year leap with Sadhana living in Agra and her father in California. Sadhana's father's only dream is to see her in the form of a bride. On the contrary, Sadhana longs to see her father. Living in the Sharma household, she manages to win both Ragini's and Prakash Chandra's hearts over, however Ragini's mother, Kaushalya (Vibha Chibber) is hesitant due to the difference of skin complexion between the two. One day, the news comes that Sadhana's father is returning from California and will take Sadhana back to Udaipur. Everyone rejoices. However, a turn of fate destroys all hope. Unfortunately, due to the violent weather, Sadhana's father's plane crashes and he dies. Sadhana is heartbroken to hear the news. She eventually ends up staying at the Sharma house.
Struggles for finding a suitable match for Ragini are on, owing to her dark complexion, and she ends up getting rejected in favour of the lighter-complexioned Sadhana. However, one proposal gets finalized, and Kaushalya and Nanima decide to hide Sadhana. However, due to unforeseeable circumstances, Sadhana reaches the wedding venue of Ragini, and the boy's family reject Ragini in favour of Sadhana once again, which causes Kaushalya to attempt suicide, but Prakashchand saves her. Things eventually start getting back to normal, and Sadhana gets a new job.
Sadhana starts working at the Rajvansh house as a tutor. Ranveer (Kinshuk Mahajan) is one of the sons of the house who went to the United States of America to study abroad and eventually comes back. He has a brother Alekh (Angad Hasija) who is mentally unstable. Alekh's mother, Vasundhara (Seema Kapoor) thinks that marriage can help Alekh to get better. The Sharmas suffer from major financial problems and are threatened to lose their house. Vasundhara offers Sadhana money to save their home in exchange for Sadhana and Alekh's marriage, but Sadhana also puts forth the additional demand of getting Ranveer married to Ragini, because she witnesses Ranveer protecting Ragini's honour from a few hooligans after they tease her dark complexion and comes to the conclusion that he would make a good life partner for Ragini, and she for him. Vasundhara tricks Sadhana by accepting her demand, but it is only a facade. She sends off Ranveer to the U.S., while Sadhana gets married to Alekh, but promises to get them married once he returns. Sadhana marries Alekh, but the marriage of Ragini with Ranveer does not happen as Ranvir falls in love with Sonia while in the U.S., and brings her along with him to India. However, it is later revealed that Sonia is a gold-digger who only attached herself to Ranveer for his money. After this revelation, Ranveer is heartbroken and begins to sink into depression. However, as a twist of fate, it is Ragini who ends up saving him from this fate when she dials his number by mistake, and in beautiful words, advises him to move on in life. Ranveer is massively enthralled by her words, and slowly, Ranveer and Ragini begin talking on the phone regularly, unaware of the other's identity. They refer to themselves as Anmol and Anamika. Sadhana eventually figures this out, but does not reveal it to them and leaves the fate of their friendship to God. She, however, lets Alekh in on this secret.
Ranveer and Ragini begin to fall in love, and decide to meet each other. However, when they meet, both are shocked, and due to the interference of Vasundhara (who doesn't want to accept Ragini as her daughter-in-law due to her dark complexion), Ranveer thinks that Ragini knew about his identity all along, but chose to play with his feelings in order to marry into a rich family. Ragini, meanwhile, is shocked to learn that Ranveer is Anmol, and is heartbroken when he seemingly rejects her. Ranveer and Ragini, both get to know that Sadhana knew about their real identities all along and blame her for hiding it from them. However, misunderstandings eventually get cleared up after Ranveer realises that he truly loves Ragini when he learns that very much like him, she too had no idea of his real identity and had truly loved him all along. He decides that his life is not complete without her and fights tooth and nail to win her love after leaving her heartbroken. Slowly but surely, their love wins over their families, especially their opposing mothers, and they eventually marry. After their marriage, they decide to help Sadhana in order to cure Alekh so that she can experience a fulfilling marital life as well. They are successful in their quest. Misunderstandings develop between Sadhana and Alekh after his recovery, however, they also get cleared up eventually, and they all live happily together for a while. Ragini and Sadhana soon become pregnant and the whole family are overjoyed. However, nine months later, tragedy strikes as Sadhana dies in a fire, whilst saving Ragini but her unborn baby is saved. The whole family are devastated of Sadhana’s death. Ragini thus decides to raise Sadhana’s daughter up too along with hers.
The show then takes a seven-year leap where Ragini is shown bringing her daughter Tamanna up along with Khushi who is Sadhana's daughter. Ragini and the family commemorate the seventh anniversary of Sadhana's death. It is revealed that Ranveer died, too, in a rock avalanche while saving his friend Anmol (Apurva Agnihotri)'s life. Anmol promised Ranvir to look after his family and as a result, he lives in the Rajvansh household as Tamanna's father. After Sadhana and Ranveer's deaths, Alekh has lost his mental balance once again but eventually recovers thanks to the care of a girl named Sakshi (Sulagna Panigrahi) who comes close to him. The show ends with a two-hour special episode in which Ragini remarries to Anmol and Alekh to Sakshi. Guests come to congratulate them and dance. Both couples take deceased Sadhana and Ranveer's blessings and perform the Bidaai (farewell) ritual.
- Parul Chauhan as Ragini Ranvir Rajvansh Sareen (Ep 1-739) (2007-2010)
- Sara Khan as Sadhana Alekh Rajvansh (dead) (Ep 1-639) (2007-2010)
- Angad Hasija as Alekh Inderjit Rajvansh, Sadhana’s ex-husband, Sakshi’s husband and Khushi’s father (2008-2010)
- Kinshuk Mahajan as Ranveer Inderjit Rajvansh, Ragini's first husband, Alekh’s brother and Tamanna’s father (dead) (2008-2010)
- Sulagna Panigrahi as Sakshi Alekh Rajvansh, Alekh's second wife (2010)
- Apurva Agnihotri as Anmol Sareen, Ragini's second husband (2010)
- Nirali Desai as Tamanna Ranvir Rajvansh (Ragini and Ranveer’s daughter) (2010)
- Divya Naaz as Khushi Alekh Rajvansh (Sadhna and Alekh's daughter) (2010)
- Alok Nath as Prakash Chandra Sharma, Sadhna's uncle, Ragini's father (2007-2010)
- Vibha Chibber as Kaushalya Prakash Chandra Sharma, Sadhna's aunt, Ragini's mother (2007-2010)
- Ashita Dhawan as Malti Vineet Sharma, Ragini's sister in law, Vineet's wife (2007-2010) Seslendirme: Burcu Güneştutar
- Naveen Saini as Vineet Prakash Chandra Sharma, Sadhna's cousin brother, Ragini's brother (2007-2010)
- Siddharth Kumar as Kavya Vineet Sharma, Malti and Vineet's son (2010)
- Amardeep Jha as Sumitra Naani (2007-2010)
- Mahesh Thakur as Kishanchand Awasthy, Sadhna's father (2007)
- Seema Kapoor as Vasundhara Inderjit Rajvansh, Ranveer and Alekh's mother (2008-2010) Seslendirme: Birtanem Candaner
- Avinash Wadhawan as Inderjit Rajvansh, Ranveer and Alekh's father (2008-2010) Seslendirme: Bora Seçkin
- Natasha Rana as Ambika Satyen Rajvansh, Satyen's wife (2008-2009)
- Aliraza Namdar as Satyen Rajvansh (2008-2009)
- Vimarsh Roshan as Naveen Satyen Rajvansh (2008-2010)
- Preeti Puri as Avni Naveen Rajvansh (2008-2010)
- Rahul Lohani as Karan Inderjit Rajvansh (2010)
- Shafaq Naaz as Guni Rajvansh (2008-2010)
- Shabana Mullani as Dolly Rajvansh (2008-2010)
- Prerna Wanvari as Shivani (2010)
- Puneet Tejwani as Dr. Shlok (2009)
- Aruna Singhal as Shakuntala (2009)
- Manish Raisinghan as Saket (2007)
- Madhura Naik as Sonia Singh/ Sonia Chopra (2008)
- Eva Grover as Sheetal (2008)
- Amar Upadhyay as Advocate Dhananjay Singhania (2009)
- Utkarsha Naik as Sulakshana (2007)
- Kamalika Guha Thakurta as Vidyashree Shasthry (2010)
- Shambhavi Sharma as Gujri (2007-2010)
- Rajshri Thakur as Nishtha Vasudev (2009)
- Pragati Mehra as Sadhna's aunt, Kamlesh's wife (2007)
- Rajendra Chawla as Kamlesh Awasthy, Sadhna's uncle, Kishanchand's brother (2007)
- Sadiya Siddiqui as Ragini's dance teacher (2007)
- Smriti Sinha as Maillika Mehra (2010)
- Amit Singh Thakur as Mr. Mehra (2010)
- Seerat Alam as Isha (2010)
- Puneet Sachdev as Tarun (2010)
- Neha Bamb as herself from Maayka
- Dalljiet Kaur as herself from Santaan
- Additi Gupta as Heer from Kis Desh Mein Hai Meraa Dil
- Harshad Chopra as Prem from Kis Desh Mein Hai Meraa Dil
- Puja Banerjee as Vrinda from Tujh Sang Preet Lagai Sajna
- Drashti Dhami as Geet from Geet – Hui Sabse Parayi
- Karan Tacker as Shantanu from Rang Badalti Odhani
- Hina Khan as Akshara from Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai
- Karan Mehra as Naitik from Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai
- Ragini Khanna as Suhana from Sasural Genda Phool
- Jay Soni as Ishaan from Sasural Genda Phool
- Pooja Gaur as Pratigya from Mann Kee Awaaz Pratigya
- Rajesh Khattar as Bittu
- Manasi Parekh Gohil as Gulaal to promote the show Gulaal
- Vishal Singh as Rajveer (Episode 19)
- Rucha Gujarathi as Sonia (Episode 19)
- "Star Plus to launch Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai". Indian Television.
- "Bidaai gets grand farewell from viewers". Indian Television.
- "'Everyone cried on the last day of Bidaai'". Rediff.
- "Hindi Serials Which Prove That Younger Siblings Are Always Used As The Scapegoat".
- "Sapna Babul Ka — Bidaai's ratings slip". hindustantimes.com. 28 August 2010. Archived from the original on 22 July 2018. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "'Sapna Babul Ka Bidaai' to reach end on Star Plus". bizasialive.com. 27 September 2010. Archived from the original on 22 July 2018. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "Generation leap as Sadhana passes away". Times of India.
- "Apurva Agnihotri in Bidaai". Indian Express.
- "Is integration between two shows working?". Daily News and Analysis.