York University station
York University station construction in August 2015
|Location||Keele Campus (York University)
|Architectural style||Postmodern architecture|
|Opening||December 17, 2017 |
York University is a subway station under construction on the extension of Line 1 Yonge–University in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located on the main Keele Campus of York University, near Ian Macdonald and York Boulevards.
More than 1,400 TTC buses serve the campus every weekday at the York University Bus Loop, in addition to hundreds more spread across other services including GO Transit, York Region Transit/Viva, Brampton Transit and Greyhound. The development of a subway station will greatly reduce the number of buses entering campus by effectively eliminating the 196 York University Rocket bus route, and will serve to greatly improve public transit access to the university and surrounding area.
The official ground breaking ceremony for the Spadina Extension was held on 27 November 2009; however, tunnelling operations did not commence until June 2011. The project was expected to be completed by the autumn of 2016, but is officially opening on December 17, 2017.
The first stage of construction for the station began in May 2011. On October 11, 2011, one worker was killed and five others injured when a drilling rig working on the station site collapsed.
- A. Byford, CEO (26 March 2015). "Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension – Schedule and Budget Change" (PDF). Toronto Transit Commission. Retrieved April 2015.
The TYSSE project is currently 70 per cent complete. However, it has been determined that the publicly stated opening date of the end of 2016 and the approved budget are not achievable. This report recommends that a comprehensive project “reset” involving a new third-party project manager be undertaken to deliver the project by December 31st, 2017Check date values in:
- "Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension Project - York University Station - Approval of Conceptual Design" (PDF). Toronto Transit Commission. 2009-09-24. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension breaks ground". Railway Gazette. 30 November 2009. Retrieved January 2013. Check date values in:
- "Tunnel boring for Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension begins". Toronto Transit Commission. 17 June 2011. Retrieved January 2013. Check date values in:
- "Schedule Status Update" (PDF). Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension Project. Toronto Transit Commission. 24 October 2012. Retrieved January 2013. Check date values in:
- Scallan, Niamh; Raveena Aulakh (11 October 2011). "Workers were trapped in their machines in deadly accident at TTC site". Toronto Star. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
Media related to York University (TTC) at Wikimedia Commons